Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Dads old strange webber?  (Read 2990 times)

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: My Dads old strange webber?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2019, 02:47:14 PM »
Yep...now on eBay!

$900 and away we go!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2019, 02:49:26 PM »
Popcorn, anyone?
[emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897]
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

jmike314

• WKC Brave
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2019, 02:56:59 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
“Crying is for little girls, babies, and men who just had their ears ripped off.” - Oobedoob Benubi

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2019, 03:27:44 PM »
I guess money is worth more then memories. Or someone is full of it.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2019, 04:33:03 PM »
Gotta say that I’m not too surprised.  I’m more surprised that it took as long as it did to be listed.  At least he used our tutorial to package it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2019, 05:07:12 PM »
Listing doesnt say its missing the ash pan either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2019, 05:30:39 PM »

I guess money is worth more then memories. Or someone is full of it.

I agree to an extent. However, most people simply can’t save everything sentimental. There just isn’t enough space in most cases. This might have been low on the sentimental list to this person.

On the flip side, I have a friend that treasures his late fathers Weber and actually started acquiring more because of it. He does have two properties and plenty of storage space though.

Just saying keeping everything is not always an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2019, 05:49:51 PM »
I’d agree to disagree there HoosierKettle.  Looking back over the last 4 years you can certainly see a change in finding rare Kettles. You used to find old redheads and brownies for $50 and under. Now it seems someone “stumbles upon” their dads old Weber or just found an old grill in the barn and starts asking the usual. We tell them it’s rare, priceless, one of a kind, congrats and enjoy the memories. Soon after it’s on the bay for a grand or more.

Not trying to sound like a grumpy old man here, just an observation on how this hobby has changed from my perspective. I don’t mind paying what I’d consider fair price for an old grill but my pockets aren’t deep. I can’t justify spending $500+ on a kettle when I’ve got 2 kids to feed and another on the way. If most others can, good for them.

As for the memories, I lost my dad when I was 14. I’d make space for his stereo equipment, coin collection and so on but it’s gone now. If you really cherish something you’ll make room for it and pass it down the family. This was just a grab at the good old dollar. This is what has made me stop looking for grills lately. I still get pinged when something is close by but anymore the excitement is gone as someone has already messaged the seller after the ad has been up for a mere 20 minutes.

To the OP, good luck with the auction, hope you get what you want out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2019, 06:04:44 PM »
I don't think we should read too much into this or vent disappointment.

This guy didn't even know what it was. Who knows how much shit this guys dad has left behind to go through.
Also, just because we're all into old grills doesn't mean this guy OR HIS DAD was into old grills.

My dad has a basement just packed full of oddball clutter. The things that will be sentimental will be so because HE WAS INTO THEM.

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2019, 06:37:25 PM »
It's  a rare webbbber let's all just buy it or something because idk we need it

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2019, 06:40:15 PM »
these ads are terrible and need to go.

wnbasac

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2019, 10:26:59 AM »
Wow, I did list the Weber because of my brothers . However I’m going to kill the listing and just leave it boxed and in my garage till everything blows over with family..

One things for sure after disassembling the Kettle I found;
1.ZERO RUST
2. The enamels in great shape top ,bottom and inside
3. The wheel is in excellent condition
4. The only thing I might do is powder coat the handles and refurbish the wooden handle on top ( I’ll keep the original )

I’ve been approached by quite a few people with offers but it was never my intent to sell it. Sometimes things get out of control with family who are pressuring me to sell.

Thanks for your help and comments , have a Smokey Day

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2019, 10:52:09 AM »
Just saying keeping everything is not always an option.

That's right. I've moved more than my share of times and my neighbors have been glad pretty much everywhere I left. They're were glad because I left, probably, but certainly glad with all the stuff they got. Not everybody has the room for stuff and kids, divorce, job changes, etc. before you know it you can be buying the same thing half a dozen times.

Looking back over the last 4 years you can certainly see a change in finding rare Kettles. You used to find old redheads and brownies for $50 and under. Now it seems someone “stumbles upon” their dads old Weber or just found an old grill in the barn and starts asking the usual. We tell them it’s rare, priceless, one of a kind, congrats and enjoy the memories. Soon after it’s on the bay for a grand or more.

This has happened to a lot of hobbies. You have the hardcore guys who were a small community or just individuals who liked the same thing, they bought all they could and actually used the stuff for whatever it was for. Some enterprising souls found out hey I have this thing I don't care about that I got from somebody I don't care about and it's worth a few hundred or few thousand bucks. I smoked cigars before it was fashionable and I saw the really good ones I used to get for 90 cents a piece and smoke every week get up to 10 bucks a piece and the quality went down as the price went up. I have other interests and I'm sure a lot of you guys do too. Same story. Once somebody got the idea the stuff we were using is not made any more it became a collectible on ebay. It sucks for sure.

Just to be clear, I'm just responding to the two posts I quoted. I was not following this thread and I have no thoughts and no comments about the actual case. Just wanted to say I understand what you guys are saying and I agree with it.
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2019, 12:01:43 PM »
Personally, you shouldn't really worry about all the comments.  Most are just griping because, even if you are not one of them, there are a whole bunch of people who have no real interest in the grills, but wind up scooping up the ones that are cheap & then resell for big bucks such that the vast majority of us cannot even afford or justify the purchase.  I do NOT believe you are one of them, because if you were one of them, I doubt you'd give a rat's ass about the comments because you'd be in it strictly for the profit & wouldn't have pulled the auction.

A lot of comments here seemed to think your opening bid was for more than it was worth.  Someone may have popped for it, but maybe nobody would.  One thing is when opening bids are so high, you are less likely to get as much bidding and often there is only a single bid.  IF you have something that will have a LOT of interest, you often get a higher price by starting with a low bid.  That is NOT true if it will not generate a lot of interest.  But, yours WILL generate a lot of interest.

Frankly, I don't know if your grill is worth $900.  I am one who could not justify paying that much for it, at least at this time.  What I do know is that if you re-list it with a $0.99 opening bid, nobody will bitch, there will be LOADS of interest & bids and you will get a very good price, quite possibly more than by having the higher opening bid.  One thing about ebay, is that interest & bids results in your grill being seen by even more people because of their search criteria.  Also, with a low opening bid, often people will bid higher than they originally anticipated because after they began bidding on an item, they want to "win" the item and often justify going a bit higher, even if they would never have paid that much outright for the item. 

Take lots of pictures, including of the bottom of the bowl, inside of bowl & lid, & the whole thing from basically all angles.  Use up as many pics as they allow at no extra charge.  It will surely get posted in here.  If you would like, you could pm me & I'll post it for you & I can even post it a couple other places if you would like.  I think it is very cool, but would not pay your opening price.  Others might, but they might not.

Sometimes, with a bid so high (even on non-grill collectables), even someone who THINKS about paying that much can be a bit leery, thinking that it is too high & they have no shot at recouping their money when they eventually decide to get rid of it.  Sometimes, they gamble that nobody else will & that it will be relisted for a lower amount.  However, when you have an opening bid on it that is low, people bid & get somewhat invested in it.  The fact that someone else is willing to pay $x justifies them bidding higher. 

I'd consider doing this anyway. I think you'll do quite well on it.  Whatever you do, don't use ebay "reserves" because that just dampens interest.  After each bid that does not meet the reserve, it says "reserve not met".  At a normal auction with reserve, they just mention the auction is with reserve.  After each bid, they don't say "sorry, the reserve has NOT been met".  It is better to just leave that info until the end so as not to interrupt the rhythm & enthusiasm of the bidding. 

Best of luck to you.  It is a pretty grill. 

Wow, I did list the Weber because of my brothers . However I’m going to kill the listing and just leave it boxed and in my garage till everything blows over with family..

One things for sure after disassembling the Kettle I found;
1.ZERO RUST
2. The enamels in great shape top ,bottom and inside
3. The wheel is in excellent condition
4. The only thing I might do is powder coat the handles and refurbish the wooden handle on top ( I’ll keep the original )

I’ve been approached by quite a few people with offers but it was never my intent to sell it. Sometimes things get out of control with family who are pressuring me to sell.

Thanks for your help and comments , have a Smokey Day
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 12:06:00 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

wnbasac

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2019, 12:51:41 PM »
Hal, thanks and I intentionally listed it high in hopes no one would bid and I still received a lot of emails. So I have to be more through on any listing in the future.  I know for now I have the final say and if I do ascertain offers it won’t be on a forum format . I listed one of my dads cars a 1955 studebaker 2 dr ht with 31,000 miles in EXCELLENT condition and it was an email nightmare!

Anywho, Tks for your input I really appreciate it 👍🏽