Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Spicy and savory drummies  (Read 454 times)

creed

• Happy Cooker
Spicy and savory drummies
« on: May 24, 2019, 04:54:56 PM »
I’ve been lurking around here since I first bought my kettle about 5 years ago and have learned a lot from the forums.  I’ve been taking pictures of my cooks to serve as inspiration in the future, but foolishly never took notes so I sometimes have to reinvent the wheel/relearn lessons.  I decided to start taking notes and figured I might as well post here and pay forward all the inspiration/tips I’ve learned here over the years.

Saw a family pack of drummies at Kroger yesterday for $5 and decided to pick them up for dinner tonight.  I made 2 rubs, one spicy for me (mostly dried cayenne pepper from the garden last year with some garlic powder, salt, and pepper) and one savory for my 3 year old and SWMBO (dried rosemary, time, and oregano also from last year’s garden harvest with garlic powder/salt/pepper).  Pat the winds dry and sprinkle with rub.

I fired up half a chimney of charcoal and set up a 2 zone kettle with the plan to cook over direct heat but have an indirect zone for flare ups and to rotate the drummies since they varied in size.  Next time I’ll just go single zone and do direct heat because with frequent rotations (rotate every 4-5 minutes or sooner if a bunch of smoke started coming out the vent) I didn’t really end up needing the indirect zone and the direct heat made the skin nice and crispy.  Cooked until instant-read thermometer hit 180, about 30-45 minutes. 

Total cook time was around an hour because I had to cook in batches given the decision to go 2-zone, I just moved batch 1 to indirect halfway through and then seared them again at end to crisp the skin up.

Both batches were delicious, but the skin on batch 2, which I kept over direct heat the whole time, was definitely better.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jd

• WKC Brave
Re: Spicy and savory drummies
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 07:32:14 PM »
looks good, nice job
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

griz400

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 03:09:17 AM »
real nice bbq there ...

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 05:22:32 AM »
Both batches look fantastic. I'm still trying to master the right, crispy texture on chicken, especially when I spatchcock a whole one. Nice work!
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.