Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: greetings from British Canuckistan!  (Read 625 times)

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
greetings from British Canuckistan!
« on: May 02, 2019, 06:24:58 AM »
hello all! I've been a gas griller all my 40 years, but got taken by the idea of a charcoal grill, so now debating on the Classic Kettle Premium or the Master Touch, with a heavy leaning towards the Master Touch as from what I've read, the lid holding system is worth the price difference and the height from the longer legs being pure gravy.

I'm hoping to get advise, tips and tricks on how to use it and get suggestions for all the must have tools and accessories.

two big questions I have are:
1) is it worth upgrading to a cast iron grill over the included stainless steel one?
2) can you still get the propane starters for the modern Weber kettles?

now back to me...

I'm just about to turn 40, live in BC, Canada...currently up in the wettest place in North America, Prince Rupert. I'm into computers...in fact, I'm a tech reseller for a company that focuses on SMB/Enterprise technologies (pc's, notebooks, servers, networking, printing, point of sale, barcoding, etc). my hobbies include computers, a lil bit of gaming (not much anymore), astronomy and shooting (haven't hunted in a long long time).

so let's get the party started!   8)
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
Re: greetings from British Canuckistan!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 06:37:19 AM »
Welcome from Virginia Beach, VA, U.S.A.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 07:32:48 AM »
Welcome to the club!!!

Greetings from Greendale, WI.  You’ll find a ton of helpful info/tips just browsing through the threads.  As far as grate choice, you should keep in mind that cast iron comes with maintenance.  IMO, I’d put the money towards the Weber sear grate insert and a vortex. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 08:59:08 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga. I like @brewtownbeatdown stated cast iron comes with maintenance and where you live you may be chasing more rust than food on your cast iron grate
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 10:07:29 AM »
thanks for the greetings, everyone! I'm not afraid of maintenance...I prefer using cast iron cookware in the kitchen as much as possible too.

I've read the Weber Sear Grate is too thick for it's own good and has too much mass for it's size and doesn't heat up well for searing. that Vortex device looks nifty...so simple too!  :) 
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 12:54:47 PM »
Welcome from Chicago.  I haven't used a cast iron grate, so I can't tell you.  I think I got one of the little Weber inserts for a grill that I picked up early last week that had a gourmet grate. 
regards,
Hal

wgjones3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 07:14:13 PM »
Howdy!

For whatever it's worth, I cook everything indoors on cast iron. I've probably got more than 20 pieces of cast iron cookware that get regular use. I'm perfectly happy with the grates that come with my Weber. One complaint I've seen about the cast iron grates, particularly for the larger grills, is that they're brittle and prone to break if dropped.

I'm pretty sure you can get a propane starter, but a chimney starter works wonderfully. I've been using Weber Char-baskets in my Jumbo Joe and I've found that a squirt of lighter fluid is all one of those baskets needs to get going. I use lump charcoal exclusively, no idea if the briquettes would light as well.

I'm wanting a Master Touch myself, but the copper mid-range kettle is awful tempting too. For the time being, though, my 18" Jumbo Joe is doing everything I need (except for smoking whole turkeys, I use an Old Smokey for that).

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 06:24:13 PM »
First welcome aboard!  Cast iron is awesome when properly maintained.  I have ci grates on my weber Q gasser and love it!  Keek then oiled and maintained and they will be great for years!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson