Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: grease stain  (Read 1055 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
grease stain
« on: January 24, 2019, 07:17:39 PM »
Hey guys, I feel like an idiot.  I was cooking the other night on my 63 Wood Dale Fleetwood, and I placed one of my welding gloves on the MLH to protect from the heat.  Well, I got busy doing other things, and apparently the glove had built up grease on it.  Sure enough, I come out later and there's a giant grease stain that dripped down the side of the lid.  Next day, there it is, a black stain on the very faded gray of the lid.  I don't have a pic, because I'm so angry about it...tried the PAM trick, but the lid is staying gray...and there's the stain...I'm wondering if any of you have any other ideas on what to do.  What I'm really hoping is that the Vegas summer sun will do the trick and cause it to fade into the overall patina, but I'd like to do try to do something about this.  This Fleetwood, "Old Reliable" is my favorite kettle.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Troy

• Statesman
Re: grease stain
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 09:47:21 PM »
degreasers
start with citrus degreasers and 0000 steel wool

there are some specialty products that will work better
home depot sells a pumice stone to remove stains from porcelain. you have to be super careful, but they work. I removed really bad rust stains from my glen blue with one

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 05:52:43 AM »
I'm with Troy on this.  0000 steel wool does wonders.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Bodhi

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 06:30:42 AM »
Leave it alone, it has a story to tell.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 07:29:11 AM »
Don't worry it happens.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 10:26:13 AM »
Don't worry it happens.

I like that cork handle for the to vent!

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Mrnomad

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 05:38:22 PM »
Toothpaste may work. Takes light rust off chrome without scratching.
11 kettles, 2 WSMs, and 1 lonely gas grill!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 12:10:36 PM »
@crowderjd  Today I removed a grease stain with the 0000 steel wool I told you about.

Before

After

I used this on a newer kettle.  I have also used it on my H-Code Brownie to clean it and give it a mirror like shine.  Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:44:00 AM by Davescprktl »
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson