Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Charcoal Grill  (Read 2306 times)

Big Dick Nick

• Happy Cooker
First Charcoal Grill
« on: January 17, 2019, 09:16:03 PM »
So I am looking to purchase a Weber 22" kettle grill relatively soon. After doing a lot of research, I have found a lot of stuff out but it seems as if most is preference. To start out with the grill, I was looking to buy a slow n sear as well as a BBQ vortex. I have heard mixed reviews of the SNS but I do not mind paying $100 if it lasts and does as it should. It also seems like it will keep the grill a little cleaner. Now for the questions... is there any proper way to maintain the grill? Obviously cleaning the grates and vents but is there anything that will help keep rust away? I would like to take the proper care and have this for a long time. The next question is, what are some must have accessories? Things that will make the cooking process easier (since im new to charcoal grilling). For example, what is a good thermometer that won't break the bank? And what difference does the probe vs instant read make? Lastly, what kind of charcoal is the best to use? I am planning on doing a lot with this grill from burgers and hot dogs to ribs, brisket, and even pizza. These grills seem very universal with cooking so I am up for anything. Thanks

MadGasser

• WKC Brave
Re: First Charcoal Grill
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 02:47:35 AM »
Get a charcoal chimney to start your fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 04:30:33 AM »
Keep it basic at first. Learn the grill, and grow from there. I don't have all the fancy gadgets out there... just the basics I've been cooking with for years. These kettles last for almost ever, and thrive on neglect. I'm not saying neglect them cleaning wise, but they are very forgiving and good, solid cookers. Buy yourself a good grate cleaning brush, and brush the grate after each use. I use a charcoal chimney to start my coals, with a can of Sterno under it to light it. Works like a charm, and no newspaper ash blowing around.

Beer. You'll need beer.

Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 05:04:28 AM »

Keep it basic at first.

Beer. You'll need beer.

Couldn’t agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 05:25:50 AM »
X2 on the beer.
X3 on the chimney. I even use the chimney with my gas assist performer.

An instant-read thermometer is a necessity because you will use it to make sure that your poultry and sausages are fully cooked and that your steaks are the way you want them. The probe thermometer is awesome for monitoring your grate temperature and the internal temperature of large chunks of meat during long cooks (smoking/barbequing/low-n-slow/hot-n-fast, etc). Thermoworks products are pretty much the standard and are the only ones that I have experience with. There are others that have good reputations also.

What is the best charcoal? Ask 10 of us and you may get 10 different answers. I break charcoal down into three categories, and I use all three for different purposes.

Lump charcoal: carbonized natural hardwood in various sized pieces.
Natural hardwood briquettes: ground up carbonized hardwood and a starch binder compressed into uniform pieces.
Regular briquettes: ground up carbonized hardwood+mineral carbon+limestone+borax.

There will be a lot off experimentation until you settle on the gear and techniques that you like best. This forum is full of information, enjoy the ride!

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 06:09:14 AM »

...An instant-read thermometer is a necessity

YES! I have a couple of Thermapens in my arsenal. Much needed piece of equipment...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 07:19:19 AM »
No need for SnS or vortex at first, if ever.  I own and love my SnS, use it in a majority of my cooks, but did fine for 15+ years on a Kettle before owning a SnS. 

Must have accessories are charcoal baskets, chimney, gloves....long tongs and spatula, & a good meat thermometer (Thermapen is excellent).  Everything else, accessory wise, is gravy. 

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 09:43:20 AM »
I agree with most posters.  Start with the basics, you'll have plenty of time to add the extras as you get more experience. 

I tend to avoid the, made for, BBQ tongs/spatulas as I think they are all crap.  I always have used these:

They just work better ! ! !

Down the road, in addition to the SnS and Vortex, both good additions to your toolbox, I would also recommend a set of GrillGrates.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 12:13:34 PM »
Like most have said, spend your accessory money now on a good instant read thermometer like the Thermapen MK4. You don’t need to start off with a vortex, SnS, and all the other gadgets out there. Learn the grill, 2 zone cooking, direct grilling, and low and slow BBQ. You can do all that cooking with the standard Weber baskets and by learning the snake method.

Also, since it’s your first charcoal grill I’d buy a used one off Craigslist. You might find you don’t like it and won’t lose a lot of money if that’s the case.  A charcoal chimney is a must. It will save some time getting things going. I like Royal Oak all natural briquettes from Walmart. They don’t take long to get ready to cook and they don’t have any foul smell or a lot of smoke.

Charcoal cooking isn’t for everyone, it’s not as  fast and convenient as a gas grill but it’s definitely worth it.  If you don’t spend a lot on your first setup and you really like it then you are ahead in the game. You’ll always use the Thermapen regardless of how your food is made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 01:28:35 PM »
x2 on the craigslist suggestion.

You may decide against it or you may realize it's amazing and you might want to buy a performer or 26er after getting started on used one. Cleaning a used one is the best way to remember to clean them in the future. Good luck.
ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

Big Dick Nick

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 07:47:58 PM »
Appreciate all of the tips! I normally use a gas grill and while it is nice for quick set up and cooking, I think the weber kettle has a lot of different ways to cook as well as better smoking and durability

shawnc21

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 12:15:13 AM »
In my opinion you don’t need a slow and sear, you don’t need a vortex. You need to make friends with what you’re cooking on. The only way to accomplish that is experience. Get the Weber Kettle and cook with it. They cook absolutely awesome just the way they are built.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 05:12:43 AM »
I have a Vortex in every one of my kettles, nestled under the Gourmet grill. Nice piece(s) of equipment, especially for cooking chicken wings! :-) As has been said, get the feel for the basics in what you have and expand from there.

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 11:14:53 AM »
I definitely agree about looking for a grill on CL, OfferUp or letgo. Why pay more for that new car smell? Let somebody else take the loss because soon as that new grill is fired up and cooked on, the new is gone and it's a used grill.
For about $50 you can get a chimney starter, the Weber "instant read" thermometer, oven thermometer for grate temp, tongs and a spatula from Walmart then the charcoal baskets from Lowes. That'll get you set for most cooks you're gonna do.
Make a drip pan out of some aluminium foil to catch the drippings will help a bunch with cleaning.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 12:49:49 PM »
I’ve bought 2 brand new kettles at full retail and don’t regret either. There’s nothing wrong buying new. I buy used if it’s vintage or I need a spare but if I had no kettle at all, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a new original kettle or original kettle premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app