Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Reflecting on Weber Kettle Year 2018  (Read 3184 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Reflecting on Weber Kettle Year 2018
« on: December 31, 2018, 01:21:26 PM »
Thanks to the amazing camaraderie here at the WKC, my Weber collection looks A LOT different at the end of the year than it did at the beginning of the year. 

Although I dedicated much of the year to thinning out the herd, there were some notable acquisitions in 2018 including a Statesman, a Snap On CGA, an Aristocrat, a Mediterranean, an Orleans, a Ranger, a speckled SJ and a Seville; along with some really fun vintage accessories like the griddle, wok, an elevated half grate, 18” & 22” shish kebab sets, 18” & 22” roti’s, a red Chill and a Fireplace.  Thanks to all the WKC’ers who’ve helped with all my acquisitions and just as much appreciation goes out to those who provided good homes to my former kettles! 

From a cooking perspective, I’ve developed the confidence to try a lot more whole briskets in my Fleetwood, and experimenting more with the hanging technique in the WSM.  I really appreciate all the inspiration from the cooks I see here, so please keep them coming.

How did your 2018 kettle year go?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 02:12:25 PM by Mr.CPHo »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Reflecting on Weber Kettle Year 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 01:31:07 PM »
Beautiful collection. I only acquired one kettle on a cold call. Face book marketplace has killed the finds on the other sites and I’m not on Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

harris92

• WKC Performer
Re: Reflecting on Weber Kettle Year 2018
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 02:18:06 PM »
Picked up a few. They include:

NOS Red Smokey

Yellow Smokey

1950’s Weber Bros Smokey

NOS Coca Cola

22” Fireplace Kettle

18.5” Fireplace Kettle

1959/60 Ranch Kettle

1956 Demo Grill

1956 Red Custom Kettle

TWO White Custom Kettles

1968 Avocado Sequoia

1970s Lime Seville

Meat Grill

Wood Dale Glen Blue

Patent Pending Brave

Copper Wood Dale.

MBH Blue

Thumbscrew Fleetwood

Yachtsman

Two Mediterranean

Others:  Chief, Gourmet, offset handle speckled Smokey,

A bunch of accessories too. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 05:36:29 PM »
This has been fun and interesting year for me. Picked up few interesting kettles and completed some custom kettles the way I wanted. I have been exclusively using my newly customized Platinum, Performer Silver, and Gen2 Performer lately. All my Canadian Master Touch are tweaked and customized the way I want now and ready to be used.

I do own some interesting vintage kettles and love the look and cooking on them, but I noticed I prefer to use more modern ash sweep bucket and with table kettles for convenience and fire safety.  Mind you, one of the main reason I am here and love to see from you all..... great rare scores for cheap that come up time to time. I think it was a great year for that. Looking forward to seeing- unearthing of more treasures in 2019.

Happy New Years to all! Couple of hrs to go before 2019.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 05:51:48 PM »
In 2017, I had a 22 otg, performer, and an A code weathered warrior.

In 2018, I caught weberitis!  I love this hobby and the fellowship of our club. 

EE red mist

Patent pending warrior

Patent pending Caribbean

73-74 red head statesman

P code blue

1977 gourmet

2018 26in

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 10:39:46 PM »
You did real good in 2018 Michael.

mahnamahna

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 07:10:30 AM »
Great posts!  2018 I sold the handful of plain black Weber kettles and a WSM I had and moved half way across the country.  In mid-June I stumbled into these Weber groups and my wife and I started collecting.  Unfortunately 90% of our finds are now in storage, but I estimate we have over 60 of them now.  Hoping to display them and get lots of pictures around the middle of this year.  Here’s a small sampling, I have lots of newer kettles but the older stuff is what we are really after now.  Happy New Years!

mahnamahna

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 07:13:23 AM »
A few more...

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 08:38:21 AM »

I had lots of fun rescuing black kettles.... Mostly 18s, but also some 22s including a sweet WW.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 09:01:44 AM »

Had a very good year chasing kettles.  A few were passed onto fellow members but one acquisition was very special.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 03:18:35 PM »
Been a good year for me kettle wise but I also ventured into the world of "push button" Pitmastering and got a Pellet Grill in February.  The brand(Grilla Grills) that I purchased the company is out of my home state, I actually traveled with my family and met the head engineer and designer.  There is a pic of me Representing WKC at Grilla Grills HQ with Marc Graham.  There is no other pellet grill like the one that I have on the market.  Oh and for those of you curious, yes it can smoke with the best of them.

I scored a really nice Red Thumbscrew that I did not understand how vividly Red it was until I took it to the Chicago meetup in Aug.

The pic of the two limes is a pic of probably the nicest two Limes out there, I think @Rub may have a nicer one but these two together was really cool, the one on the left is mine the one on the left is overseas in Austria.

One of my goals for 2018 was to get a blue, well I got two, a 2004 OTG and an A lid, B bowl MBH

I secured an Ivory and now have a Smoke and Red LE as it's partners.

This one caused a couple of people in the club to pop a few blood vessels but I took an almost new Target Copper and converted it to a Master-touch.

Finally, I scored a really nice Lime(different from above) that also made it's way to another country, though not so far, in Canada.

I usually set for myself a kettle goal as I go into 2019 I think I would like to secure some older grills, ones with wood dale on the lid vent would be preferred.

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 04:46:13 PM »
Had a lot of nice finds this year with the help of members pointing some stuff out.

@schaefd2 pointed me to my red thumbscrew

Got my Yachtsman back thanks to a deal with @Indy82z

Scored another mid 70’s redhead thanks to the help of @LightningBoldtz. This one has the nice blue interior.

Some others have come and others gone in trades and sales. Should have another MBH 26er soon too.

Last but not least I am now the proud owner of a Chief thanks to @bladz.

Been a hell of a year and can’t wait to see what 2019 brings.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

bluewhisper

• WKC Brave
    • Alex Šilbajoris
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 03:43:01 AM »
I just have my 1990 basic black 22 that I rescued in 2016. I've played around with different lengths of legs. Otherwise it has been serving just fine.

I grew up with a 22 so this is like something from my childhood, right here on my patio and ready to go. I love it.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 05:10:56 AM »
Meet my 18" Greenie... Got this in January this year

Yeah, my dumb ass installed the triangle upside down... it's been corrected  ;D

New grates...

EZ code... 1998-ish

And a new Vortex...

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:36:59 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.