Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 6 wings on the 26r  (Read 1120 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
6 wings on the 26r
« on: November 03, 2018, 04:26:31 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 6 wings on the 26r
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 04:38:45 PM »
Now those are some wings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 04:47:04 PM »
Turkey?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 04:49:27 PM »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 04:58:39 PM »
They are stubborn. I’m still cooking them.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 07:01:21 PM »
Man I gota try that!  Looks good!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
6 wings on the 26r
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 03:49:04 AM »
Man I gota try that!  Looks good!

Tried to cook these from frozen. Don’t do that. I put them on with a grill temp around 275 and slowly raised the temp to 400 over two hours. They were only probing 155. I let them go another 30 minutes and they were probing 170. I was starving so I pulled them and ate. They were extremely tough. Meat and skin.

Next time I will start with completely thawed wings and probabaly marinade or brine in something. Not sure in what the best grill temperature should be. I will need to research cooking these before  my next attempt. Good thing I have another package.

So do some research first. These are less forgiving then chicken wings.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 04:02:21 AM »

Nice effort / try, but your analysis and conclusions are spot-on, IMO.

I gave these a go last fall I think it was.  Never again.  Stickin' with chicken.  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 04:47:18 AM »

Nice effort / try, but your analysis and conclusions are spot-on, IMO.

I gave these a go last fall I think it was.  Never again.  Stickin' with chicken.  :D

Not a fan of turkey wings... actually, not much of a fan of turkey. Period. Yup, give me chicken wings fo sho...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 07:13:40 AM »
I've cooked turkey wings several times and they usually are tough, especially the skin, part of it is thick as boot leather. I buy them when they're super cheap on the discounted rotten meat rack, for a song or less. They make good soup, stock and broth too. After T-day is the best time to look for a sale.

My family and I have raised and butchered a lot of poultry in general but the turkey wings were never the focus of attention. Our turkeys are usually cooked whole...well except without the feathers & guts. Unfortunately the farmer we trade with had coyote problem last winter and no chick's for us last spring. So we'll be eating a grocery store bird this T-day

I never have done it but one method to try to make them more pleasant to eat is to dry them on a wire rack in the fridge, then cook them hotter than hell indirect, and finish with a reverse sear. To get the skin toasted dark brown and dehydrated. Cutting that thick skin off where the big heavy flight/fletching feathers attach and cutting the flap between the joint/elbow off might do the trick too.

Next time I find some rotten wings I'll try it and let ya know what happened.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

G-MO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 07:44:55 AM »
Not a big fan of turkey wings but every time I see a 26” kettle it makes me think I should have gone that way!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Just Grill It!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 08:06:41 AM »

I've cooked turkey wings several times and they usually are tough, especially the skin, part of it is thick as boot leather. I buy them when they're super cheap on the discounted rotten meat rack, for a song or less. They make good soup, stock and broth too. After T-day is the best time to look for a sale.

My family and I have raised and butchered a lot of poultry in general but the turkey wings were never the focus of attention. Our turkeys are usually cooked whole...well except without the feathers & guts. Unfortunately the farmer we trade with had coyote problem last winter and no chick's for us last spring. So we'll be eating a grocery store bird this T-day

I never have done it but one method to try to make them more pleasant to eat is to dry them on a wire rack in the fridge, then cook them hotter than hell indirect, and finish with a reverse sear. To get the skin toasted dark brown and dehydrated. Cutting that thick skin off where the big heavy flight/fletching feathers attach and cutting the flap between the joint/elbow off might do the trick too.

Next time I find some rotten wings I'll try it and let ya know what happened.

I’m wondering if deep frying the hell out of them would work [emoji848]

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 08:07:21 AM »

Not a big fan of turkey wings but every time I see a 26” kettle it makes me think I should have gone that way!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

It’s my most used by far. If I could only have one. It would be 26