Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Did a demo of the Kettle Zone Cooking System  (Read 2398 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Did a demo of the Kettle Zone Cooking System
« on: September 16, 2018, 07:36:41 AM »
We did a dual zone cook yesterday on my day off and it came out great but I'm really looking forward to testing it's limits as a kamado type cooker.

Think I'll try a pork butt at work tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUtiHyHZyMI

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Did a demo of the Kettle Zone Cooking System
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 08:02:09 AM »
Cool demo @captjoe06
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 08:07:30 AM »
Cool demo @captjoe06

You've been on that deck Joe Joe. :)
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 08:26:52 AM »
jealous I wasn't there yesterday, but I was there in spirit
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 10:51:15 AM »
We did a dual zone cook yesterday on my day off and it came out great but I'm really looking forward to testing it's limits as a kamado type cooker.

Interesting product. What did you think of it?

What does it do that can’t be done with normal 2 zone cooking?

Why would you need charcoal baskets if you are putting one under the direct and the indirect zone?  Why no coals in the middle?  It seems that an even bed of coals on the grate might work better.

I wonder why it isn’t made to spin?  Seems like that would be useful, in the video, for example, the baskets don’t seem to be centered under the grid. It might be nice to be able to spin it to over the basket.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 11:14:30 AM »
Honestly, I don't get it. With 2-3 bricks on one side and 2 baskets on the other side you would have the same result (actually the bricks are not needed). There is however slight difference, 2-3 bricks is $3, this grate is $99 (if no bricks cost = $0 vs $99). I'm really sorry guys but IMHO it's a no-go

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 11:24:07 AM »
Honestly, I don't get it. With 2-3 bricks on one side and 2 baskets on the other side you would have the same result (actually the bricks are not needed). There is however slight difference, 2-3 bricks is $3, this grate is $99 (if no bricks cost = $0 vs $99). I'm really sorry guys but IMHO it's a no-go

OK say you have a large brisket or pork shoulder. It's designed to put a shallow foil pan under the grill grate and over the deflector plates.

You have an entire top level of indirect.  instead of just one side or the other.

the grates alone are heavy duty thick stainless and some people pay a lot of money just for those.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 11:34:16 AM »

Interesting product. What did you think of it?

What does it do that can’t be done with normal 2 zone cooking?

Why would you need charcoal baskets if you are putting one under the direct and the indirect zone?  Why no coals in the middle?  It seems that an even bed of coals on the grate might work better.

I wonder why it isn’t made to spin?  Seems like that would be useful, in the video, for example, the baskets don’t seem to be centered under the grid. It might be nice to be able to spin it to over the basket.

You don't have to do two zone cooking you can to entirely indirect high or low heat.   Also each side of the heavy stainless grates half and half totally removable to replace coals if you'd like and the bottom level has a round place you can put a bunch of different accessories like a wok.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 11:36:33 AM »

OK say you have a large brisket or pork shoulder. It's designed to put a shallow foil pan under the grill grate and over the deflector plates.

You have an entire top level of indirect.  instead of just one side or the other.

the grates alone are heavy duty thick stainless and some people pay a lot of money just for those.

I'm looking forward to using it like people use their kamados like our brother @order66 did.-

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 11:42:50 AM »

I'm still not convinced. When I put both charcoal baskets in the middle with one brick (higher than the baskets) between them and additionally I put a simple SS round serving tray (let's say 15") on top of the brick, I have the same result for less than $10. I can use the complete surface and I don't need to use any foil[emoji6]

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 12:03:31 PM »

I'm still not convinced. When I put both charcoal baskets in the middle with one brick (higher than the baskets) between them and additionally I put a simple SS round serving tray (let's say 15") on top of the brick, I have the same result for less than $10. I can use the complete surface and I don't need to use any foil

There you go.  Much like the Slow N sear or Vortex, I agree there are other ways to skin a cat.  I'm still excited to see if I can get it work with similar results to a Kamado cook.  I do like the build quality as well with the heavy duty stainless.   Much like the "Is a SnS must have" thread.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 12:20:12 PM »

I'm still not convinced. When I put both charcoal baskets in the middle with one brick (higher than the baskets) between them and additionally I put a simple SS round serving tray (let's say 15") on top of the brick, I have the same result for less than $10. I can use the complete surface and I don't need to use any foil

There you go.  Much like the Slow N sear or Vortex, I agree there are other ways to skin a cat.  I'm still excited to see if I can get it work with similar results to a Kamado cook.  I do like the build quality as well with the heavy duty stainless.   Much like the "Is a SnS must have" thread.
I'm afraid, comparing sns or vortex with this solution is like comparing apples and pears. At some point you might be however right. Both, sns and vortex, have cheaper substitutes but still, sns and vortex brought some new style of cooking. The thing from the vid is unfortunately not revolutionary.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 12:45:27 PM »
I like it. It seems like an extremely versatile multi tasker. I assume you could put the deflector on top of the grate to use as a pizza stone?  Either way, it looks useful for a variety of things.  It’s not something I would purchase because I have versatility through owning several cookers, but for the average person with one 22” grill it might be very useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 12:53:24 PM »
I like it. It seems like an extremely versatile multi tasker. I assume you could put the deflector on top of the grate to use as a pizza stone?  Either way, it looks useful for a variety of things.  It’s not something I would purchase because I have versatility through owning several cookers, but for the average person with one 22” grill it might be very useful.

Good summary [emoji6]

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 12:55:43 PM »
I don’t know if I’m a fan of Kickstarter type projects though. Isn’t aura a company?  That would be like Weber trying to crowd fund a new grill or accessory.