Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Did a demo of the Kettle Zone Cooking System  (Read 2387 times)

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
Re: Did a demo of the Kettle Zone Cooking System
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 12:58:41 PM »
Sorry to say but I'm with you. Most of the time useless accessories is Weber specific.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 01:07:52 PM by qrczak1 »

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 01:14:23 PM »
I’ve backed it. I like raising the grill to the lip of the bowl and further from the coals for flare prone foods.   Maybe the bigger indirect area will be useful.

Would you still run a snake for low n slow?

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 01:18:09 PM »
Actually, when you use a fire brick, you don't need to run a snake...

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 01:24:35 PM »
I'm afraid, comparing sns or vortex with this solution is like comparing apples and pears. At some point you might be however right. Both, sns and vortex, have cheaper substitutes but still, sns and vortex brought some new style of cooking. The thing from the vid is unfortunately not revolutionary.

I think this is as or more different from 2 zone styles, plus adds a larger indirect zone than vortex and sns are from stock baskets. I don’t really think vortex or sns brought new styles of cooking, maybe popularized them, but they don’t do anything revolutionary.

I have both vortex and sns, and use them often, but they don’t do anything that I can’t do with baskets. Maybe slightly better wok burner and searing with the vortex cone and larger capacity than a single stock basket with the sns.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 01:26:09 PM by ClubChapin »

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 01:36:36 PM »
I'm afraid, comparing sns or vortex with this solution is like comparing apples and pears. At some point you might be however right. Both, sns and vortex, have cheaper substitutes but still, sns and vortex brought some new style of cooking. The thing from the vid is unfortunately not revolutionary.

I think this is as or more different from 2 zone styles, plus adds a larger indirect zone than vortex and sns are from stock baskets. I don’t really think vortex or sns brought new styles of cooking, maybe popularized them, but they don’t do anything revolutionary.

I have both vortex and sns, and use them often, but they don’t do anything that I can’t do with baskets. Maybe slightly better wok burner and searing with the vortex cone and larger capacity than a single stock basket with the sns.
Definitely (might be personal), sns and vortex brought a new style of cooking. Before they've been brought to the market, you had 2 zones and people trying to find out how to cook hot and fast or low and slow. Now everybody is saying that it's not an issue to replace sns or vortex... The thing from the vid is however literally 2 zones cooking as Weber invented it in the 50's... So I'm not going to pay a penny for what my kettle can do without any extras...

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 01:54:26 PM »
I bought an older 26" brownie, it's grills sat a bit lower than the current ones.  The guy I bought it from liked it up higher, so he took some of that stuff I think called expanded steel netting (or maybe wire lathe like used with plaster), looped it into a big circle a couple times & coupled it together.  He'd have that sitting on the grill straps & then the grill sitting on top of the ring he made from it.  Pretty simple & cheap solution.  I can take a pic if my description doesn't make it clear enough for anyone.

I’ve backed it. I like raising the grill to the lip of the bowl and further from the coals for flare prone foods.   Maybe the bigger indirect area will be useful.

Would you still run a snake for low n slow?
regards,
Hal

Zinn

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2018, 02:13:28 PM »
Just another gimmick imo.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Did a demo of the Kettle Zone Cooking System
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2018, 03:19:25 PM »

Definitely (might be personal), sns and vortex brought a new style of cooking. Before they've been brought to the market, you had 2 zones and people trying to find out how to cook hot and fast or low and slow. Now everybody is saying that it's not an issue to replace sns or vortex... The thing from the vid is however literally 2 zones cooking as Weber invented it in the 50's... So I'm not going to pay a penny for what my kettle can do without any extras...

If you put the other half kettle deflector stone on it isn’t two zone cooking any more, it covers the whole top with a small gap around the edge of the bowl for smoke and heat to come up.  It’s a huge deflectorover which you can cook similar to what you can do on a Kamado.  That, I haven’t seen a product like it for a Weber kettle.  I respectfully disagree that the SnS brought a more revolutionary way to cook than this product for a kettle.  The SnS is just a glorified large charcoal basket and people have been doing similar things with fire bricks for years. I’m not saying that if someone likes the build quality or sleekness of the SNS they shouldn’t buy it, I just don’t think it does anything revolutionary.  With a vortex, it’s debatable if the same effect is achieved with a couple of charcoal baskets put together.    Nothing against the vortex, but not exactly revolutionary in my book either.  I get being frugal and there’s something definitely to that, for some people, the cost of one of these accessories is less than the cost of a meal and drinks out with their wife.  If you look at it that way for something that you get to enjoy for years, or excitement for a while and then decide if it’s for you, it may not be such a big deal.    I’m looking forward like I said to placing both of the deflector plates in and seeing how it goes for a low and slow long cook.  I also really like the grates.  They are heavy and thick stainless.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:22:35 PM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 04:02:58 PM »
I hope it funds.  I’d like to check it out. Beyond the indirect zone, there are times I might use just the elevated grate.

The Kickstarter price is less than any other SS grate that I am aware of. Seems like a good deal (there is one bundles with a SS charcoal grate.)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 06:59:39 PM »
That looks pretty cool Joey. The grates alone are a nice upgrade and I like the grates being higher.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Bodhi

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 10:21:56 PM »
It's awesome, I hate the website though. How can I buy one?

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 10:39:23 PM »
my "error"
sorry
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:03:58 PM by Paul S »
RetireCheapJC says: There's always an option.

order66

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2018, 03:16:12 PM »
Good Vid Joey!
 I see my chili made a cameo ; )
Aura gear is well made. They make a set up like this for the BGE/KJ scene, good to see the kettle gettin some love. Was a bit surprised by the Kickstarter campaign...
-JDP
| 22.5 Master Touch |22.5 OTG |Pit Barrel Cooker| U-Lime SJS | Kettle Pizza| Akorn Jr. | Big Green Egg | Jumbo Joe | Blackstone Griddle | Pit Boss Classic |

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2018, 05:45:45 PM »

Was a bit surprised by the Kickstarter campaign...

Glad I’m not the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 05:22:18 AM »

Was a bit surprised by the Kickstarter campaign...

Glad I’m not the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I agree, I got stung on Kickstarter earlier this year and am still leery.  I'd buy it if it were for sale on a "regular" site.