Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Carry bag for Smokey Joe?  (Read 3035 times)

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Re: Carry bag for Smokey Joe?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 06:38:25 AM »
It should be noted the bag has been ordered...

You'll love it. I have the same bag for my SJ. Word to the wise... Clean the SJ prior to installing in the bag. Keeps the bag nice and from getting yucked out.

That's my plan. Right now it's not greasy, just lots of dust from sitting outside, and some ash in the bowl that was left behind the last cleanup.

My plan here, is to grab one of the mini charcoal starters, use a thick but smaller plastic trash bag (I have some small industrial waste bags) to stow the cooking grate on the bottom, set the grill on that, and stow the chimney in the kettle in the bag. That will all stow neatly in one of the cabinets in the camper (once it is completed, order is being put in as soon as my wife agrees to the options list). The same cabinet shelf should be big enough to hold the grill, the Pampered Chef grilling set, and a lighter.

I figure a contractor trash bag to keep moisture out of the charcoal in camp would suffice. Shouldn't go through more than one bag of charcoal anyway...

Progress is being made, Will likely test the charcoal rig out tent camping shortly before the truck or camper are ready to roll...  Galveston Island State Park is likely the destination....
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 06:43:45 AM »
You could always cancel the bag order & just use a bungee cord to keep the lid on & put it inside a garbage bag to & from the campgrounds instead of cleaning the SJ before & after in order to keep the bag clean that you are using to keep the camper clean.

Or, you just could put it in the garbage bag to keep your SJ bag clean, which you are buying to keep the camper clean.

Or, you could clean the SJ before & after, use a bungee cord to keep the lid on, & skip the garbage bag since you cleaned the grill already.

Just trying to prevent a bag full of ash, that will collect on the outside of the SJ, that's all. Smart ass.  8)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 06:48:15 AM »
You could always cancel the bag order & just use a bungee cord to keep the lid on & put it inside a garbage bag to & from the campgrounds instead of cleaning the SJ before & after in order to keep the bag clean that you are using to keep the camper clean.

Or, you just could put it in the garbage bag to keep your SJ bag clean, which you are buying to keep the camper clean.

Or, you could clean the SJ before & after, use a bungee cord to keep the lid on, & skip the garbage bag since you cleaned the grill already.

You know, I read that hearing Jackie Gleasons voice.... But I get the point... It's more than cleanliness though. The grill has hard, somewhat damaging surfaces if they get introduced to the vinyl covered engineered wood surfaces in the camper.

FWIW, we are opting for a Eureka SlideInn 8ft box camper (our truck is a 6.5ft bed, which means 18" of the camper will rest on the tailgate). They don't show on their website, but they offer a 48" cabover option, with a pull out for a queen bed.  We are working on ordering that. So basicaly an 8' camper with 48" cabover sleeper, A/C, and roof rack. Working with the MFG to see if they can option in hot / cold water system. The options list doesn't show it for this model, our rep is talking to Engineering to see if they can do it... They don't offer any sort of external stowage cubbies. And due to the camper overhanging the tailgate, my old hitch haul isn't really an option...

I have used a Weber Smokey Joe carried in a trash bag in a camper before, LONG time ago, I had a 1964 VW Westfalia camper. The Weber was stowed in a trash bag, and it dented the crap out of the interior wood in travel over rough terrain. I am going with a truck camper instead of a much larger travel trailer because i want to camp where 4x4 is a requirement... (Padre Island National Seashore, Guadalupe Mountains etc...).

The Smokey Joe bag per the mfg description has 5mm foam padding, which is about the same as my cheap gig bags for my basses, and honestly, they give protection to the wood on my musical instruments, it should protect the camper interior...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 06:49:47 AM »

Just trying to prevent a bag full of ash, that will collect on the outside of the SJ, that's all. Smart ass.  8)

ROTFLOL!

I wouldn't bag it up until cool, and I empty my kettles of all ash as soon as possible when cool. Not wash it down or anything, but dumped and wiped out with a bleach wipe that I always have on hand... Get to that "clean enough" stage...

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 07:30:04 AM »
Do you know or have any drummer friends playing in bands? If yes, ask if he/she has a spare 16" x 16" tom tom drum cover no longer in use, or no longer needed. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Humes-Berg-16x16-Galaxy-Tom-Drum-Bag-GL429/23011377259?iid=163152251283&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131227121020%26meid%3D7d08f77a3cdb47acb504e30569ebf7ee%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D302712606345%26itm%3D163152251283&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

You might want to reposition the handle to the top, if you know anyone that can sew.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 07:42:23 AM »
What?

It's not like I pointed out that you'll also want to put the purchased bag inside a garbage bag to keep it from getting messed up inside the camper.  (Yeah, I'm just joking & taking it to absurdity).

Wife got a brand new SUV with carpeting in the back "trunk" sort of area.  Paid extra to get some sort of factory installed heavy plastic protector (like one of those plastic shoe trays for near a door) to protect the carpeting.  After we got home, she wanted something to cover the plastic protector thing, so I wound up bringing out a roll of clear heavy duty plastic sheeting, cutting it & wrapping it around the plastic protector.  In other words, it is carpeted so it will "look nice".  But, you don't see the carpeting because of the basically heavy plastic tray that is covering up the carpeting to protect the carpeting so it will look nice.  The reason for the stupid fancy (was it over $200 tray?), is so you have something that looks fairly nice protecting the carpeting that you will never see.  But, my wife decided we should cover even that with clear plastic, so it stays looking nice (even though it doesn't look so nice with the clear plastic over it).  True story.  If was about a grill, I'd place in in the WKC confessions thread. 

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:46:22 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 07:47:25 AM »
Do you know or have any drummer friends playing in bands? If yes, ask if he/she has a spare 16" x 16" tom tom drum cover no longer in use, or no longer needed. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Humes-Berg-16x16-Galaxy-Tom-Drum-Bag-GL429/23011377259?iid=163152251283&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131227121020%26meid%3D7d08f77a3cdb47acb504e30569ebf7ee%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D302712606345%26itm%3D163152251283&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

You might want to reposition the handle to the top, if you know anyone that can sew.

LOL... My drummer would kill me!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 07:55:07 AM »
@dbhost Kind of cracked me up that you envisioned it being said in Jackie Gleason's voice.  Now I'm going to be thinking of him saying various things all day.

No need to explain, I was just poking a bit of fun.  Sometimes I go the cheap route, sometimes I find something else that isn't too much that will work better, & sometimes I just cough up the cash for that "special" accessory (whatever it is). 
regards,
Hal

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 08:02:56 AM »
No worries. And honestly, $19.00 isn't too much for a padded zippered bag that will keep the camper clean, and grill bang up free...

And mind you, I know all about the low $$ route. The camper we are going for is one of the least expensive on the market, although I was aiming more for light weight, but that is because I don't want to buy a newer / heavier duty truck...

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 05:58:40 PM »
The bag came in and I am less than impressed. The description on the site says it is a padded bag, it's not. The material doesn't strike me as being all that strong etc... I will go ahead and use it, but I sure don't recommend it. Weber really should be ashamed to put their name and logo on this thing...

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 06:09:57 PM »

The bag came in and I am less than impressed. The description on the site says it is a padded bag, it's not. The material doesn't strike me as being all that strong etc... I will go ahead and use it, but I sure don't recommend it. Weber really should be ashamed to put their name and logo on this thing...

Interesting you should say that.  I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.  I love the things.  Thanks to some friends in the Chi town area who can find them on clearance, I have 1 for each of my 6 Smokey Joes in my collection with plans of getting three more for more SJs coming in.  They provide great protection, you can strap the lid on tight and carry it around with no worries of everything falling apart.  I think Weber should be quite proud to have their name and logo on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 06:38:10 PM »

Interesting you should say that.  I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.  I love the things.  Thanks to some friends in the Chi town area who can find them on clearance, I have 1 for each of my 6 Smokey Joes in my collection with plans of getting three more for more SJs coming in.  They provide great protection, you can strap the lid on tight and carry it around with no worries of everything falling apart.  I think Weber should be quite proud to have their name and logo on them.

How long have you had your bags? The reason I ask is my initial impression of the fabric isn't stellar. There is zero padding and the item description I had seen said it was padded. I was kind of relying on that as well. HOWEVER. Given that newspaper is what I use to start the chimney, and there appears to be ample room to stuff newspaper in the bag around the Smokey Joe, I will give that a pass. I was planning on having effectively a Sunday paper in the thing every time I went out anyway, and I never have to use more than 3 sheets.... So padding isn't really a problem...But like I said, durability is a concern...

So... please help me not have buyers remorse...

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 08:23:43 PM »
...And, I can almost envision hearing Jackie Gleason's voice, lecturing you about buyers remorse!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 06:22:30 AM »
I'd return it if it was advertised as being padded & it was not.

How long have you had your bags? The reason I ask is my initial impression of the fabric isn't stellar. There is zero padding and the item description I had seen said it was padded. I was kind of relying on that as well. HOWEVER. Given that newspaper is what I use to start the chimney, and there appears to be ample room to stuff newspaper in the bag around the Smokey Joe, I will give that a pass. I was planning on having effectively a Sunday paper in the thing every time I went out anyway, and I never have to use more than 3 sheets.... So padding isn't really a problem...But like I said, durability is a concern...

So... please help me not have buyers remorse...
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 06:35:31 AM »
It has a "padded shoulder pad", so I'd take a look at the description again to figure out if they stated it incorrectly wherever you bought it.  If it is their fault description, they should take it back.
regards,
Hal