Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotisserie Coal Setup  (Read 1361 times)

jmahc

• Smokey Joe
Rotisserie Coal Setup
« on: September 07, 2018, 07:34:05 AM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I'm just wondering how I should cook a chicken on the Jumbo Joe with the roti this weekend. I have a vortex and the 18" charcoal basket from Adrenaline BBQ, so I suppose I could go "direct" using the vortex, or "indirect" using the baskets. Would direct be too much? Approximately what temperature should I try to stay near? 400 degrees for a 60-90 minute cook?

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
Re: Rotisserie Coal Setup
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 07:44:49 AM »
Grease tray under bird, Sns or char tray on one side full of charcoal. Takes about an hour. No need for Vortex too hot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grill on! and Go CUBBIES!!!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 07:53:51 AM »
I would like to do on with the bird right over the coals so the drippins add the smoke
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 07:59:09 AM »
I would like to do on with the bird right over the coals so the drippins add the smoke
The aroma with it over direct is friggin awesome, and the smoke billowing out makes for awesome pics, and since I can never remember the drip pan much easier clean up
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jmahc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 08:05:30 AM »
Thanks, all! Sounds like either way would work. I'll flip a coin and report back later this weekend.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Rotisserie Coal Setup
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 08:46:55 AM »
I do a chicken on my JJ indirect and using the S’nS charcoal basket it makes for easy clean up of the kettle and super skin krispyness factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jmahc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 09:32:15 AM »
Looks good! Any smoke wood in there?

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 09:42:24 AM »
I don’t think I had smoking wood in that run but it works great with your favorite wood.
I think the JJ is the perfect rotisserie cooker because the coals are closer to the food and you can get that perfect golden color on anything you want. Bonus is the amount of coals you need are way less than a 22” .

jmahc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 09:45:20 AM »
Did you light a full chimney?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »

The trick I use is to set my charcoal baskets more to one side of the kettle and put the bird on with the legs facing the charcoal. This moves the breast meat further from the coals.  The dark meat (legs and thighs) require a higher temp (175-190 degrees) to be done and can tolerate being closer to the heat.  The bird should be pulled when the breast meat reaches 157 degrees.  These are the recommended temps from the Thermapen website. I start checking the temp at 1 hour in.  The bird is usually done at 1 hour 10 to 15 minutes.  I start with lighting 50 briquettes in a chimney and dump half in each basket.  I throw a couple of small pieces of apple wood on the coals in the beginning too.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 10:21:22 AM »
My coal setup varies depending on what I'm  cooking on the rotisserie.

Full direct for leaner meats.

Partially direct for poultry etc.

Indirect for my kids since they prefer a milder, less smoky flavor.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 12:35:20 PM »

Did you light a full chimney?
In my JJ I start a SMALL Weber chimney and I have 6-8 unlit coals in the empty charcoal basket when I dump it. I never had the idea to see how much it was in a standard chimney.

jmahc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 01:24:31 PM »
Okay, thanks all! I have both a standard and a small chimney, so I'll use the small. I kinda wish I had have purchased the cheaper set of two charcoal baskets to mimic that setup you've got up there. Looks, and seems, like a really good idea to direct the dark meat closer to the coals.

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 10:21:18 PM »
I use a simple setup with the Weber Charcoal pans and a drip pan for my rotisserie chicken.

Here it is ready to cook.

Doing it's thing.

Mopped using the Roadside Chicken Sauce.

Just off the cooker and cooling down.

All cut up for serving.

jmahc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 12:02:00 PM »
I have some trussing that I was going to use for the cook. Think it would be needed?