Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Boneless Chicken Thighs and Rub Test  (Read 1047 times)

IrondeQuer

• Smokey Joe
Boneless Chicken Thighs and Rub Test
« on: May 31, 2013, 07:21:19 PM »
The wife is out of town so my girls and grandson came over for some grilling and taste testing. The local grocery store had boneless, skinless chicken thighs on sale so I bought a bulk pack and used three different rubs for taste testing.

To the left is Todd's Dirt, the middle is Guy Fieri's rub for the Big Bud's Beer Can Chicken recipe, and on the right is America's Test Kitchen rub from a recent video, also for beer can chicken.

Fired 'em up on the Performer, did an initial sear, then let 'em slow cook to finish up.

Plated 'em up and had at 'em

Overall, the ATK rub was the favorite with Guy Fieri's a close second. Dead last and not really liked at all was Todd's Dirt, which was too bad. I had high hopes for that one.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 03:42:29 AM by IrondeQuer »

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Boneless Chicken Thighs and Rub Test
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:39:03 PM »
Good looking thighs! One of my favorite cuts of meat. I'll Have to look up the rubs and give them a try next time.
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

IrondeQuer

• Smokey Joe
Re: Boneless Chicken Thighs and Rub Test
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 04:01:39 AM »
Thanks!

This is the Fieri rub. It's very peppery, perhaps too much so. To be fair though, he was using it in a recipe that calls for hanging bacon out of the top of a whole bird, not as a standalone on parts.

1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper

And this is the ATK rub which they used straight-up on a kettle. It was pretty well balanced but I might add a little sugar next time around.

1/2 cup sweet paprika
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons ground celery seed
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

The Dirt you'll have to buy. It's probably not too bad if you like an herby rub heavy on oregano.

Maybe this site needs a "Rubs and Sauces" category under the Grilling Recipes section?

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Boneless Chicken Thighs and Rub Test
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 04:03:56 PM »
Good looking chicken, thanks for the review on the rubs.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......