Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Erik from New Hampshire!  (Read 1033 times)

erik324

• Happy Cooker
Erik from New Hampshire!
« on: August 28, 2018, 01:48:15 PM »
Hi everyone I am Erik. I am from New Hampshire and am just learning to cook.

I got an old Weber Performer gen 1 with gas start from my grandfather but it's in pretty bad shape. It's literally as old as I am (circa 2003) and stayed outside with no cover.

The stainless steel table and supports are basically in mint condition but the internal grates, charcoal ignition burner, and the bottom vent/ash scraper are rusted to heck and back.  I looked into getting replacements for those parts but they're CRAZY expensive - to replace the grates, the burner, and the ash scraper would cost more than to buy a new kettle. The actual dome and kettle are in usable condition, a few dings & some rust but not horrible.

So I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to buy a new 22" kettle and get it to fit into the Performer stand?
1b. If not, would it be worth buying a new kettle anyways just for the internal components and ash scraper? Would it be possible to sell the dome/base from the new one?

2. If that is possible, would it make sense to drill a hole in it for the gas start?
2b. Does having a hole in the grill for the gas starter affect airflow?

3. Does weber or a third party sell stainless steel grates? I checked Amazon but couldn't find any (and don't have a credit card anyways).

Thanks everyone. My parents advised I can only keep this if I get it fixed up promptly and take care of it in the future. I've never really cooked before, even indoors, and I'm really looking forward to using this!

PS your site is really cool. The guides are awesome. I'm going to home depot tomorrow and getting a scraper to clean out the inside of the grill

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Erik from New Hampshire!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 02:02:11 PM »
Welcome to the Wkc from the Chicago suburbs Erik.
Post up a few pictures of your kettle. It will help us guide you through the restoration process.
Weber, Killa grilla and Adrenaline bbq make stainless steel cooking grates. They range in price from about $60 -$80.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

603kettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 02:19:15 PM »
Welcome from NH. Great group of people here on WKC. Lots of great info.

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 02:33:34 PM »
Welcome from Virginia Beach, VA.

Don_

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 03:26:48 PM »
Welcome from MA!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 03:10:55 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga. lots of great info and folks here to help you out and also keep you from breaking the bank, once you master that grill your parents will be buying you a second one because your food tastes so good. @eric324 I may have some spare parts to help you that girl back in operation
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 04:18:09 AM »
Welcome @erik324 !!!

Already mentioned that there are A LOT of Fellas here with your style Grill.  I myself have 2 of the Gen 1 and 1 of the Gen 2 Performers.   

Read over the Restoration links and you will be amazed at how clean you will get your Kettle!!. 

Its easy and cheap to clean.  *I* use Greased Lighting degreaser from Wal-Mart 2 bucks.  A razorscrapper and a 1o pack of Razor scraper blades 4 bucks and a sleeve of 0000 Steel Wool  3 bucks.

As far as the ash sweeps,  You can get those from any ACE or Truvalue hardware store.  Not too spendy and easy to replace.

Let us know how you are progressing and I am sure that @JEBIV will be a good parts source. 

Good luck my friend.  And remember this... Do it for  the love of the Kettle!! 

RRR

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

erik324

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 03:26:22 PM »
Hey @jeffrackmo , I ended up buying a $5 brass brush that fits on the end of a power drill and blasting the hell out of the inside of the kettle with that. I also checked my kettle out and it's a vintage '91!

It also blew all the rust and crud off the grates in about 10 minutes and I managed to bend the ash sweeps into a working position.

But now I'm stumped and could use some advice: The regulator or hose assembly seems... hosed. I tried it out a few times and got some blowback, so I took it out, cleaned the nozzle on the end of the hose, plugged it back in and now I get nothing.

I've been googling and found not a lot. Do you know of anyone on here who has successfully replaced the entire hose, nozzle, and regulator unit? I called weber and they offered me a conversion kit for a 20# propane tank instead but I don't want that.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 07:41:17 AM »
@erik324

Check your messages.  I may have what you need.  Sent you a PM

J
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...