Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: EOYIZW bristle free Grill Brush  (Read 1706 times)

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
EOYIZW bristle free Grill Brush
« on: August 15, 2018, 06:43:08 AM »
So with all the talk, not just here, but even in our local news about grill brushes losing bristles and causing fairly serious injury to people just trying to enjoy Barbecue, I have been trying several options.

#1. A nylon bristle / heavy scotch brite pad brush. Scotch brite pad of course, with a fairly decent scraper. I am not using the bristle side of the head, but I am finding that the scotch brite side of the head is wearing frighteningly fast. The scraper is pretty good, and leaves the grate mostly usable. The pad does not go down the sides of the grate enough to make me comfortable that it is getting clean...

#2. Weber scrubbing pad and handle. Don't bother with this one. Just ineffective.

#3. EOYIZW bristle free Grill Brush from Amazon. Now I haven't done anything with this one yet past removing it from the packaging and checking it out. I will be updating this after I use the brush. But here are my initial impressions. The brush appears to be fairly well made. There are no bristles to break off and end up in your food. The construction appears to be first rate, with top quality materials. The stainless rings that take the place of bristles I understand take some getting used to, we will see. The ring / loop thing does appear to be quite sturdy, I would be shocked if it could be broken in anything resembling normal use. The handle is comfortable, and appears fairly rugged. There is a nice metal hoop end on the brush itself for hanging, and a storage bag to keep the dirty brush from contaminating other items in your grilling kit.  The scraper is likewise, sturdily built, and well attached.

I am planning a brisket cook this weekend as the weather looks good, and I finally found a decent enough looking brisket at the store (Need to trim it, but no biggie). That usually makes for a great opportunity to test out a grill brush!
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: EOYIZW bristle free Grill Brush
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 07:01:08 AM »
I've often just used one of my spatulas & then also get different areas of the grate over the hot coals to burn anything off.
I've also used crumpled aluminum foil, which I think works rather good (but not while it is over hot coals of course).
I used a restaurant type wood stirring paddle with a really long handle, burned my own grooves in the paddle end when the coals were nice & hot under the grate to basically make my own wooden scraper & that seems to work pretty good.

The crumpled aluminum foil not only does a good job, but you get to throw all the nastiness away instead of trying to clean it up.
regards,
Hal

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 11:48:32 AM »
Well, in all honesty, I get most of it done with the scraper... We will see how this works out.  I suspect this will be a get the grate hot, take a couple of swipes at it and rinse off the scrubber prior to putting it away sort of deal...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 11:59:49 AM »
It will be interesting to see how it works for you.  I saw something like what you described at Walmart, or maybe target, earlier in the year & was curious. 
regards,
Hal

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 12:24:29 PM »
Here's my .02 on the matter :)

95% of the bristle brush issues you read about are due to one of two things...

1) Either they are using a super cheap dollar-store brush (worth less than the receipt that came with it) OR
2) They have used their brush WAY past its usable life.

A QUALITY brush made by a major manufacturer like Weber, Broil King, Napoleon etc actually put safety testing into their brushes. With that being said even a good quality brush should be thrown out after a season of use (twice a season if you grill regularly!). Older block style brushes have a large block of wood or plastic that the bristles are glued into... over time the adhesive could fail and will drop a whole pack of bristles on you in one shot. These have mostly been replaced with the new style brushes that use a heavy wire to twist/fasten the bristles into the brush. Some manufacturers (like weber) still sell the older style wooden handled brush but have added a mechanical staple along with the adhesive to further protect against bristle loss.

The EOYIZW coil style brush that you ordered will work OK on a straight SS rod style grate but still will not be as effective as a bristle brush.

They have since come up with another variation of the coil style that uses a double coil or double helix design. This way when you apply pressure, the first layer of coils spread apart and swipe down each side of the grate bar, then a smaller second coil hidden inside will clean the top of the bar. IMO these are the next best choice after a bristle brush in terms of all out cleaning power.

Happy Grilling
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 12:27:06 PM »
I would say that info was worth more than .02 well done @SixZeroFour
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 12:37:40 PM »
All I do is a scrape with a spatula. Been doing it that way for 10 years. I have 2 of those wooden scrapers that people gave me. Never used them.  The truth is no grill brushes or scrapers are needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 12:41:03 PM »
And I’ve been saying that At least ten years.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
EOYIZW bristle free Grill Brush
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 12:56:11 PM »
Using any grill brushes is like wiping with used toilet paper. [emoji12]
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:02:37 PM by HoosierKettle »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 05:10:48 PM »
I really liked the comment you removed about using a grill brush.  Pretty darn funny.  Personally, I always figured you scrape the major gunk off & let the fire do the rest, plus the sterilization work. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 05:15:40 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 05:13:12 PM »
I use SS scrubbers and/or a wad of balled aluminum foil when the grates have cooled enough to handle but still warm.

Jon Tofte

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 05:30:05 PM »
I have also tried the solid wood spatula-looking thing. It works wonderfully on GrillGrates and I think would be good for stainless rods. Not as effective on cast iron from my limited use.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
Custom Platinum One Touc, Red Patent Pending "Aristocrat" 26, Red 22 MBH, Black '00 Flat-top 26, Black 22 MBH, and '74 Black "49'er" 18. And too many projects!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 07:03:50 PM »

I really liked the comment you removed about using a grill brush.  Pretty darn funny.  Personally, I always figured you scrape the major gunk off & let the fire do the rest, plus the sterilization work.

I put the comment back at the risk of sounding to crude lol

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 08:53:29 AM »

I have one of these.
It was a gift from my wonderful parents.  Works okay ....

https://brushtechbrushes.com/bbq-brushes/16-safety-double-helix-bristle-free-flat-grill-bbq-brush.html

I still prefer to use a good quality wire brush.  Never had any issues with it.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 09:01:19 AM »
I thought it was fairly spot on as it points really out that, unless you are going to take it off & wash it, the real goal is to just knock stuff off & let the heat do it's work sterilizing. 

If I have stuff gunked on mostly in the center, I just put the grate on top of the charcoal chimney & it's usually all gone by the time I'm reading to dump the coals.  Anything left is usually taken care of when I put the grate over the dumped coals.

I put the comment back at the risk of sounding to crude lol

regards,
Hal