Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Off-season pricing?  (Read 1884 times)

Neo Fender

• Happy Cooker
Off-season pricing?
« on: August 14, 2018, 04:03:57 AM »
Is there such a thing in the Weber World or are retailers tied to Weber’s pricing year round?  I’ve been eyeballing a new Performer and like most others, would appreciate a sale.

Thanks.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Off-season pricing?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 05:12:23 AM »
Is there such a thing in the Weber World or are retailers tied to Weber’s pricing year round?  I’ve been eyeballing a new Performer and like most others, would appreciate a sale.

Thanks.

I highly highly suggest looking on Craigslist in your area.  After you cook on yours a dozen times chances are you could find one for half or a third of the price as new and with 45 minutes of elbow grease you could get it looking nearly new.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 05:24:28 AM »

Thanks.

I highly highly suggest looking on Craigslist in your area.  After you cook on yours a dozen times chances are you could find one for half or a third of the price as new and with 45 minutes of elbow grease you could get it looking nearly new.

+1

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 05:28:06 AM »
Where are you located? Maybe a local member could help out as well.

Neo Fender

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 05:36:06 AM »
I'm in the St. Louis area.

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 06:12:41 AM »
If budget is a major concern, buy a lightly used, well cared for unit from your local Craigslist... Of course if you have to have new, which is fine too, just keep watching the sale flyers right before and after Labor Day.
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 06:46:46 AM »
It's kind of hit and miss, but yes, some retailers do close out pricing now and then.  I've seen Performers discounted at home depot.

Fwiw, picking up a used one off CL, offer up, or FB marketplace is also a good way to go.    I picked up my Gen2 off CL for $40

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 07:13:53 AM »
A nice looking red Gen1 SSP that appears to have been well taken care of.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2150575188522595/

Neo Fender

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 08:44:09 AM »
A nice looking red Gen1 SSP that appears to have been well taken care of.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2150575188522595/

That's nearby.  Thanks for the nudge.

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 08:58:48 AM »
Start checking out Home depot very end of September beginning of October. At least by me they have all their left over grills outside and marked down heavily.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 09:48:24 AM »
+1

This past weekend the Lowes
nearby had a Genny II S-310
used once for an in store cooking demo
marked down from $799 to $499.
Sold "as is" but if you registered it
with Weber it would be warrantied.

This time of year I start making the
rounds of the 3 Home Depots
and 3 Lowes within an easy driving
distance from us.

Last year HD had a Gen 3 or 4
Performer "missing parts" for
$150.

Both grates were absent.
But what a deal for someone!

Ya never know what you'll find.
It's all a matter of timing. ;D

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »
+1 on the craigslist / facebook marketplace.  I'm irritating the heck out of my wife picking up grills lately.  In the Chicago area at least... there are about 7 various gen performers available RIGHT NOW, from $100 to 300+.  One of them is a gorgeous Crate and Barrel blue that appears to have no flaws.  Guy wants $325... but after it doesn't sell for a month (and it won't at that price), he'll probably take $250.

Hopefully, St. Louis... also a pretty big place, has a fair amount listed.  Start monitoring, and don't feel compelled to jump on the first good looking one.  I just got (my third performer) a current generation crimson, for $100... with a  chimney, charcoal baskets, a full bag of lump, a full bucket of lump, and a cover.  It has an unsightly bit of lid rash on one side... from the lid being dropped.  :-(     Also has a few minor scratches on the table, but for $100 with the accessories, it was a steal, and is still a grate grill to grill on.  And it is pre-dinged, so I can cook on it without worry!  What a concept.   Those deals are out there... particularly when people just want it "out of the garage."

Note:  If you care about height at all... get a newer one... Gen 2 or newer, after the SSPs.  The SSPs are approx 29 5/8" high.  The Gen 2+ are 33"ish.  That 3.5 inches matters a lot to some people.  I'm 6'7", and LOVE the height on the new ones, after years of cooking on an OTP.  (28.25" high.)   TThey raised them for a reason.

That said... that red SSP is gorgeous, and the price is more than fair.  That would be a keeper you'd be proud of if you become a kettlehead!  And even if not, it is a beautiful grill.  (Also... if you don't like the height, there are some threads on doing a "lift kit" if you're reasonably handy.  Some 4" pieces of black 1" tubing... some wood... and it can be done by simply extending the legs.  Just a little effort required.  There is a manufacturer online.... EZTUBE... where you could actually order them cut and drilled exactly how you want, AND they have plastic connectors that might work.  I've been eyeing it... but haven't tried yet.  Probably $30 or less for buying everything you'd need for a 4" lift.)  Or you might not care about the height at all... and that one's a grate find!  Red is a favorite of many.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:18:03 AM by baglorious »

jmahc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 12:11:34 PM »
I see I'm not the only one stalking Craigslist in Chicago... Save some of the good ones for me!

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 02:30:57 PM »
I see I'm not the only one stalking Craigslist in Chicago... Save some of the good ones for me!

Lol... my acquisition period is over.  Now time to start de-acquiring (?) some of them before my wife de-acquires me.  (I know it isn't a word... but you get what I mean.)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 05:10:10 PM by baglorious »

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 03:52:48 AM »
Hey @Neo Fender

Welcome to the WKC!!  There are ALOT of STL members in the club.  That performer you see is amazing.  I have seen it in person. :O

Where in STL do you call home?  (Where did you go to High School).. hah  LOL

J
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...