Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking to buy another 22... Help me ID this thing....  (Read 1538 times)

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Looking to buy another 22... Help me ID this thing....
« on: August 01, 2018, 11:40:32 AM »
Okay not sure how to ID older Webers. I found a Weber 22 kettle with the plastic handles a few accessories like a tool hanger, and spice rack, but with a fixed grate instead of hinged, for a decent enough price. But.... here we are with the but... It has a weird to me lower kettle portion. Instead of the one touch sweeper system, it has 3 daisy wheel vents in the kettle instead of either a single, or a one touch sweeper...

So my question is, how do I use this thing VS. the single daisy wheel on my Jumbo Joe Premium? The daisy wheels look smaller, like the ones on my Smokey Joe, but 3 of them obviously... I am guessing just fiddle around with it until I get it right...

The handles are also quite different, the handle hoops are welded on to the kettle, and lid, and there are no hand guards on the lid...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 11:42:54 AM by dbhost »
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

Cellar2ful

Re: Looking to buy another 22... Help me ID this thing....
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 12:20:19 PM »

It looks like a Bar-B-Kettle.  They were manufactured from 1992-1999 when they were discontinued.  Here is a link that gives the history on them.  Look about half way through the article under "Master Touch (Gen 1).

http://weberkettleclub.com/history/the-weber-master-touch-history/

The lid should have a letter stamped on it.  Once you find that letter, you can date the kettle with the WKC age guide.

http://weberkettleclub.com/determine-age-of-old-grill/

The daisy wheel kettles are great for smoking at lower temps.  The ashes take a little more work to remove than a kettle with the ash sweeps.  You can cut an old Clorox jug and use it like a shovel to remove the ashes.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:23:20 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 01:33:30 PM »
If I'm not mistaken the triangle should be a giveaway on the economy kettles.   I believe its the outer portion of the triangle with no "inner spokes". 

You mention the handles are welded to the bowl?  Maybe its an older kettle and someone replaced missing handles?
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 02:18:51 PM »
The single bowl handle and daisy vents points to economy Bar-B kettle as @cellar2ful suggests.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 06:13:11 AM »
Okay now the big question. I don't have a working truck at present. (Ford 5.4L 3v. Look it up and you'll know why... grrrrr.), anyway, I need to get this thing into the trunk of a Chevy Malibu and have the trunk lid closed....

How would I go about removing the legs for transport?
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 06:22:51 AM »
Okay now the big question. I don't have a working truck at present. (Ford 5.4L 3v. Look it up and you'll know why... grrrrr.), anyway, I need to get this thing into the trunk of a Chevy Malibu and have the trunk lid closed....

How would I go about removing the legs for transport?

Twist and pull.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 07:34:40 AM »
Okay. I think we are good to go. Working late tonight, already got with the guy, going to get it Saturday. Beats hanging out at the house anyway.

The worst part of the deal, the guy selling it is getting out of charcoal, entirely. So it comes complete with a partial bag of charcoal, and a couple bottles of lighter fluid, which I don't use. I use a charcoal chimney....

How can I get rid of lighter fluid?

I wouldn't be committing some cardinal sin by poking a hole in the lid and mounting a thermometer to it would I? I'm finding in lid thermometers are VERY useful for me in keeping track of my cooking temps...

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 11:53:19 AM »

The worst part of the deal, the guy selling it is getting out of charcoal, entirely. So it comes complete with a partial bag of charcoal, and a couple bottles of lighter fluid, which I don't use. I use a charcoal chimney....

How can I get rid of lighter fluid?

Good question. I have a few bags of "match-light" (lighter fluid soaked) charcoal and a few bottles of lighter fluid I'm not sure what to do with.. they came with some of the grills I have been an agent for. Out of principal I won't give it away.. I would much rather show someone the way of the chimney.
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 12:23:26 PM »
Has anyone tried to light a single briquette or two of Match Light under a chimney as a starter? That might be one way to use them up. Just thinking out loud - no idea if it would work.
Retired

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 01:12:06 PM »
I have been talking to a friend that owns some acreage for cattle. He says they use it for the burn piles of scrub that comes up from time to time.... Pretty sure he will take it off my hands and put it to good use! The guy is throwing like 2 bottles in and there is one in my shed that needs to GO!

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 01:15:41 PM »
Has anyone tried to light a single briquette or two of Match Light under a chimney as a starter? That might be one way to use them up. Just thinking out loud - no idea if it would work.
This.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 01:16:38 PM »
I wouldn't be committing some cardinal sin by poking a hole in the lid and mounting a thermometer to it would I? I'm finding in lid thermometers are VERY useful for me in keeping track of my cooking temps...

If it were a vintage kettle, especially a vintage kettle of color, yes. On this one, not at all.  Drill away!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 01:34:47 PM »
Use the charcoal starter fluid and the match light for starting your fire pit[emoji91][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 03:15:55 PM »
Close two vents and open the third one 1/3 top vent 1/2 open

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 01:47:08 PM »
I use the charcoal starter fluid for being lazy with the fire pit.
To use up any match light, I just use up a handful or two on the bottom of the chimney with regular coals on top.

Use the charcoal starter fluid and the match light for starting your fire pit[emoji91][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
regards,
Hal