Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Calling ALL!!!.....Why you hanging around my meat (Hanging Meat 101)  (Read 2170 times)

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
Hopefully that got the attention of a few.

I've been sitting on my hanging rack for my 22 for an age and just bagged another for the 18.

I'm taking my 18 for its maiden voyage today and it's going to be a hanging one.

• My kit:
WSM 22: Official Weber hanging rack
WSM 18.5: Gateway Smokers hanging rack (pic below)

• Hooks & Hanging Options:
Weber: Standard (in box)
Pit Barrel Cooker: Hooks, Turkey Hanger, Hanging Skewers (10" & 15")
Gateway: Hooks

I get the general gist, method and theory. I'm after guidance for my first cook and some inspiration for subsequent cooks. There just too much information and alot of it tailored towards the PBC.

Need confirmation on:

+ What is the best coal set up for a WSM when hanging.  I normally run a fuse/snake and maintain temps relatively easily on my 22 with water pan in place.

+ Strictly briquettes or lumpwood also an option? (I'm in the UK, Kingsford is not an option)

+ What temps do you guys run the cooker at? Do I just use the same temps as a regular cook or do I need to adjust ?

+ Meat that gets tender ( lamb shoulder for example), will that not fall into the coals?

+ What's an easy first cook? I'm leaning towards chicken, possibly alongside a lamb shoulder.

Thanks in advance

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Calling ALL!!!.....Why you hanging around my meat (Hanging Meat 101)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 09:23:40 AM »
Here’s my $.02

+ What is the best coal set up for a WSM when hanging.  I normally run a fuse/snake and maintain temps relatively easily on my 22 with water pan in place.

-> remove your grates and the water pan. You can side light (minion), snake, or use Soo’s Donut. I usually use Soo’s Donut method. That’s how I normally run my WSM and it’s seemed to work just fine for hanging.

+ Strictly briquettes or lumpwood also an option? (I'm in the UK, Kingsford is not an option)

-> A high quality briquette is fine. Just make sure it has 2 ingredients like RO chefs select or Weber. I wouldn’t use Kingsford or something similar for direct cooking. Just my personal preference.

+ What temps do you guys run the cooker at? Do I just use the same temps as a regular cook or do I need to adjust ?

-> I run mine similar to a PBC; so around 300-325.

+ Meat that gets tender ( lamb shoulder for example), will that not fall into the coals?

-> Hook under a joint/bone and you’ll be fine. Otherwise, double/triple/quadruple hook it if necessary. Chicken quarters/halves you could use one hook. I’d use 2 for a whole bird.

+ What's an easy first cook? I'm leaning towards chicken, possibly alongside a lamb shoulder.

Honestly, probably ribs. But chicken is very easy as well. Haven’t done lamb yet.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 01:06:21 PM »
Some say that the unique PBC cooked meat flavor comes from a full charcoal basket of briquettes with fully lit coals spread accross the top  ...  the contention is that the juices from the meat fall directly onto the hot coals and provide a "smoke" that flavors the meat.   I dunno, of course, because I use Weber kettles   ...   I don't need no stink'n PBC's.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 05:26:49 PM »
Some say that the unique PBC cooked meat flavor comes from a full charcoal basket of briquettes with fully lit coals spread accross the top  ...  the contention is that the juices from the meat fall directly onto the hot coals and provide a "smoke" that flavors the meat.   I dunno, of course, because I use Weber kettles   ...   I don't need no stink'n PBC's.

SJ

boring
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 08:07:04 PM »
I don't have the real thing but my version works very well.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 06:50:44 AM »
Dayum! If you want PBC results use a full basket. I use a torch to fire off all my cookers and basically just blast it until the edges of the briqs or lump start to ash over.
Cooking direct on drums requires very little intake so if it’s your first time on a wsm I’d recommend regulating the draft with one bottom vent facing forward and the other 2 completely closed- top vent open 100%.. if using a chimney I’d use @ 1/2-3/4 fully lit spread across the unlit charcoal. If using a 22” wsm consider using the ring from the 18”. No goofy soo buns or mazes.
WSM’s are notoriously drafty so always try to remember to work fast and smart when cooking direct- temps will spike the more oxygen it gets so don’t be lolligagging with the lid off.
Start out with split chicken and set the hooks through the back so it rests under the wing joints and hang away. I’m shooting for pit temps of 275-325 ideally and don’t sweat it if temps are over 350 at the finish.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 12:07:00 PM »

Dayum! If you want PBC results use a full basket. I use a torch to fire off all my cookers and basically just blast it until the edges of the briqs or lump start to ash over.
Cooking direct on drums requires very little intake so if it’s your first time on a wsm I’d recommend regulating the draft with one bottom vent facing forward and the other 2 completely closed- top vent open 100%.. if using a chimney I’d use @ 1/2-3/4 fully lit spread across the unlit charcoal. If using a 22” wsm consider using the ring from the 18”. No goofy soo buns or mazes.
WSM’s are notoriously drafty so always try to remember to work fast and smart when cooking direct- temps will spike the more oxygen it gets so don’t be lolligagging with the lid off.
Start out with split chicken and set the hooks through the back so it rests under the wing joints and hang away. I’m shooting for pit temps of 275-325 ideally and don’t sweat it if temps are over 350 at the finish.

☝️ The man has spoken.

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 02:14:36 PM »
Thanks all for the responses.

The first lesson learnt, I need to subscribe to my own threads to receive notifications.  [emoji3]

I went in semi blind and turned out alrite in the end.

The temp spikes super fast if the lid is open for any length of time.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:32:03 PM by Shanks Kop »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Calling ALL!!!.....Why you hanging around my meat (Hanging Meat 101)
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 06:41:10 PM »
“WSM’s are notoriously drafty”

I don’t notice mine running drafty. The cb door helped with that. I can’t leave the lid off for long, but once on, it settles down immediately. I don’t have a hanging rack but most of my cooks are top grate with no pan.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:15:48 AM by HoosierKettle »

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 11:41:09 PM »
I'm not sure how drafty mine is with it being the first cook on it and being relatively old and a little out of round alongside the supposedly drafty standard door.

The smoke I did have I'm not sure if it was the cooker or the style of cooking being my first time hanging meat.

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 11:50:27 PM »

Why do the temps that people shoot for increase so massively when hanging meats?

I'm normally around the 230-275f on a regular smoke.

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 11:53:39 PM »
Do you all add wood or leave it strictly briqs/lump?

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 02:53:49 PM »

Thanks for the tip of using the 18 charcoal ring in the 22

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 04:13:36 PM »
Here’s my $.02

-> remove your grates and the water pan. You can side light (minion), snake, or use Soo’s Donut. I usually use Soo’s Donut method. That’s how I normally run my WSM and it’s seemed to work just fine for hanging.

-> A high quality briquette is fine. Just make sure it has 2 ingredients like RO chefs select or Weber. I wouldn’t use Kingsford or something similar for direct cooking. Just my personal preference.

-> I run mine similar to a PBC; so around 300-325.

-> Hook under a joint/bone and you’ll be fine. Otherwise, double/triple/quadruple hook it if necessary. Chicken quarters/halves you could use one hook. I’d use 2 for a whole bird.

Honestly, probably ribs. But chicken is very easy as well. Haven’t done lamb yet.

Good luck!

Thanks for the detailed response Mike. Invaluable to ramp up the knowledge for jumping in at the deep end [emoji106]