Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Must have accessories for beginners  (Read 4796 times)

avega2792

• WKC Brave
Re: Must have accessories for beginners
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2018, 01:07:03 PM »
Do I remember reading somewhere that the charcoal baskets help keep the coals hotter longer? If so that's a definite add on too. I just placed the coals on the bottom grate, and they kind of scattered. I feel like I was losing temp by the end of the cook. Maybe it was just my imagination, but to me it definitely didn't seem to be as hot towards the end. I'm hoping that maybe a nice charcoal basket will help with that. I put about 40-45 briquettes in an 18" kettle, does that sound like a reasonable amount?

I use half of that when cooking on my 18" kettle, usually around 20-25 Stubbs briquettes and I use one charcoal basket. That gets my 18" kettle up to around 400 F and I cook for a good 1.5-2 hours with the top and bottom vents wide open. I still have enough fuel for my next cook too, I just add lit coals on top of what ever is left in the basket. I really like the baskets as I do think they help concentrate the heat better for two zone setup and I think they do help coals last longer. Definitely recommend giving them a try!

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2018, 01:08:12 PM »
The ash pan (and most other Weber parts) is cheaper here by over half.

https://bit.ly/2vahRtN

yippee

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2018, 08:07:57 PM »
I went ahead a purchased the Weber charcoal baskets to try out, since they're available locally and today. I figure if/when I uprage to the SnS I could either use them on a backup grill or find someone else who could use them. They did make a world of difference maintaining a hotter grill. I feel like I had a hotter and more stable grill through the whole cook (although short). So far I'm incredibly happy with them, especially for the price. Charcoal baskets seem to make a big difference from what I can tell so far.

I fired up the grill for the second time today, and cooked burgers again. The burgers were definitely way better this time around. Theres still room for improvement but they were a definite step up from last time.

I'm still debating all the thermometer stuff to decide which route I want to take. The Thermopop seems like a winner. I'd still like something to keep tabs on the cooking temps right above the grate. It sounds like something like the Thermoworks Smoke is meant for lower temp environments?

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2018, 09:56:06 PM »

I'm still debating all the thermometer stuff to decide which route I want to take. The Thermopop seems like a winner. I'd still like something to keep tabs on the cooking temps right above the grate. It sounds like something like the Thermoworks Smoke is meant for lower temp environments?
I'm a huge fan of the Thermoworks DOTS to monitor temps. Super easy to use and they can be used for grill temp or food temp. They also have an alarm I use to know when my meat has reached temp. I've got 5-6 of them and use them all over with my smokers and grills.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2018, 12:34:36 AM »
All worthy comments. On the tongs front. Pet peeve the tongs that don't have a clip at the top to keep them shut [emoji5]

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2018, 10:45:52 AM »
On the thermometer, I used a DozyAnt from Amazon. I have used their stuff before, and it is pretty accurate. I don't mind poking holes in the lid for something I am going to actually use. Now if this was a 1970s kettle different story, but even then, it's your grill, do what you want...

WHat I consider basic accessories are...

#1. Tongs. Stainless steel, that can lock shut and hang.
#2. Aluminum catch pans. The aluminum lasagne pans are fine, but the Weber branded catch pans are the same size, thinner but usable, and a LOT cheaper... You could use a steel lasagne pan, just make sure it fits your kettle!
#3. Silicone basting brush and a steel / stainless steel cup for keeping sauces / mops warm / hot while cooking...
#4. Stainless steel spatula for flipping burgers.
#5. Tool hanger(s).
#6. Meat fork.

Additions I have found nice are...
#7. High temp silicone glove for grabbing / moving the grate if need be.
#8. Hinged grate. Not 100% necessary, but it certainly makes long cooks easier!
#9. Waterproof charcoal bin for coal storage.
#10. Condiment rack. Nice, works with some stuff, not so great with other...

Not going to mention charcoal chimney and lighter as you stated you already had them...  but if not, but them under necessary.

I also like having a cutting board and prep knives out by the grill on a folding table.  Paper towels, waste bin etc... But again, that is elaborating the art...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2018, 10:52:00 AM »
No one has mentioned a cooler
with beverages of your choice.
Adult and/or other.
Oh, and ice. Lots of ice.

Of course most of us wouldn't
consider this to be an accessory.
More like a necessity. 8)
(kinda like charcoal)

MDF99

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2018, 11:43:20 AM »
A lid gasket was a must have for my kettle to hold low steady temp for pork shoulder - pulled pork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2018, 12:57:57 PM »
That lid must have been severely out of round. Never given gaskets a second thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Yesfan

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »
I just used vortex (thunder dome ) for first time. Wow,is how it works. My grill was Up too 600 degrees,I used a combination of Royal Oak and Mali lump. Chicken legs were fantastic and still moist inside. I added some Walmart Western lump and did direct with a flank steak and man I impressed myself. Lol. We had a great day today with the family.