Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Must have accessories for beginners  (Read 4794 times)

yippee

• Smokey Joe
Must have accessories for beginners
« on: July 22, 2018, 08:33:35 AM »
I landed me an original kettle 18" on Target's clearance sell. Now that I have the grill, I was wanting to see what everybody recommended as must haves for a beginner. I've cooked on charcoal before, but it's been so long, I really feel like I'm starting for the first time.

I'm thinking for my first bag of charcoal I'll try the Royal Oak Ridge charcoals. They seem to get a lot of love these days.

I definitely know I want the hinged cooking grate and a chimney starter.

I also want a thermometer so I can monitor my cooking temps just above the grate, but I'm really not sure what to go with in this department.

Anything else you recommend as a must have? Or even something that's just plain nice to have?

Thanks!

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Re: Must have accessories for beginners
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 09:44:02 AM »
The ROR briquettes are my Briquettes of choice. However, my favorite fuel is lump
Charcoal. Both serve a purpose in my cooks though.

The first thing I did with my first kettle was remove the ash pan and replace it with a galvanized, antique, laundry detergent bucket. It allows me to go almost a whole season without worrying about cleaning ash.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 10:07:47 AM »
I’d suggest some charcoal baskets 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 11:25:40 AM »
A quality set of tongs, spatula, and charcoal chimney.  I recommend the Weber ones. 

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 11:28:07 AM »
I love the 18.5 SnS basket. Adrenaline hit a home run with it imo. Great addition to any 18.5 kettle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 05:25:00 AM by Scott Zee »
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 12:12:12 PM »
+1 on the SnS basket. Works great also in the new Jumbo Joes. I use mine for 99% of my JJ cooks.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 12:31:16 PM »
Meat. Lots and lots of meat.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 12:38:21 PM »
Ok! I stand corrected :-(
Listen to @AZ Monsoon ;-)

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 03:19:19 PM »
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 06:48:54 PM »

Meat. Lots and lots of meat.

I agree with @AZ Monsoon. Get quality tongs/spatula and get some meat for grilling. I will say a good meat Thermometer is great for the perfect cook. I bought a Thermoworks thermo and love it. Nobody likes overdone meat. There are methods for low and slow or searing that don’t require extra $ but SnS products are legit.

yippee

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 07:38:59 PM »
Thanks for all the great suggestions so far! Keep 'em coming.

Today I picked up a bag of Royal Oak and a Weber chimney starter. Have they recently changed the ROR's to Royal Oak Original? That was the only thing I could find at Lowes. I'm guessing people are using the regular chimney starter for the 18" kettles as opposed to the mini chimney?

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a thermometer to mount in the lid above the grate? Is it best to put it on the direct or indirect cooking side?

Utensils, a folding grate, and a charcoal basket are still on a list of definite additions. I'm sure I'll come up with endless others as I get cooking again. Thinking about possibly getting one of those Weber utensil hook deals that hang off the side of the grill, figure it can't hurt to have somewhere to hang stuff while I'm cooking - especially for the $3.99 or whatever they cost.

I figure I'll try a bag of the RO lump next time, figured the briquettes may have a little bit less of a learning curve (or at least that's how I rationalized it at the time).

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 11:36:00 PM »
Pick up some drip pans.  They help keep your kettle much cleaner. I also recommend a grill cover if it is going to live out in the elements.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 11:39:55 PM »
Beer.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 10:34:07 AM »
Screw the accessories.  You have the grill. Get charcoal, buy meat.... cook the stuff...make meals.... learn how the grill works for you,  only then get accessories. Right now, just get a good thermometer so you know when the food is cooked properly.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 11:43:39 AM »
^^This^^

Oh yeah.
Get some nice steak knives.