Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Accessory Suggestions  (Read 1961 times)

Anthony11204

• Smokey Joe
Accessory Suggestions
« on: July 11, 2018, 06:35:33 AM »
Hi All,

Total Noobie to the WKC.  I've been a gasser all my life and always thought I should try the charcoal way.  Well as fate would have it as I brought my daughter home from a sleepover on a Saturday morning we drove by a garage sale and out of the corner of my eye, I saw the top of a Weber Ketter peeping out behind a table of baby clothes.  I went all starsksy and hutch and swooped into a parking spot and left my daughter behind.  It was and 18" priced at $20.  Offered $10...SOLD.  Ande I have been experimenting/learning every Saturday since.

Anyway, I have plans for building a cart/table as I am over 6ft and the 18 is way low. But before that, I received a $100 Amazon gift card and would like to go on a spending spree.
 - Any recommendations for Weber vendors on Amazon?
 - Should I get a flip grate or cast Iron grates?
 - Can you recommend a thermometer I can install to the lid.
 - Also looking for a recommendation on a digital instatn read thermometer.

THANK YOU!

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Re: Accessory Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 07:46:35 AM »
Nice score!

Best instant read thermometer is Thermopen. Same company makes thermopop, which is cheaper and also good.

I'd probably get flip grates.  Cheaper,  easier (and save the cast iron for when you get a 22  or 26"- more grills are likely coming)

Single best accessory I think is the chimney.  Followed by the thermopen. But the flip grate and a chimney will leave plenty of room on that gift card for baskets,  rubs, thermometers (maverick or thermoworks smoke really good remote thermometers) etc.

What color is it?  And welcome!

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 08:13:22 AM »
Not sure about the 18", I have a 22" and the DozyAnt 2" I installed in the lid, the probe would be WAY too long if it weren't for the hanger hook for the lid. I opted for a  unknown branded 2" thermometer with a 1" probe depth for my Smokey Joe. The idea is to between the lid vent, and the edge, have the thermometer probe get around where the meat will be cooking so you can get a reasonably accurate idea of the temp where you want to cook.

You will want a charcoal chimney starter. I have an old Kingsford chimney that is showing its age. I am not crazy about the bottom vents on the Weber, but everything else about their chimney design is just about how I like it... And the price is good too! Never have to worry about buying lighter fluid, or the lousy taste it puts into your food!

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-Stephen-Company-7429-Chimney/dp/B07B5BHKDZ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531325416&sr=8-3&keywords=Charcoal+Chimney+starter

Again not sure about the 18" but I am REALLY loving how easy keeping the fire going with a flip grate is... Wouldn't be without one if they are avaiable for your model!
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 09:02:18 AM »
Heres what i use on a regular basis, 18 inch flip grate can get them at target on sale for 7-10 bucks. Charcoal baskets. Oven thermometer for grate temp (its cheap but effective). I use weber basics utinsiles i love how they feel. I also have a weber style leave in thermometer but any decent one will do ya good. I forget the brand but any instant read will work. And a chiminey. Lighter cubes are also a big help. Thats what i use on a daily basis and i do pretty well lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 03:51:32 PM »
You may want to get the ash bucket along with the flip grate to convert to a OTG.  I have both for my 8-year old son’s 18”, but it hasn’t gotten much love since I got my Joe and Summit S-620.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 05:16:08 PM »
   If you wash and clean your grates get the SS flip grates they are a much easier clean, if you keep your grates "seasoned"buy the cheap flip grates. For some reason I don't trust the plating on these grates.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Anthony11204

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 06:00:39 PM »
Nice score!

Best instant read thermometer is Thermopen. Same company makes thermopop, which is cheaper and also good.

I'd probably get flip grates.  Cheaper,  easier (and save the cast iron for when you get a 22  or 26"- more grills are likely coming)

Single best accessory I think is the chimney.  Followed by the thermopen. But the flip grate and a chimney will leave plenty of room on that gift card for baskets,  rubs, thermometers (maverick or thermoworks smoke really good remote thermometers) etc.

What color is it?  And welcome!
Thanks. The kettle's black. Got a chimney already, and I will put the flip grates on the top of my list.  The popped and thermopen seem pricey.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Anthony11204

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 06:02:33 PM »
Not sure about the 18", I have a 22" and the DozyAnt 2" I installed in the lid, the probe would be WAY too long if it weren't for the hanger hook for the lid. I opted for a  unknown branded 2" thermometer with a 1" probe depth for my Smokey Joe. The idea is to between the lid vent, and the edge, have the thermometer probe get around where the meat will be cooking so you can get a reasonably accurate idea of the temp where you want to cook.

You will want a charcoal chimney starter. I have an old Kingsford chimney that is showing its age. I am not crazy about the bottom vents on the Weber, but everything else about their chimney design is just about how I like it... And the price is good too! Never have to worry about buying lighter fluid, or the lousy taste it puts into your food!

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-Stephen-Company-7429-Chimney/dp/B07B5BHKDZ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531325416&sr=8-3&keywords=Charcoal+Chimney+starter

Again not sure about the 18" but I am REALLY loving how easy keeping the fire going with a flip grate is... Wouldn't be without one if they are avaiable for your model!
Db thanks for tip on thermometer placement.

Anthony11204

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 06:04:36 PM »
Heres what i use on a regular basis, 18 inch flip grate can get them at target on sale for 7-10 bucks. Charcoal baskets. Oven thermometer for grate temp (its cheap but effective). I use weber basics utinsiles i love how they feel. I also have a weber style leave in thermometer but any decent one will do ya good. I forget the brand but any instant read will work. And a chiminey. Lighter cubes are also a big help. Thats what i use on a daily basis and i do pretty well lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Thnks Liquid. Do the charcoal baskets fit in an 18. The descriptions of the ones i find online say for the 22?

Anthony11204

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 06:06:24 PM »
You may want to get the ash bucket along with the flip grate to convert to a OTG.  I have both for my 8-year old son’s 18”, but it hasn’t gotten much love since I got my Joe and Summit S-620.
Whaleina thankyou. The replacement ash bucket fits the 18? Thought they were fitted for only the 22.

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 06:11:24 PM »
Whaleina thankyou. The replacement ash bucket fits the 18? Thought they were fitted for only the 22.

Weber makes an ash catcher for the 18”; part number 65131; larger Ace or Tru Value Hardware stores may have them in stock, if not they are available on Amazon for a few dollars more.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 07:02:20 PM »

@Anthony11204 -  Look at the date lettering on your lid vent and compare it to the WKC age guide.  18" kettles made before 2000 were not designed to accept or come with a ash bucket.  If the 18" kettle you acquired is 2000 (DD Code) or newer, the ash bucket will fit with no modifications.  If it is 1999 (EE Code), bowl vents will extend slightly past the ash bucket ring. This will allow ashes to fall outside the ash bucket, making a mess and creating a fire danger if you BBQ on a deck. It can be modified but but wanted you to be aware of the fact. Also, you will have to mount the ash bucket ring with either hose clamps or another method as the tabs won't line up with the leg socket holes.   

Here is a thread discussing this:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/18'-otg-question/

I use a charcoal basket in my 18", but only one not both.  There's not enough room to use two.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Anthony11204

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 04:49:32 PM »

Weber makes an ash catcher for the 18”; part number 65131; larger Ace or Tru Value Hardware stores may have them in stock, if not they are available on Amazon for a few dollars more.
Ok I will check online. Thanks.

Anthony11204

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 04:52:10 PM »

@Anthony11204 -  Look at the date lettering on your lid vent and compare it to the WKC age guide.  18" kettles made before 2000 were not designed to accept or come with a ash bucket.  If the 18" kettle you acquired is 2000 (DD Code) or newer, the ash bucket will fit with no modifications.  If it is 1999 (EE Code), bowl vents will extend slightly past the ash bucket ring. This will allow ashes to fall outside the ash bucket, making a mess and creating a fire danger if you BBQ on a deck. It can be modified but but wanted you to be aware of the fact. Also, you will have to mount the ash bucket ring with either hose clamps or another method as the tabs won't line up with the leg socket holes.   

Here is a thread discussing this:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/18'-otg-question/

I use a charcoal basket in my 18", but only one not both.  There's not enough room to use two.
Okay i will check for the DD code thank you.

Anthony11204

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 08:49:19 AM »
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.  The following items should start showing up from Amazon tomorrow:

- Yukon Glory BBQ Beer Can Chicken Roaster Rack For Oven or Grill, 12 Ounce Beer Can Holder
- Mr. Bar-B-Q 06750X Non Stick Grilling Skillet with Removable Handle
- Classic Accessories Ravenna Kettle Grill Cover - Premium Outdoor Grill Cover with Durable and Water Resistant Fabric (55-178-015101-EC)
- Behrens 1212GS 12-Quart Galvanized Steel Pail
- Outspark Must-Have Accessory Stainless Steel Slide-a-Side Lid Holder Fits for 18”/22”/26” Charcoal Kettle Grills
-  DozyAnt 2" 550F BBQ Barbecue Charcoal Grill Pit Wood Smoker Temp Gauge Grill Thermometer 2.5" Stem Stainless Steel RWB
- Weber 7402 Charcoal Rails
- Weber 7433 Hinged Cooking Grate