Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Newbie looking to ditch gas for charcoal  (Read 969 times)

Neo Fender

• Happy Cooker
Newbie looking to ditch gas for charcoal
« on: July 10, 2018, 02:13:10 PM »
Hello,

I have a gas grill and had a Masterbuilt electric smoker that I never was impressed with.  Looking at possibly a Weber Performer Deluxe  for grilling but also for smoking brisket and shoulders.

Question: If cooking is complete but there is charcoal remaining, how does the status quo usually handle it?  Let it burn then dump the ashes?  I imagine this could take overnight but pouring water on them would just make a horrible mess.  Thoughts?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Newbie looking to ditch gas for charcoal
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 02:18:37 PM »
Welcome and glad you have come to your senses. Performer will be great. The beauty of a Weber is you simply close upper and lower vents and the coals go out. Leave them there and do nothing. Reuse them next cook along with new.

This is gonna be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 02:21:38 PM by HoosierKettle »

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
Re: Newbie looking to ditch gas for charcoal
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 02:46:34 PM »
Hello and welcome to the WKC from Eugene, Oregon.  Performer Deluxe is a great cooking machine.  Mine (<---- avatar) has cooked everything on your list and more.  For total ease on those longer cooks (8-15 hrs) you might want to consider one of the Slow-n-Sear accessories.  Of course, you can always reload unlit charcoal w/o the SnS but it's a bit more challenging.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 03:45:23 PM »
Welcome, Neo. Yep, when you shut off their airflow, they die.

Maybe look at some YouTube videos for how to do some basic stuff on a 22 Weber; that'll get you going. Nice choice.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 08:14:51 PM »
Welcome from Wisconsin.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 03:00:42 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga the performer would be a very nice first choice
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 06:12:11 AM »
Welcome from Virginia Beach, VA.