Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: " The Happy Cooker " The Truth  (Read 49414 times)

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
Re: " The Happy Cooker " The Truth
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2017, 07:58:49 AM »
You could be right , after Weber eliminated the competition they could have approached Sears with an economy grill , ... .
That could explain what I have: A 22 inch kettle that has all the features and dimensions of an early 1980s Weber, including the dished aluminum ash catcher, the three bottom vents with large tabs, three aluminum legs in classical Weber sockets, a side-mounted wooden cutting board, etc. black color, but not a single marking of the manufacturer on anything (I have looked hard).  Black plastic handle on top of the lid and one on the side but handles had a different shape than what I have seen on Happy Cookers and mine did not have that unique internal pan characteristic of HC. The lid is not hinged and does not have a spot welded hook on the inside surface of the lid to hang it off the side  I bought this in about 1981-1982 (definitely not older than 1980), possibly from Sears, since there was one very nearby my house then. 
Still searching for a food that does NOT taste better when grilled or smoked

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2017, 08:13:24 AM »
Someone posted this link on the Facebook site - Weber Kettle Fans.  It is a schematic from Weber's website for a Sears Economy Kettle.  Appears Weber at one time produced a "Happy Cooker" clone for Sears. It included an internal ash pan just like the Happy Cooker.
Bingo...this must be what I have, although mine did not have an internal ash pan.  I'm sort of happy again....I was afraid I had some cheap, imported, patent-violating bastardized creation from some long gone fly-by-night company.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:18:12 AM by BillA from CA »
Still searching for a food that does NOT taste better when grilled or smoked

moosehead

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2018, 03:28:11 PM »
Just picked this one up for $15. I'll clean it up and see how she looks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2018, 03:52:54 PM »
Grate score!!!  Glad this went to a WKC member.  So, is this a hinged lid model (missing the hinge though)?  Couldn’t tell for sure from your FB post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

moosehead

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2018, 06:12:36 PM »
Believe so but it is missing the hinge. I'll post more when I clean it up. So far the bowl and ash catcher look solid. Top handle is a little bent.
Grate score!!!  Glad this went to a WKC member.  So, is this a hinged lid model (missing the hinge though)?  Couldn’t tell for sure from your FB post.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2018, 08:58:56 PM »
Just an update on the date range for the happy cooker , it looks like the first trademark is 1979 and it was killed in 1988 a period of 9 years , it's safe to assume if you have a HC of any kind it's from this 9 year period, but there's no way to date these grills , unless you score a NIB and it's dated on the packaging .
Nice.

Sounds like we should put together a nice happy cooker knowledge page.

Troy, that would be so cool. since I have been a member here I have found some nice older kettles and sent them to happy homes, My Remuda is about 5 Weber kettles of 3 sizes and then I SCORED A HAPPY COOKER FOR FREE

I actually offered it up and had interest, but I did 2 low and slow cooks on it

I was hooked, that internal ash pan is the shiznit for controlling airflow. Such as the Weber is a lucky design, I think that internal ash pan with the multiple holes is a fluke. Those things cook so excellent.

I cannot say if there is a patent on that ash tray, it not someone needs to start stamping them out for Weber kettles, once you do a BBQ cook with one you will be hooked.

Sorry for the hijack, yes a page on the front end about Happy Cookers would be so cool.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:10:28 PM by Jammato »
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Keith UK

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2018, 07:08:22 AM »
I'm from Essex, UK and happened to be searching the Web for a cooking grid for my BBQ when I chanced across your Forum and the Happy Cooker thread.  Since there sees still to be some interest in Happy Cooker BBQ's, I thought you might be interested in my experience with them (it).

I've had the 22.5 inch version since I bought it new in December 1982 in Debenhams Department store in Oxford Street, London.  It cost £60 then which, at today's rate is about $80.  It has lived outside all its life and has been used on average 2-3 times a week in the Summer and occasionally in the Winter.  It remains in excellent condition and the only things I've had to replace to date were the charcoal grid and cooking grid, both once.  They are nearing being renewed again, hence me searching the Web.

The quality of the BBQ (or "Smoker" as the handbook calls it) speaks for itself.  In the UK, it is unheard of in this day and age for similar equipment to last more than a few years before it rusts and fall apart.  Strangely, I enjoy looking at it every day and will never get rid of it.  If any of the main parts give up I will do my best to make or find something to replace it.  Currently there is no danger of that and I feel certain it will see me out.

I have attached a photo of the original hand book and the cooker itself (which I'm about fire up shortly).

Thanks for allowing me to post this and I hope it is of interest to some of you.

Regards

Keith

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 07:10:07 AM by Keith UK »

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
" The Happy Cooker " The Truth
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2018, 07:30:59 AM »
I'm from Essex, UK and happened to be searching the Web for a cooking grid for my BBQ when I chanced across your Forum and the Happy Cooker thread.  Since there sees still to be some interest in Happy Cooker BBQ's, I thought you might be interested in my experience with them (it).

I've had the 22.5 inch version since I bought it new in December 1982 in Debenhams Department store in Oxford Street, London.  It cost £60 then which, at today's rate is about $80.  It has lived outside all its life and has been used on average 2-3 times a week in the Summer and occasionally in the Winter.  It remains in excellent condition and the only things I've had to replace to date were the charcoal grid and cooking grid, both once.  They are nearing being renewed again, hence me searching the Web.

The quality of the BBQ (or "Smoker" as the handbook calls it) speaks for itself.  In the UK, it is unheard of in this day and age for similar equipment to last more than a few years before it rusts and fall apart.  Strangely, I enjoy looking at it every day and will never get rid of it.  If any of the main parts give up I will do my best to make or find something to replace it.  Currently there is no danger of that and I feel certain it will see me out.

I have attached a photo of the original hand book and the cooker itself (which I'm about fire up shortly).

Thanks for allowing me to post this and I hope it is of interest to some of you.

Regards

Keith
Welcome to the club Keith.  Nice to have another HC guy in the mix.  That’s a nice looking kettle in grate shape.  Up til a year ago, an orange HC was a myth amongst us.  Yours now makes 5 confirmed.  I grabbed the mistreated twin to yours a little bit ago & hope to get ‘er looking close to as nice as yours.  Was the control knob originally black & would you mind posting pics of all the pages to the owner’s guide?  I like the fact that they say “painted” for the orange, but it’s definitely porcelain.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 07:34:52 AM by brewtownbeatdown »

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Keith UK

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2018, 10:57:25 AM »
I just replied to brewtownbeatdown's post and included several photos but when I clicked "post" the whole thing just disappeared.  There were 7 photos, could this have been the problem.

Keith

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2018, 12:47:17 PM »
Wish I had a definitive answer for you.  Using the web browser to post pics requires a photo site from what I understand.  I’ve always used Tapatalk app to add photos, so I’ve never had an issue when posting pics. 

Keith UK

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2018, 11:01:04 PM »
Thanks for that brewtownbeatdown and for the welcome.  I'll have another go at posting the pics you were after.

The control knob is indeed a wooden ball painted black black but most of the colour has worn off now.  I can also confirm the orange lid is porcelain (or enamel as we call it over here), as is the bottom half of the kettle but that is black.

Attached are photos of the 5 remaining pages of the Guide, plus one of the control knob.

Regards

Keith

Keith UK

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2018, 11:05:28 PM »
Apologies but I included the wrong photo of the knob in the last post.  The correct one is attached.

Keith

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2018, 10:21:12 AM »
Finally finished restoring mine.  Thanks @Keith UK for the info/pics.

Found ‘er looking like this:

Got ‘er looking like this:

My [emoji521][emoji521][emoji521] family:

The control knob is indeed a wooden ball painted black black but most of the colour has worn off now.

After sanding the weathered knob, I couldn’t bring myself to paint it black, so:

My brown HC pedestal came from the factory that way, so I feel ok going that route.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2018, 11:44:59 AM »
Very nice restore, worthy of any collection

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2018, 04:27:34 PM »
Wow! Nicely done! Love those oranges.