Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Karma  (Read 2499 times)

Cellar2ful

Couldn't think of a more appropriate subject for my 2000th post.

Last week, @Heyjude sent me an email late one evening. It was a strange listing with a picture of a microwave titled "Microwave, HDMI Cables, BBQ". At first I though AJ was messing with me. The first thumbnail photo I click on was of an old beaten grill of unknown make.  Continuing through the thumbnails I see why he sent me the link.  An NFL Raiders SJ.  It is filthy but from the look of the handle, appears to be in great shape.  My wife being a huge Raiders fan I think great.  Problem is, the add says 8 AM until noon the next day and it is in Sacramento, two hours from me. I text @Mike in Roseville , asking if he would be able to agent it for me.  He responds yes.

The next day, I receive a text from Mike with a picture of the Raiders SJ all cleaned up with the text "It's NFL draft day".  It hits me that it is actually the NFL draft that afternoon.  Turns out Mike could not pick up the kettle due to his schedule.  No problem, he reached out to his neighbor, @inkaddictedchef1 who was able to score the Raiders SJ for me.  Interesting part is once I saw the Raiders SJ, I quit looking through the thumbnail photos.  Turned out the seller also had a pristine H Code brownie for sale that I had not even seen.  Now we all know who happens to have an attraction to brownies so it worked out nicely for Matt doing me a favor.  Seems like karma is a real thing.

Not enough to convince you?  OK

The same day that Heyjude sent me the CL add, my wife and I were returning from running errands.  Driving home, we see a sign for an estate sale. I followed the signs to the estate sale but find it is on a dead end street with no available parking.  It was around noon and we were hungry so we ended up not stopping.  The next day (NFL draft day), my friend drops this off at my house. He had picked it up at an estate sale close to my house.  Yep, same estate sale we had driven by the day before. 

It's a Pat Pending 18" with steel wheels. 

See the guy who picked up this 18" little red jewel for me is the fella that I restored his Dad's kettle for last year (see Legacy Kettle thread below). You will need to read this story to really see the karma connection.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/a-legacy-kettle/msg313139/#msg313139

Once again, karma is real..............................

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:05:16 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Karma
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 01:39:24 PM »
Awesome story, beautiful grills congrats on # 2000 and thumbs up to all the grillfellas involved and yes Karma is real

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 01:51:27 PM »
Grate story and scores Jim. Congrats on your 2000 post, great one.
The Karma is strong there in NoCal. Kudos to you all.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 01:57:51 PM »
To add a little piece of extra Kettle Karma Mojo to this story...

Since two grills were involved in the final price, the seller hadn’t been contacted and a price negotiated before hand, and Matt and I teamed this one...I worked the deal with Matt and “gifted” the Raiders SJ to Jim and Karen.

A few weeks earlier, Jim snagged a Gen 2 Grey Performer off Craigslist knowing that another local member was looking for one. When that member passed on the grill, it was left at Jim’s place in need of a home. My mother-in-law, who loves grey, mentioned that she wanted another Weber that previous weekend.

I asked Jim if he would be so kind to sell me the Gen 2 Grey Performer he picked up a few weeks back (that I’m gifting to my in-laws) at cost.

Done.

The C&B Grey Performer had a set of gently used Craycort grates in it that I happily gifted to @JordanW for kindly picking up the Perfomer on Sunday while making some kettle swaps and pickups in the East Bay.

This was a perfect storm of a situation where everyone involved came away a winner. Glad we could help.

Happy 2000th post, Jim.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 02:58:17 PM by Mike in Roseville »

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 02:02:14 PM »
Great 2000th post!!! And congrats and nice work to all involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 02:12:40 PM »
Love it! Grate work fellas.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 02:20:38 PM »
As always it's a pleasure working with you guys! Great 2000th post Jim happy to secure the raiders SJ for Karen and land the H code for my upcoming gen 1 SSP build... yes kettle karma is real!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 02:46:13 PM »
Can't wait to see that ssp finished Congrats all around!
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 02:56:39 PM »

Thanks for filling in the blanks Mike.  The part left out is that Heyjude, the person that started this multi faceted kettle movement, was involved again.  He picked up the grey Performer I had for Mike and a kettle that @dazzo had for JordanW, so Jordan did not have to drive so far.  Those two kettles were in two different cities, about an hour apart. 

I knew there was more to the story, but I left town as all the feverish transportation arrangements were being worked out. 

Seems like every time I rent the beach house, great kettle things seem to happen.  Last time it was the 61/62 Ambassador. I've got to go to the beach more often.......................
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 02:57:06 PM »
Grate Team work and indeed awesome 2K Post @Cellar2ful .  Congratulations to Matt for brownie .
Kettle Karma for sure is real.
Looking for Colored 18 MBH

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 03:12:11 PM »
Wow!
Just amazing, there are a few incredible benchmark posts on our site, this is up there for number one or two for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 04:03:00 PM »
I really love hearing all the incredible team work going on behind the scenes.  Way to go, guys.  Keep the kettle karma going...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 05:25:32 PM »

Thanks for filling in the blanks Mike.  The part left out is that Heyjude, the person that started this multi faceted kettle movement, was involved again.  He picked up the grey Performer I had for Mike and a kettle that @dazzo had for JordanW, so Jordan did not have to drive so far.  Those two kettles were in two different cities, about an hour apart. 

I knew there was more to the story, but I left town as all the feverish transportation arrangements were being worked out. 

Seems like every time I rent the beach house, great kettle things seem to happen.  Last time it was the 61/62 Ambassador. I've got to go to the beach more often.......................
Definitely go to the beach more often, regardless of the kettles.  But everyone was a winner in this indeed.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Mr.Smoke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »
Cudos to everyone involved. As a Raider fan myself this brought an extra smile to my face. Happy Grillin!!!!!

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 06:22:18 PM »
Awesome story!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.