Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First cook on 22" WSM.  (Read 1690 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
First cook on 22" WSM.
« on: April 29, 2018, 10:42:14 AM »

More Beef short ribs. Hope they turn out tender and juicy by the dinner time.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
First cook on 22" WSM.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 11:21:51 AM »
My favorite as I'm not into smoked pork ribs. Temperature, time and recipe?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:31:03 AM by Jules V. »

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Re: First cook on 22" WSM.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 01:01:44 PM »
My favorite as I'm not into smoked pork ribs. Temperature, time and recipe?

I tried slow cooking at around 200 to 275 for about 6 to 7 hrs until tooth pick tender test. Not using any probe/thermo reading except those 2 external thermos. The lid shows 205 and the other one shows 350. Inaccurate for sure.

After 3hrs they look like they are done. Maybe the temp is too high.  I wrapped them in parchment paper and dialed the vents for lower temp. I will let it go for few more hrs. and see what happens.

Simple salt and pepper and garlic powder on the short rib slabs. The other smaller ones are flanken short ribs marinated in korean kalbi sauce. Instead of grilling kalbi, I decided to try wrapping  them up with a string and slow cook with other slabs. First time trying this.

Will see in a few hrs how they turn out.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 02:18:31 PM »
Looks like the ribs are done at 5hrs mark. Internal Temp at 199. and probes like a butter. I will let it go for another 30 min. till rest of the dinner is ready.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 03:39:56 PM »
Turned out pretty good.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 03:40:13 PM »
Looks like the ribs are done at 5hrs mark. Internal Temp at 199. and probes like a butter. I will let it go for another 30 min. till rest of the dinner is ready.

I'd gladly take some off those of your hands

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 03:59:30 PM »
Those look great man!
I’d say there is definitely a problem with the thermos. That’s quite a difference.
So how did you like cooking on it? I’ve only seen one in person and they are big!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 05:07:24 PM »
Thanks guys!

@Travis - Next time, I will monitor cooking grate temp to see how far off the lid thermo is and adjust vents accordingly. I suspect I was running little hot thru. first 3hrs. but ribs still came out moist. 

Few observation after using this for the first time.... You get less change of drying or burning meat vs using reg. kettles due to mostly radian heat. I didn't even use water in the water pan/heat deflector.  One the WSM, you can use 100% of the top cooking grate and maybe 80% on the bottom cooking grate without worrying about your meat being close to your heat source. Also, any long cooks can be done easily without refueling. If you get the door sealed up, maybe over 10hrs.  You can't do that on a kettle. Plus, no matter how you arrange charcoal you will always get some direct heat to the meat.

This thing makes long cooks so much easier. I give 2 thumbs up.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 07:21:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing the cook and your thoughts on a 22 WSM. I've been wanting an 18 or 22 and haven't decided which one I'd prefer. Also galbi for the win!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 09:00:03 AM »
Thanks for sharing the cook and your thoughts on a 22 WSM. I've been wanting an 18 or 22 and haven't decided which one I'd prefer. Also galbi for the win!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

You really can't go wrong with either. Most say go up and get the big one...have the extra room and be done with it. 22WSM uses more fuel...but really...if you only cook on it a few times a year, does it matter? If you are only cooking 1 brisket, or 2 pork butts, or 2 racks of ribs at a time occasionally...then a cheap 18WSM might be a better bet.

I have been perfectly fine with an 18WSM. They are the ones that pop up the most and are the cheapest to find used. There are advantages/disadvantages to each size. Most people that have each size use the 22WSM the most. For a space issue, If I ever need more room ill supplement my 18WSM with another 18WSM or...a 26.75."

@greenweb...a good grate thermometer will really change your game (Thermoworks Smoke). Sometimes I find the factory lid thermo accurate to the grate temp, other times its hotter/colder depending on conditions and cooking method.

gus9904

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 11:18:17 AM »
I wanted a 22, but got an amazing deal on an 18. I’m in Miami and don’t see a lot of the amazing finds you guys post about so had to jump on something! I’d say the 18 does an amazing job and has a good footprint. The 22 might have been a bit large for my needs. This weekend I did four pork shoulders that were 12 lbs before cleaning them up and they took up the whole top and bottom rack. I was able to feed about 50 people for my kids birthday party! So far it has been an awesome experience and a bit easier than slow cooking in the kettle when it comes to maintaining the temperature and refueling. (not knocking the kettle at all, still smoke in it when it’s a small cook)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

gus9904

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 11:20:03 AM »
@greenweb, forgot to mention that your cook looks amazing. dying to make some myself.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 11:33:57 AM »
Awesome first cook I would say
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 02:26:16 PM »
Thanks @Mike in Roseville and @gus9904 for sharing your thoughts. Sounds like I should go with an 18 :)
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 08:52:30 PM »
Don’t forget about the WSM 14”. Pretty awesome little cooker and handles more meat then you’d expect. If one of those pop up grab it.
That’s a nice looking first cook on that 22.  Beef ribs are so good.