Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Can't wait to get my CB door!  (Read 6660 times)

bkeaver

• Smokey Joe
Can't wait to get my CB door!
« on: April 28, 2018, 01:36:43 PM »
Well I assembled my 22.5" today and I cannot believe how bad this stock door fit! I hope my stainless door fits way better than this when it arrives..

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Can't wait to get my CB door!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 01:56:16 PM »
It's thin aluminum ... it can easily be bent back.

But yeah I know what you mean. I just now caved and ordered one for my 18.5. Mine is the older style WSM with not only the door that never seals, but the round knob for the latch that's a joke. Saw nothing in the scratch 'n dent section of the store, so I'm getting the door + SouthCo latch kit.

I haven't used my WSM in 2-3 years! Today I've spent $100 on it (Gateway hanger kit also ...)

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

bkeaver

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 04:33:27 PM »
Well after several bends I think I have it good enough for a cook.. shouldn't have to do that though but whatever..

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 05:24:15 PM »
Looks much better. I bent and re-bent and massaged and talked sweetly to mine but it never seals worth a crap.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

bkeaver

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 05:53:00 PM »
Kind of what I'm afraid of. Hopefully my new for gets here soon...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 06:45:12 PM »
I think you guys will both really like the cb door and latch. The latch does get hot and a glove or hot pad is helpful when opening while cooking, but that is a small price to pay for such a solid door and solid locking latch.

In my case, I couldn’t shut the cooker down and had some trouble with temps using my stock door. The new door solved that completely.

Also, mine did have a couple wisps of smoke coming out of the corners for awhile. Don’t let that worry you if it happens. It’s not enough to affect cooking and it will be a huge improvement over stock.

Just my opinion. Have fun and looking forward to your cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 09:28:44 PM »
The Cajun Bandit door sure looks pretty. I still have the stock door. Sure I see a little smoke escaping when first firing it up, but temp control is easy and it shuts down fast when I close all the vents with the stock door.

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 09:01:50 AM »
Is getting the door with latch included for $47.99 the same as buying the door and latch separately for $31.99 and $25.00?

https://www.cajunbandit.com/Stainless-Steel-Smoker-Door-With-Latch-Fits-18-5-p/18dlb08.htm

Decent amount cheaper to go the first route, but want to make sure I’m not missing something here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 09:22:31 AM »
Is getting the door with latch included for $47.99 the same as buying the door and latch separately for $31.99 and $25.00? ...

Yes, in both cases it's a latch made by someone else (SouthCo). (Cajun Bandit, like some other companies, resells some things made by other people.)

My understanding is that CB offers the door alone (with either round or square latch hole) for people who want to use their existing latch and save money ... but I can't imagine why anyone would want to drill out the rivet and rejigger the older round knob latch, which sucks.

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 09:44:33 AM »
Is getting the door with latch included for $47.99 the same as buying the door and latch separately for $31.99 and $25.00? ...

Yes, in both cases it's a latch made by someone else (SouthCo). (Cajun Bandit, like some other companies, resells some things made by other people.)

My understanding is that CB offers the door alone (with either round or square latch hole) for people who want to use their existing latch and save money ... but I can't imagine why anyone would want to drill out the rivet and rejigger the older round knob latch, which sucks.

Awesome - thanks for confirming.

My WSM wont shut down so hopefully this will help. It is also out of round, so it leaks at the lid too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 09:50:22 AM »

My WSM wont shut down so hopefully this will help. It is also out of round, so it leaks at the lid too.

It will definitely help but alternatively you can remove the mid section and place a 18 kettle lid on the wsm bowl. That will shut it down faster than anything.

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 02:42:46 PM »

It will definitely help but alternatively you can remove the mid section and place a 18 kettle lid on the wsm bowl. That will shut it down faster than anything.

I actually dont own a Weber Kettle *ducks*

Only have the WSM and Q1200

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 09:32:04 PM »
It's thin aluminum ... it can easily be bent back.

But yeah I know what you mean. I just now caved and ordered one for my 18.5. Mine is the older style WSM with not only the door that never seals, but the round knob for the latch that's a joke. Saw nothing in the scratch 'n dent section of the store, so I'm getting the door + SouthCo latch kit.

I haven't used my WSM in 2-3 years! Today I've spent $100 on it (Gateway hanger kit also ...)

Two excellent purchases. I have 2 CB doors/SC Latches (one for each 18WSM). You will still get some wisps of smoke, but it is a drastic improvement. I am considering picking up one for my newly acquired 14WSM as well.

I don't have a Gateway, but I do have a Weber rack. Both have their advantages/disadvantages. That said, I will probably purchase a Gateway Hanger down the road to add to the arsenal.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 10:46:21 PM »
It looks very nice, will it make your food taste better, No. If you got money to burn go for it, otherwise the original door will work fine

bkeaver

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 06:01:28 AM »
Well it could your food taste better if it fits better and let's less smoke out I suppose. [emoji846]

Also could help in using less fuel if again fits better.

But I get what your saying and appreciate the input for sure.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 06:04:10 AM by bkeaver »