Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Where are all the Summit owners?  (Read 20110 times)

mobiledynamics

• Smokey Joe
Re: Where are all the Summit owners?
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2018, 05:17:19 PM »
Did the leak develop over time--- or does it seal up better when fresh....
Ahh, I guess I'll need to run a bag of coal and wood for a seasoning and see if I can detect any leaks

mobiledynamics

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2018, 10:43:18 AM »
For those in the know, with the rubber setting the ~gap~ between the bottom bowl and frame, can a second tool holder be installed after you put the bottom bowl on. Or does it need to be installed before the bottom bowl is on...

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2018, 10:58:22 AM »
Did the leak develop over time--- or does it seal up better when fresh....
Ahh, I guess I'll need to run a bag of coal and wood for a seasoning and see if I can detect any leaks

It's been there since I bought it. The whole lid assembly sits too far forward on the bowl. The metal gasket does not touch the flat lip on the bowl. I'm waiting to hear back from Weber. Thanks!

mobiledynamics

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2018, 11:07:57 AM »
Just curious. Aside from the known retrofit hinge.....

Do you recall what production was yours. Just got mine in. Mine was May 02 2016

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2018, 11:32:24 AM »
Mine had leaks all around when I first got it and I thought I would run some long cooks in it to improve the seal.  A few pork shoulders later and it has greatly improved.  I have to keep it almost shut down completely to hold 225 and I will get a few light puffs of smoke here and there, but nothing to throw off the temps too badly.  That is unfortunate to hear about the lid not sitting in the right position.  Not sure how to correct that one. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:58:55 PM by Josh G »

mobiledynamics

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2018, 12:16:51 PM »
dwnthehatch - how long have you had your WSG. I saw a older review with the same issue. Too front forward. Gasket not sitting on the front

----
Edit. Disregard. I just read your other post.
Between new lid and hinge, does it look like it's sitting flush with the new/newer parts.

If you have a older hinge, mind sharing details on what the new hinge difference is - per BBM, there is a slight tweak in design on the hinge ?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 12:40:38 PM by mobiledynamics »

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2018, 04:45:27 AM »
Just curious. Aside from the known retrofit hinge.....

Do you recall what production was yours. Just got mine in. Mine was May 02 2016

It has an AR date code.

dwnthehatch - how long have you had your WSG. I saw a older review with the same issue. Too front forward. Gasket not sitting on the front

----
Edit. Disregard. I just read your other post.
Between new lid and hinge, does it look like it's sitting flush with the new/newer parts.

If you have a older hinge, mind sharing details on what the new hinge difference is - per BBM, there is a slight tweak in design on the hinge ?

Honestly, the older hinge looked exactly the same to me. I have a good eye and would notice a change. The new hinge was dated 2017 though.

I'll try to take a pic of where the seal is missing the rear of the bowl.

Thanks everyone. I'm still waiting to hear back from Weber.

mobiledynamics

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2018, 04:50:52 AM »
Interesting read.I just put mine together. There is some small (side to side) adjustment/play one can do when installing the top to the hinge. No front to back. I was OCD and literally just had the nuts loose in place, checked the overall OD of the hinge seating, lifting the lid, looking on where the gasket met the surface, etc. Seemed to be aligned good .

The bottom bowl rim is like a solid 1"+ in diameter (I'll go home and measure". Must be pretty misaligned if you're saying the gasket is not sealing up on that surface ?

Guess I'll know better when I throw some fire in there....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 05:05:11 AM by mobiledynamics »

mobiledynamics

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2018, 03:37:43 AM »
Is it just me, or the diameter of the grates ~thicker~ than regular kettle.  Went looking for a  second grate for the lower position permanent - hardly ever go to Homers to look at the grates. The ones that come on summit do appear to be thicker than than OE 22"ish kettle variant.

mobiledynamics

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2018, 12:24:29 PM »
Man. This thing holds temps....Doing the initial burn in

It was burning off/smoking off for a solid hr. Probably going to choke it and close it down, but a quick peek about 2 hrs in and it looks like the coals have not budged a bit
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 12:29:44 PM by mobiledynamics »

jp217p

• WKC Brave
« Reply #130 on: February 06, 2019, 08:49:45 AM »
I bought a used one a week or so ago

Bought a few of thr weber gourmet inserts for the grill. Cast iron cross grate, pizza stone, cast iron pan.
Modified some old weber charcoal baskets, to make them more of a slow and sear size.
Cleaned the snot out of it.
Cooked a prime rib, sausages, carne asada on it so far..

Thinking some beer but chicken is next. With some andiulle sausage. then take all that meet and make chicken and sausage gumbo. Thats some yummy goodness right there.

I am really happy with it. But i was happy with the 22” kettle. The key word to discribe the Summit.. is versatility.. One kettle, that can be used so many different ways.. it stupid simple to operate and figure out.

On my first cook, i learned you have to use the upper vent to cook low and slow, or the temp will rise to high.

My favorite thing about it is the lid lift..
We all have our hands full when cooking.. some of the older stuff required two hamds to lift the lid..

Summit lid, opens one handed with minimal effort.. think a 3 year old could do it.

For those complaining about the price, buy a used one.. I did. Saved over 50%.

Weber did a great job with these. Green eggs, Kamados, sales will go down when the word gets out about the Summit
How are those GBS accessories working out for you? I'm really torn between those or the half moon accessories that KJ and BGE have. Having used the GBS accessories would you think the half moon set ups are better?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

au4stree

• WKC Brave
« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2019, 09:22:50 AM »
Guys, if you know any one on the fence about a Summit, please forward then to me, I've got a situation that requires me selling it. I have it listed on the for sale page of this site. Asking $1500
Piggs McGee BBQ
"We're kind of a big deal"

jp217p

• WKC Brave
« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2019, 09:25:44 AM »
Guys, if you know any one on the fence about a Summit, please forward then to me, I've got a situation that requires me selling it. I have it listed on the for sale page of this site. Asking $1500
I'm sent

Sent from my SM-N960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kabeyun

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2019, 11:59:31 AM »
Bumping the old thread I guess. I decided to buy a 26” and arm it with a Slow n Sear.  Not the same, sure, but I’ll get magnificent pulled pork for ⅓ the price of a Summit.  I’ll find a teak table from which I can cut a semicircle out of one end, and snug it up as a prep table. Should be fine until we build our outdoor kitchen. And then I’ll still use it. Heh.

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2019, 06:24:21 AM »
Since this thread was brought back to the top, I've had my Summit for around 2 months.  So far I've had to have the lid handle replaced, gone through 2 Rapidfire vents and a new stainless table.  Weber has been great about sending parts, so I have no complaints there.  I will be ordering another charcoal grate soon.

I use mine a lot.  I added a BBQ Guru and just received the Summit cookbook yesterday (I didn't know they would be sending one).  Since getting it, I've only used the gasser once, and haven't touched my other kettles.  Already done quite a few ribs and just did my first brisket a couple weeks ago.  Smash burgers at least once a week, and I have made some great chicken too.  My favorite lump on this grill has been Jealous Devil and I've been going through quite a bit of Kingsford blue too.

However, if I knew then what I know now, I'm not sure I'd buy it.  You can see where they cut corners, and at this price point that's unacceptable.  I cannot stand the charcoal basket scraping across the painted shelf, the sliding basket should be on bearing slides and it should have come with a built-in temperature controller, a high-end cover, a charcoal tool and a grate tool.  Weber should offer owners a $750 rebate, or $750 worth of accessories, IMO.