Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: post 3  (Read 2368 times)

JDD

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Kettle Covers
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 08:42:55 AM »
I've had nothing but trouble with covers and decided to quit using them. Too windy around here and my covers kept blowing away. When I got tired of losing covers I started to secure then with bunji cord. That did not work out too well for me since the wind got under the covers and carried a couple nice kettles off the deck.  That was the last straw because it did result in some porcelain damage.  I've been topless ever since. I'm starting to think covers may do more harm than not,  I've noticed that covers seem to hold moisture inside and on the kettle which could cause some premature rust?
May The Smoke Be With You!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 09:22:54 AM »
I haven't had the moisture issue with the newer Weber covers... yet. Been using them for prolly 2 or more years... so far, so good. 8)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 10:29:53 AM »
I've had nothing but trouble with covers and decided to quit using them. Too windy around here and my covers kept blowing away. When I got tired of losing covers I started to secure then with bunji cord. That did not work out too well for me since the wind got under the covers and carried a couple nice kettles off the deck.  That was the last straw because it did result in some porcelain damage.  I've been topless ever since. I'm starting to think covers may do more harm than not,  I've noticed that covers seem to hold moisture inside and on the kettle which could cause some premature rust?

Ouch. Sorry to hear about that damage. I think the cover that @SteveJ has is the Classic Accessories one and it comes with built in buckles to secure to the grill and a covered air vent so it doesn't act like a parachute. I picked some one and only just started using it so no battle tested feedback yet, but they feel nice and sturdy! It often goes on sale for less than $10 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HCNEX6
Also briefly discussed in this thread http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/kettle-grill-covers-classic-accessories-73422-veranda-kettle-style-barbecue
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

j-hook-evets

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 06:41:22 AM »
I use some org. black covers but
mostly selfmade covers in the color of the grill.

Wow the color on both the Kettle and the cover is awesome.  Good stuff.  Thanks for sharing.

j-hook-evets

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 06:43:04 AM »

I haven't had any issues with moisture...before closing out a smoking/grilling session, you might want to ensure that the coals are completely extinguished, and any leftover ashes are cleaned out.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 11:13:42 AM »
@Jan M. can your covers be made on a home sewing machine? And if so, do you have a pattern you'd be willing to share?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 12:29:21 PM »
I'm in the UK and with the state of the weather this side the Weber ones both the standard (Atrocious) and premium (Alot better but it gets brittle over time), unlike the kettles they just didn't cut the mustard. 

I've slowly been moving across to the Classic Accessories covers over the years and can say they are a quality made cover.

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 01:24:37 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke
PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Best regards,
Jan

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2018, 02:20:42 PM »
I cover my grills with my shed. I don’t have any wind problems that way.