Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beautiful beaten birth-year brown bbq  (Read 1242 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Beautiful beaten birth-year brown bbq
« on: January 30, 2018, 06:28:21 PM »
After seeing the post here about a brown J code in my area I ended up contacting the seller who turned out to be @Peaspurple . I dont particularly care for brown, but it is a birth year and a not black and people here seem to really love the browns so weberitis got the best of me ::) Peaspurple was kind enough to pack up the grill bring it with him during this weekend activities and I was able to meet at one of his stops, which saved me 2 hours total travel time with a baby in tow. A real grate guy!

I didn't have very much time to clean it up so I did a quick assessment. The ash sweeps are rusted frozen, also no fins but that's okay since I'll be replacing the whole thing. I tried using PB Blaster but it didn't budge. I'll keep trying as I've read it can take a few days. I haven't done a deep clean of a kettle before so I read the WKC page on it and tried using a razor blade to scrape the inside of the lid but not much came off. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? Any tips would be much appreciated :) Also is there anything I should be doing to protect to worn out spots on the outside to make sure it doesn't rust through? I probably won't be able to get it to for another few weeks. After cleaning it up I need to get a replacement ash pan or catcher, and eventually some sweet zav handles then cook on it! Peaspurple said he never fired it up so I definitely plan to do so and post about it.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 06:31:24 PM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Beautiful beaten birth-year brown bbq
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 07:17:21 PM »
You call that "beaten?"

I call it "seasoned."

;)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:01:12 PM »
You call that "beaten?"

I call it "seasoned."

;)
I just needed another word that begins with B lol plus beaten is only qualitative and not quantitative [emoji4]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:17:55 PM »
qualitative, quantitative, who cares what it tastes like, THAT'LL clean up SWEET!!!  Nice score!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 09:21:03 PM »
No pro here by any means, but I like to add warm water and dish soap when I’m cleaning kettles. I believe @jeff mentioned that before in another thread. Scrape what You can and use the 0000 steel wool along with the soapy water and that seems to work. Some are caked on more than others. Just takes time.
Most sweeps will break free as you’re doing now. The last one I did, I ended up using a cut off wheel and carefully removing it. Sucker wouldn’t come apart for nothing before that.
Your chips/rust spots can simply be cleaned with the 0000 to remove any “scale” and then dab on some cooking oil when you heat her up.
Great looking brownie guys and great teamwork. Two thumbs up all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 04:13:13 AM »
Congrats on your BY kettle. Brownies are the bomb!
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 05:49:41 AM »
After days of PB Blaster the ash sweep assembly wasn't loosening up at all. I ended up using a Dremel to cut off the arm and was able to knock it out at that point. Haven't given her a deep clean yet but now the only thing standing in my way is time!

Also, I realized this is a rocking J kettle [emoji23]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 06:13:29 AM »
Nice work guys!  I hooked up @kettlebb with his birth year brownie this week.  I love the browns, and am working on an 18 right now.  Personally, I use a sharpened paint scraper.  Use some elbow grease, and the crud will disappear. Troy's video on You-tube was what educated me on kettle cleaning.

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 08:19:03 AM »
I tend to run a hot full chimney full through a kettle prior to cleaning allow to cool/rest over night and rinse out well with the hose using an aggressive sprayer... I then go in with a razor scraper and find the creosote and baked on grease easier to remove. Congrats on the birthyear kettle. Love me a brownie.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app