Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber's iGrill 2 Review  (Read 3377 times)

DJTOBY

• Smokey Joe
Weber's iGrill 2 Review
« on: January 06, 2018, 04:48:32 PM »
Let me begin by saying that I never had the opportunity to use the old app so I can't compare it to the current version. I purchased mine in November of 2017 for $80 on Amazon. After using it for a few months, I found that a product review was needed for those interested in purchasing this. At the time, I was looking at the iGrill 2, iGrill 3 and the Thermopro-07/08.

Out of the box, the unit comes with the basics to BBQ and grill. This included 2-tempurature probes, the unit, and other trinkets (e.g. sleeves to change the probe colors, a metal piece to adhere it a non-metalic surface etc.). The one thing I felt it lacked was the ambient probe. It was an easy fix, since I ordered the iGrill2 from Amazon, I also ordered the ambient probe for about $14 extra dollars.  In my opinion I felt that the unit should have came with one meat probe and an ambient probe as well (total of two) rather than just two meat probes.

When my unit arrived, my first cook was a whole chicken. i used the units presets to alert me when it was done. It worked great and was easy to set. I have put this unit to the test, BBQing at least 3 times a week. Over the past 2 months, I have used it for various cuts of meat. This includes, whole chicken, chicken quarters, chicken legs, beef steaks (various cuts), pork and beef ribs, pork butt and brisket to name a few.

As a personal preference, I found that I occasionally use the pre-set temperatures and instead set the alerts to my liking. This is just because I noticed some of the preset temperatures were at a different temperature than my personal likings or that I wanted to pull the meat off prior to the preset to wrap or sauce. The presets give no option to setup this type of timer.

The ambient probe is really good. It comes with a grill grate holder that it mounts in. It then lays about level with the meat you're cooking to monitor the meat. The other probes do what you want them to do as well (monitor the internal temperature). With two meat probes, I'm able to monitor two separate chunks of meat on the grill or (on a large piece) place them on both sides of the meat to ensure even cooking. As for the unit, it is very basic and can work without a phone (or other bluetooth device connected to it). If you don't want to use it with a phone or other device, you're limited to setting temps for each probe only. You also can also monitor each probes temperature from the iGrill device as well.

Now, I'll talk a little about the app. Again, I've only used the current (as of this review) version of the app. I can't see a way to show what version my app is. It is very basic and as another member mentioned, it appears that it was designed by someone not into cooking/BBQing/Grilling. There are many features that I think the app could use to make it much more tailored to each user's need.

One thing I would like to see in later features is the ability to 'modify' the preset temperatures. Another modification would be to add a search feature on the presets. As it is now, you need to choose the 'type' of meat you're cooking, then scroll through the alphabetical order list. One 'smart' feature that I think would be nice to add is for the app to notice a fast drop of temperatures (e.g. from 245 degrees to a fast drop to 110 degrees within seconds). This would be useful when you need to lift the lid and mop your meat or add some fuel (charcoal) to the grill and not want to have your app start beeping at you to warn you the temperature is too low. I know there are other additions that the app could use, but these are just my thoughts for now.

Overall, if you're considering getting this Weber iGrill2 to add to your tools, I would recommend it. I would say that there are other probes and devices that do the same for less. Some are bluetooth and some are not. If you want to stick with the Weber brand, like I did, then go for it. I paid $80 (on sale from Amazon) for the unit and another $14 for the extra ambient probe.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Weber's iGrill 2 Review
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 09:35:15 AM »
I have an iGrill2 and it is definitely a decent device. The biggest issue is that it uses Bluetooth instead of WiFi and the range is frustratingly limited around the house.

I did have an opportunity to use the older app for a while before Weber completely rewrote it recently and then issued several updates. The older app did worked well and was probably a simpler app. The new app was buggy at first but after a couple of updates, it seems to work a lot better.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 12:25:54 PM »
I have an iGrill2 and it is definitely a decent device. The biggest issue is that it uses Bluetooth instead of WiFi and the range is frustratingly limited around the house.

I did have an opportunity to use the older app for a while before Weber completely rewrote it recently and then issued several updates. The older app did worked well and was probably a simpler app. The new app was buggy at first but after a couple of updates, it seems to work a lot better.
Do you use an Android device or Apple?

I have a link to the old app for Android. It works great.👍
Version 3.2.2

Download Weber® iGrill® Apk 3.2.2 - Free For Android | apkpureapk.com
http://apkpureapk.com/down_Download_Weber-iGrill_Apk.html
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:29:41 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 03:17:56 PM »
Yeah, that's the app. I have a droid so will try that. Thanks for the link.

I like that old one a lot better.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 03:52:34 PM »
Just be sure to bookmark it in case you accidentally update it.
Also I found out you can have more than one device in the old app. Here's a screenshot from running my I devices kitchen thermometer and igrill 2 at the same time.

Haven't cooked with it that way but I'm sure it would work.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 09:13:45 PM »
link not working....

This site can’t be reached
apkpureapk.com’s server IP address could not be found.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 02:05:12 AM »
Damn.
I'll see if I can find it somewhere else.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 10:26:00 AM »
I have the pre-Weber version of this, and the Bluetooth range is maddening.  I can't get more than 25 feet away and it disconnects.  Hopefully they will come up with a wifi interface instead.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 07:33:19 AM »
I have the pre-Weber version of this, and the Bluetooth range is maddening.  I can't get more than 25 feet away and it disconnects.  Hopefully they will come up with a wifi interface instead.

The Weber branded one is no better.

If Weber were to change that to WiFi, that would be great but at the same time not too helpful for those of us with the Bluetooth models.

the Tamale Kid

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 08:12:50 AM »
To summarize, I highly recommend the Weber iGrill 2; it’s the best in it’s class of Bluetooth wireless thermometers. The developers are continually listening to us and are applying these enhancements to the app; making the iGrill better and better with each new version of the app they release. My full review below...

I purchased the Weber iGrill 2 from Ace Hardware for $60 and the additional ambient probe for $15 from Amazon. While researching, I was so close to saving up for a wifi device that would allow me to monitor my cook remotely from anywhere with Internet access (Fireboard, Tappecue, Smoke w/Gateway...in that order). But price and the fear of losing Cloud functionality if any of these businesses ever folded or stopped supporting a device kept me from pulling the trigger; as these devices are nearly 3 times the price of an iGrill !!! So I went with Weber’s iGrill 2. I have iPhone iOS 11, iGrill firmware version 1.4, app version 4.3.9 and Panasonic Eneloop rechargeable AA batteries.

All 3 probes passed the “boiling water test” with flying colors and had matching temps. Although all 3 were 1° under what registered on my Thermapen. But shoot, I’ll take that range of variance all day long!

I tested the iGrill by doing some pulled pork with a bone in picnic cut on the 18.5” Weber Smokey Mountain. I used the ambient probe clipped on the grate and the 2 food probes in opposite sides of the picnic roast. Switching the colored probe collars was not an easy task, but other than that setup/pairing was super simple and intuitive. I created a custom ambient probe range, but used Weber’s presets for pulled pork doneness at 190° on both food probes. The app is fairly simplistic, and there are not a lot of bells and whistle‘s. I was mostly interested in logging the times and temperatures of my cook using the built-in graphing tool. I really like how you can use the graphing dashboard to view all four probes on one screen, or analyze each probe separately. Although each screen only has approx 2 1/2 hours of activity; you have to go to each probe, zoom out, and scroll back to see earlier cook data. I would’ve liked to have been able to see my entire cook plotted on one screen to allow me to see trends and anomalies within the app itself. But Weber provides a data export function that allows you to export each probe’s data by minute via email in a csv file format. So you can import your data into Excel, Tableau, etc. and create your own graphs. Your data is not saved, so unless you export it, you’ll lose it. I didn’t have any connectivity issues whatsoever with Bluetooth during the cook. Whatever enhancements they made to the app, appears to have resolved connectivity issues experienced in earlier releases. I did have to leave the house once and as expected I lost connectivity and it disconnected the device. I got a little nervous because I initially thought I may have lost all of my data when it disconnected. However, once I returned home, it automatically reconnected and resumed without losing any previously logged data! The app handles missing data by representing it with a dotted line on the graph. It was a 14 hour cook and it used 20% of my batteries. And this was with the transmitter screen turned on the entire time! I set the “Keep Screen On” option to OFF, but for some reason the transmitter screen stayed on anyway. I used the built-in Timer to notify me when it was time to spritz with apple juice. Because of limited alarm customizations, I nearly jumped out of my skin when the timer went off. It sounds like an old school alarm clock...the ones with a hammer between two bells; good gravy! I definitely couldn’t have slept through that. The temp alarms weren’t as jarring, and I liked the Dismiss (alarm off) banners that allow you to deactivate alarms from anywhere on your phone, even if the phone was asleep. And after you dismiss the alarm, it takes you to the app. You have to clean the probes using a moist cloth and mild detergent. The probes are not submersible and cannot go in the dishwasher or you’ll break them. To be safe, and to minimize cleanup, I wrapped a little foil around the area where the metal probe meets the wiring; which made cleanup very easy. I hope Weber makes a carrying/storage case for the iGrill and accessories. I know there is a company that already makes a case for the iGrill, but I want one made by Weber with Weber branding ;-)

Below are my recommendations for app enhancements:

- Ability to Rename  probes
- Ability to type in Temperature and Timer values instead of having to use the dial interface
- Timer should  have ability to  set timer for seconds. When searing meats, seconds matter
- Add a Search function for “Select Cut” in “What Are You Grilling?” during cook setup.
- Add images for each food item in “Select Cut” in “What Are You Grilling?” during cook setup. I don’t know what an  “Ambassador Steak“ looks like.
- add illustrations or short video describing proper probe placement for the different types of foods as well as the ambient grill probe and how to avoid pitfalls associated with improper placement
- On the “Let’s Grill!” screen of the app, when the “Start Grilling” or “Presets” button is selected an informational popup would tell us approximately how many hours/mins of battery life we have until needing replacement. That way we don’t embark on a 14 hour cook if we only have 3 hours of battery life left and won’t lose data/settings while changing batteries mid-cook. And knowing how many hours we have left on our batteries, we can determine if we want to set the iGrill screen to be always on or not
- Place a Battery meter on “Temperature”, “Timer”, and “More” screens
- Allow us to type in how many degrees before food probe reaches target temperature instead of the 10° default. During a stall, that final 10° could turn into a couple hours

- Connection Lost Alarm
- Audible Notification when Reconnected
- Low Battery Alarm

More Alarm Options
- Notification Banner with  audible/vibrate options on phone
- Alarm Sound options (alarm sounds to choose from)
- Alarm Vibrate options
- “Food/Grill Maintenance Mode” Button that toggles Pause/Resume all alarms for Ambient probes during cook. This allows additional fuel/smoke wood to be added to fire, baste/sauce food, etc without triggering low grill temperature alarms

- add “Check for Updates” feature in the App
Hunting for Lime, Blue Wave, Yellow, Red, Ivory, & Blue kettles

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 08:21:56 PM »
Wow T.K.! That is an impressive write up! You just saved Weber thousands of dollars in setting up a qualified focus group and objective feedback loop!  Least they could do is spot you a new updated setup when it comes out!

Again, great write up! Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Puto.  Yes, it means what you think it means.

To summarize, I highly recommend the Weber iGrill 2; it’s the best in it’s class of Bluetooth wireless thermometers. The developers are continually listening to us and are applying these enhancements to the app; making the iGrill better and better with each new version of the app they release. My full review below...

I purchased the Weber iGrill 2 from Ace Hardware for $60 and the additional ambient probe for $15 from Amazon. While researching, I was so close to saving up for a wifi device that would allow me to monitor my cook remotely from anywhere with Internet access (Fireboard, Tappecue, Smoke w/Gateway...in that order). But price and the fear of losing Cloud functionality if any of these businesses ever folded or stopped supporting a device kept me from pulling the trigger; as these devices are nearly 3 times the price of an iGrill !!! So I went with Weber’s iGrill 2. I have iPhone iOS 11, iGrill firmware version 1.4, app version 4.3.9 and Panasonic Eneloop rechargeable AA batteries.

All 3 probes passed the “boiling water test” with flying colors and had matching temps. Although all 3 were 1° under what registered on my Thermapen. But shoot, I’ll take that range of variance all day long!

I tested the iGrill by doing some pulled pork with a bone in picnic cut on the 18.5” Weber Smokey Mountain. I used the ambient probe clipped on the grate and the 2 food probes in opposite sides of the picnic roast. Switching the colored probe collars was not an easy task, but other than that setup/pairing was super simple and intuitive. I created a custom ambient probe range, but used Weber’s presets for pulled pork doneness at 190° on both food probes. The app is fairly simplistic, and there are not a lot of bells and whistle‘s. I was mostly interested in logging the times and temperatures of my cook using the built-in graphing tool. I really like how you can use the graphing dashboard to view all four probes on one screen, or analyze each probe separately. Although each screen only has approx 2 1/2 hours of activity; you have to go to each probe, zoom out, and scroll back to see earlier cook data. I would’ve liked to have been able to see my entire cook plotted on one screen to allow me to see trends and anomalies within the app itself. But Weber provides a data export function that allows you to export each probe’s data by minute via email in a csv file format. So you can import your data into Excel, Tableau, etc. and create your own graphs. Your data is not saved, so unless you export it, you’ll lose it. I didn’t have any connectivity issues whatsoever with Bluetooth during the cook. Whatever enhancements they made to the app, appears to have resolved connectivity issues experienced in earlier releases. I did have to leave the house once and as expected I lost connectivity and it disconnected the device. I got a little nervous because I initially thought I may have lost all of my data when it disconnected. However, once I returned home, it automatically reconnected and resumed without losing any previously logged data! The app handles missing data by representing it with a dotted line on the graph. It was a 14 hour cook and it used 20% of my batteries. And this was with the transmitter screen turned on the entire time! I set the “Keep Screen On” option to OFF, but for some reason the transmitter screen stayed on anyway. I used the built-in Timer to notify me when it was time to spritz with apple juice. Because of limited alarm customizations, I nearly jumped out of my skin when the timer went off. It sounds like an old school alarm clock...the ones with a hammer between two bells; good gravy! I definitely couldn’t have slept through that. The temp alarms weren’t as jarring, and I liked the Dismiss (alarm off) banners that allow you to deactivate alarms from anywhere on your phone, even if the phone was asleep. And after you dismiss the alarm, it takes you to the app. You have to clean the probes using a moist cloth and mild detergent. The probes are not submersible and cannot go in the dishwasher or you’ll break them. To be safe, and to minimize cleanup, I wrapped a little foil around the area where the metal probe meets the wiring; which made cleanup very easy. I hope Weber makes a carrying/storage case for the iGrill and accessories. I know there is a company that already makes a case for the iGrill, but I want one made by Weber with Weber branding ;-)

Below are my recommendations for app enhancements:

- Ability to Rename  probes
- Ability to type in Temperature and Timer values instead of having to use the dial interface
- Timer should  have ability to  set timer for seconds. When searing meats, seconds matter
- Add a Search function for “Select Cut” in “What Are You Grilling?” during cook setup.
- Add images for each food item in “Select Cut” in “What Are You Grilling?” during cook setup. I don’t know what an  “Ambassador Steak“ looks like.
- add illustrations or short video describing proper probe placement for the different types of foods as well as the ambient grill probe and how to avoid pitfalls associated with improper placement
- On the “Let’s Grill!” screen of the app, when the “Start Grilling” or “Presets” button is selected an informational popup would tell us approximately how many hours/mins of battery life we have until needing replacement. That way we don’t embark on a 14 hour cook if we only have 3 hours of battery life left and won’t lose data/settings while changing batteries mid-cook. And knowing how many hours we have left on our batteries, we can determine if we want to set the iGrill screen to be always on or not
- Place a Battery meter on “Temperature”, “Timer”, and “More” screens
- Allow us to type in how many degrees before food probe reaches target temperature instead of the 10° default. During a stall, that final 10° could turn into a couple hours

- Connection Lost Alarm
- Audible Notification when Reconnected
- Low Battery Alarm

More Alarm Options
- Notification Banner with  audible/vibrate options on phone
- Alarm Sound options (alarm sounds to choose from)
- Alarm Vibrate options
- “Food/Grill Maintenance Mode” Button that toggles Pause/Resume all alarms for Ambient probes during cook. This allows additional fuel/smoke wood to be added to fire, baste/sauce food, etc without triggering low grill temperature alarms

- add “Check for Updates” feature in the App