Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another cheese smoke  (Read 3166 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Another cheese smoke
« on: January 05, 2018, 04:01:31 PM »
I used the gas assist to fire up some apple wood I had. They were chunks and finally fizzled out after an hour. I put some hickory chips in and relit for the second hour. One was a habanero pepper cheese and the other some sort of cheddar. I used all wood taking advantage of the cold weather.  I couldn’t resist and took a couple bites and understand why they need to chill a bit. They are very smokey. I think these will be good.
First cheese smoke so who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Another cheese smoke
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 04:20:02 PM »
So all together it went about 2 hours? How long will you let them sit in the bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 04:23:39 PM »

So all together it went about 2 hours? How long will you let them sit in the bag?

Yes. About 2 hours. I’m a little concerned by the color. Looks a little different from what I’ve seen. My temp was all over the place so who knows. I plan to wait a couple weeks but that’s going to be tough lol.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 04:26:48 PM »
I actually thought it had a nice color to it. Mike @mikerocksthered had sent me some cheese he smoked last year. I remember having a look like that too. He had some that he smoked for a couple hours and others that went upwards of 4. I liked the shorter smoked one. They definitely get unique flavors with them.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 04:59:29 AM »
I smoke cheese for only about one hour...I get very little color and just the right smoke flavor that I can still enjoy the cheese flavor...But I seem to be the only one that goes for less than two hours...

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 05:00:51 AM »
Yeah I think it look great too!
All these cheese smokes really have me want to try this out. I don't have a vacuum sealer though, can you store it for the weeks needed without one?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 05:08:15 AM »

I smoke cheese for only about one hour...I get very little color and just the right smoke flavor that I can still enjoy the cheese flavor...But I seem to be the only one that goes for less than two hours...

I will probably go one hour next time. After one hour, it looked like they had enough smoke and the color was perfect. To be fair, I did run a little hot the second hour so not sure how that will affect it. They never came close to melting.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Another cheese smoke
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 05:09:51 AM »
All these cheese smokes really have me want to try this out. I don't have a vacuum sealer though, can you store it for the weeks needed without one?

I’m sure you could use Saran Wrap or a ziplock

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 06:46:09 AM »
What temp are you trying to maintain?

Holy Grails: anything 1970

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 07:45:21 AM »
What temp are you trying to maintain?

Holy Grails: anything 1970

I came here to ask this.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 08:02:35 AM »

Pm sent
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 08:05:12 AM »
I don’t know but I’ve read on here to keep temp under 90 to keep cheese from melting so that’s what I was shooting for.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 08:17:49 AM »

Pm sent
Hot damn the members of this place!!!
Especially Dan [emoji3]

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 10:19:40 AM »

Yes you can wrap it tight in cling wrap and then bag it...As long as there is no air in the wrap it will last a long time...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 11:13:27 AM »
So I was too impatient and had to try the cheese. Glad I did. I’ve learned a few things. It did work and tastes good but I will change a couple things. I started with apple and threw a handful of hickory chips later. Hickory is too strong for my taste.  Also, cheese smoking is a delicate process and I was a little arrogant in that I Rambo’d it my own way and should have used some of the more established ways for smoking. Having my temp too high at times caused the cheese to sweat which caused the oils of the cheese to be in the surface and combine with the smoke for an unpleasant flavor.

Luckily most of the unpleasant smoke laden oil stuck to the vac bags and I’ve resealed in new. The habanero cheddar is incredible smoked or not.

So the moral of the story is cheese smoking requires attention to detail. Do not drink a six pack and start chucking cheese on the smoker. This way works but will lack a certain quality in the end product. Luckily they turned out pretty good but my next time will be better.

I was also cooking wings and making Mac and cheese at the same time so I was fairly busy.