Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help, someone please talk me out of a 26" that I don't need.  (Read 2761 times)

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
Help, someone please talk me out of a 26" that I don't need.
« on: November 06, 2017, 04:58:02 PM »
There is a 26" kettle at the local hardware store where I find myself at least three times a week. I can't stop looking at it and admiring all of that grill real estate especially for indirect. I am not sure that i can avoid adding one to the collection. Already have a Performer 22 and WSM 22 but I am still really wanting a 26, especially with the stainless grate and no GBS.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Help, someone please talk me out of a 26" that I don't need.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 05:01:56 PM »
Sorry but no, you should get it or wait till a cheaper one shows up on CL. I’m saying this and I don’t even have one yet but after two years of grilling, roasting, and smoking I absolutely need one in my lineup and I’d vote that everyone should have a 26er. Hell I’d probably dump all my 22s (except the Gray) and just use a couple of 18s and a 26er.

Sorry to be an enabler but I think you’d put it to good use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 05:15:29 PM »
You're in the wrong place if you're looking for someone to talk you out of buying another Weber. But then again, I think you know that. ;-)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 05:30:16 PM »
If you don’t have a 26” in your lineup, you should get it. They don’t pop up very often on the selling sites. You’ll love the extra real estate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 05:42:09 PM »
I'll help you out.

I have a 26 but usually do 2 only foods at once outdoors, a protein and veg or potatoes and so a 22 is enough. I have yet to fire up this 26. I've used the other, flat top one I maintain at my dad's house.

I'm actually holding out for an SnS or the poor man's home-made version before I get started, since the regular charcoal baskets get LOST in a 26.

On the other hand, my 3rd part of dinner usually involves the stove inside the kitchen, so yeah you should get the 26.

Hell I’d probably dump all my 22s (except the Gray) and just use a couple of 18s and a 26er.

This is the dirty little secret of Weber grilling: An 18 is just so right-sized for many specific tasks, whereas a 22 can often be too damn cramped. At $100 more than a Master-Touch, the 26 gives you the extra expanse you can use, without the GBS and warming rack you don't really need (and I have both accessories, and LIKE them ... ), and with an SS grate.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Meathook

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 08:01:00 PM »
You'll shoot your eye out!!!!

Malo83

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 10:32:29 PM »
Have three 22's that have been collecting dust since I got my 26er, once you get it home you'll ask yourself why you waited so long.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 03:58:58 AM »
You're in the wrong place if you're looking for someone to talk you out of buying another Weber. But then again, I think you know that. ;-)

What he said
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 06:15:29 AM »

What he said

Exactly   ;)
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 06:22:44 AM »
I designed the dang thing and I don't even have one... GET IT!

What I really do like is the odd mix of techniques... I can use an 18 WSM and smoke, I can grill on my 22s -but there is something unique and of course flavorful -uniquely different when going indirect, smoking and all that on a kettle.  Lots of real estate on a 26.   DO IT!
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

KettleKing

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 06:32:02 AM »
Agree with everyone grab the 26 i just got one on CL brand new never used but they dont seem to pop up used

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 07:15:26 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yeah, i knew posting this would be like kicking a hornets nest while not wanting to get stung.

I read somewhere, probably here, that some folks end up using it more often than their 22's (when they own both). I could see using it as my primary grill too and even casting the WSM 22 aside for some cooks that i mgiht have otherwise done on the WSM. That's the problem.  :)

Sorry folks, if there is a camp that feels the S&S is over rated and over marketed for what it is, I am in that camp. I will eventually just get some fire bricks - mind you, this is coming from someone who would put sand in the water tank of a S&S anyway). But yeah, thanks for pointing out that the 22 baskets would be lost in a 26. I did notice that but at the same time, it would be great for slow cooks. Not as good for a reverse sear.

I was actually hoping that someone might chime in to make a case to skip the 26 and keep saving for that Summit charcoal.  ;)  The hardware store has one of those too.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 07:33:08 AM »

Always nice to have the option of choosing between a 26", 22" and 18" to use.  Nightly, I am cooking for just my wife so the 22" is my most used. There is enough space to cook a protein, potato and vegetable.  If just cooking something like steaks, links, salmon or pork chops alone, the 18" gets the call. If you have more than two people in your household, then the extra real estate on a 26" will probably be more useful. I use my 26" when cooking for four to six people. When numbers climb above that I use multiple kettles of different sizes depending on appetizers, proteins and deserts that need to be cooked.  The little 18"ers are great for cooking deserts in cast iron pans.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:16:21 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 08:48:10 AM »
It sounds like the latest version of the 26 is the better choice? Yeah, my performer 22 is the most often used. Sometimes I break out the GAC with Craycort grates when am at home and just want to sear a couple of steaks in a hurry.

I do like the idea of getting multiple kettles going to cook different components of the same cook. I also have a feeling that i would end up using the 26 a lot more for low and slow, leaving the WSM mostly unused. 

The other thing, as long as i have been using Weber grills, i don't think i have seen a 26 in person before. That was the hook - actually standing in front of it.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 09:15:09 AM »
I use my 26.75” for 99% of my grilling cooks (and WSM’s for smoking). I only use a 22” kettle for cookouts.

Hope that helps. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app