Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help, someone please talk me out of a 26" that I don't need.  (Read 2758 times)

Cellar2ful

Re: Help, someone please talk me out of a 26" that I don't need.
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 09:27:20 AM »

I have a "taco" handle 26" and a vintage Chief.  I am continually fighting the rust issues on the Chief's cooking grate. Having the SS cooking grate on the newer model makes grate rust a non issue. You mentioned you will probably end up using a 26" for more low and slow cooking.  Although I do not do much low and slow cooking, most comments I have seen from members is the three wheel vents of the vintage 26ers  is much better for low and slow heat control.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Malo83

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 10:05:25 AM »
Have three 22's that have been collecting dust since I got my 26er, once you get it home you'll ask yourself why you waited so long.

[attachment deleted by admin]

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 11:02:54 AM »
I will echo the above advice. If I could only own one grill it would be my 26.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 12:10:23 PM »
^^^^^ What he (and others) said ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »
Okay, i'm headed to the hardware store now to go look at it and open that lid again.

Probably it will be deferred to the Christmas list, just in time to make a new year's cook. We'll see how long i can hold out.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 12:55:02 PM »
Don’t buy it unless 8/10 times you grill, you find yourself having to constantly move stuff around to accommodate your cooks.

I’m a big advocate of “Don’t buy it if you don’t need it” and this definitely applies to items at full price!

I’d love a 26er but I’d only be able to justify it if I found one for $50 on Craigslist. And even then, I’d probably still skip it since I don’t need it and I don’t want it to take up space in my shed or garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 02:19:49 PM »
Don’t buy it unless 8/10 times you grill, you find yourself having to constantly move stuff around to accommodate your cooks.

I’m a big advocate of “Don’t buy it if you don’t need it” and this definitely applies to items at full price!

I’d love a 26er but I’d only be able to justify it if I found one for $50 on Craigslist. And even then, I’d probably still skip it since I don’t need it and I don’t want it to take up space in my shed or garage.

I often have to move stuff around and/or cook part of dinner in the kitchen, unless it can be done directly over the coals. That 363 cu. in of space on a 22 isn't normally all cooking space. This is a big reason why gas grills are popular, even if cooking direct, you can easily turn down the flame in that area and have relatively few flareups. Even a 2-burner Spirit has a lot of usable room.

I can always light more charcoal and use another kettle that will have to be additionally be maintained, cleaned out etc. ... but I usually don't, out of convenience.

Interestingly, a '90s flat top 26er can be one of the more affordable used kettles available. The issue there is practicality, since both grates are not only different from the current 26's, but also frustratingly discontinued.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 02:32:42 PM »
I love my 73 Fleetwood.
Makes me want to smoke a few racks of ribs just uttering it's name.
Hold out for a used one.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 02:36:58 PM »

I love my 73 Fleetwood.
Makes me want to smoke a few racks of ribs just uttering it's name.
Hold out for a used one.
Sage advice.

bigredmf

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 03:45:44 PM »
What's better than one 26er?

Two 26er's

Red

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2017, 05:11:28 PM »
@Kneab, did you say something about three racks of ribs on a Fleetwood? (plus a little something for the doggies)

KettleKing

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 07:09:38 PM »
26er is Boss Status do it!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2017, 07:25:43 PM »
I'm a diehard performer guy and didnt have a 26" for the longest time. That all changed when I procured one though. the 26 is an awesome size. it's extremely comfortabl to cook on. 2 22's off CL is a better value $$$ wise but cooking on a 26r (or ranch) is something else. I still end up using the performer table but grill more on the 26r. Good luck
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2017, 07:31:06 PM »
I was in the SnS no buy camp personally. Then a 26er popped up used with the sns so I jumped on it.  I really like it on the 26er, it does a grate job of keeping the heat in a condensed area and allowing you to maximize the grill space.  But if it didn't come with the sns I would totally make the big basket mod and go with it.  The picture is of a massive pork Loin nearly covering the whole length of the 26er.  The second is 4 burgers and a 10in cast iron pan.  The space comes in handy if you are always looking for more than a 22 offers. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Spen1818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2017, 07:39:30 PM »
I had a 22” Performer I bought new with gas assist, I sold that and got a used 26 mini ranch that was built by another member here and he sold only because he got the Summit Charcoal.  At my cabin I have an old 3 wheel 22” that I am constantly filling to the brim or starting the gas grill to accommodate all the food (we often times have 10plus people).  So, I got the 26’r for home and LOVE IT. I’m looking for a used one to pop up for cheap for the cabin to replace the 22”.  Personally, the 22 is too small to host and two big for two people.  A 26 and a Smokey Joe 18 would be the perfect combo.  At home I have a E310 Special Edition Genesis, a Q2200 with stand for travel (worked great at deer camp) and a 26 mini ranch.  At the cabin I have a 22 three wheel and a Brinkmann 3burner gasser.   Sorry for the rant, buy the damn 26 and move on :)