Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Side burner question.  (Read 2184 times)

RumBar

• WKC Brave
Side burner question.
« on: October 27, 2017, 06:25:29 PM »
I just picked a green Silver with a side burner, it was too clean and too cheap to pass up. This is mainly going to be for my wife and I’m going to get one of the Cabelas griddle inserts for grilling up smash burgers and breakfast foods.
My question is what should the flame on the side burner look like? It thought it’d be more blue and shorter. The first pic is on high and the second is on low.
Can someone guide me down the gasser path?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Side burner question.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 07:26:06 PM »
Is that at your work or house?  Looks like some cool tools back there.

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 07:32:19 PM »
I wish! It's my brothers toy barn, he has all the cool stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 07:57:13 PM »
Heck of a chimney starter!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 11:33:32 AM »
Your air fuel mix is out of whack. I had one a went through earlier this year but never did get it figured out. I knew something was up as someone had tin foil around the mixer

I'm along for the ride maybe we can get an answer together

2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 11:44:23 AM »
nitis is bang on re: the mixer - and that tin-foil may have actually been the cause in his case. I've seen people use tin foil or metal ducting tape to partly seal over the mixer in order to get a larger flame. Check to see if anything looks out of place, and if not try removing the burner completely and cleaning out the inside of the tube.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »
So is the mixer part of the burner, it's tube (inlet area?), or something else?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 02:47:56 PM »
It's right where the orofice goes into the tube if I recall

They can be minimally adjusted

2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 05:58:30 PM »
Mine has some black snap on perforated protective caps over each orifice, I thought they were to keep bugs and debris out but they may be restricting air flow. I'll take them off and give it a try then. 

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 07:34:23 PM »
Those are the spider screens. So long as they aren't caked with dirt, you should have plenty of airflow; it's part of the design. In fact, you have PLENTY of air and fuel flowing because of how huge that flame is.

Whatever you do, don't restrict them if trying to lessen the flame. Given the screwed up mixture, you could wind up with it belching black smoke.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 11:17:35 AM »
In the video below they call it an "air adjustment carburetor" or "air shutter". It adjusts or controls the air/fuel mix at the burner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB-0pGrNbyU
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 11:31:49 AM »
As many of us know, in order to adjust and fix things, we should baseline them as best we can.  Thus (if you haven't already) a thorough inspection and cleaning of everything in that burner should be done.  If that checks out, then you can adjust and well... be stumped!  because it SHOULD work better if it's all in spec.

Good luck and let us know!
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.