Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: grabbed a firepit off of craigslist; what to do about the handles  (Read 4749 times)

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
grabbed a firepit off of craigslist; what to do about the handles
« on: September 29, 2017, 07:16:34 AM »
Grabbed a firepit from someone on Craigslist last night and cant wait to put it to use.  This is my second weber scored off of Craigslist this week.  Grabbed an 18" Sam Adams kettle the other day and have plans to pick up a 26" kettle later tonight!

What are my options as far as replacing the handles?  Are they one and the same as the kettle handles?

Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: grabbed a firepit off of craigslist; what to do about the handles
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 07:20:08 AM »
Same as the single screw on the kettle
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 07:29:27 AM »
Weber use to sell the fireplace handles (part#61486).  1-800-446-1071          eRepacements also use to sell them but it is now a discontinued part on their website.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 07:31:17 AM »
Weber use to sell the fireplace handles (part#61486).  1-800-446-1071          eRepacements also use to sell them but it is now a discontinued part on their website.
Then i must have mispoke I thought they were the same
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 07:34:11 AM »
Then i must have mispoke I thought they were the same

You're correct, Joe. Any wood or older-style plastic handle will work on this handle strap.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 07:43:28 AM »
Great find, I am restoring one that I got from @Bob BQ this weekend!  Can't wait to use it!
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 07:51:39 AM »
I just recently scored one also with no handles, my 2 Chicago 5th anniversary handles are headed for it

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 08:11:56 AM »
Sorry, I was talking about the metal handle itself Joe. I thought @lksdrinker was asking about replacing the metal handle.  You are correct.  The single screw wood handles from the kettles will fit the fireplace also.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:14:11 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Hetron

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 08:49:31 AM »
FYI before using the fireplace, put a couple pounds of sand in the bottom.  I have found this will insulate the bottom and help keep the porcelain from cracking and crazing.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 09:45:49 AM »
FYI before using the fireplace, put a couple pounds of sand in the bottom.  I have found this will insulate the bottom and help keep the porcelain from cracking and crazing.

I completely agree with recommendation to use sand. Not only will it protect the porcelain, but it will also keep the fireplace from blowing away in a stiff wind.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 09:51:50 AM »
Yes same handles, you can buy them from @zavod44 .
May The Smoke Be With You!

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »
You can get a new set here.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/handle-fireplace-p-1475698.html
Let me know if you need some.  Mine will be much better than the lousy replacement ones Weber sells....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 10:19:23 AM »
You can get a new set here.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/handle-fireplace-p-1475698.html
Let me know if you need some.  Mine will be much better than the lousy replacement ones Weber sells....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
What he said ^

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 10:27:27 AM »
Awesome thanks for the info guys...I'll have to get in touch with @zavod44 for those handles!  How do you go about determining the age on these?

The guy I bought it from lit his first few fires before he read the manual.  He made sure to remind me to use sand before I light my first fire!  There is already some crazing unfortunately.

I completely agree with recommendation to use sand. Not only will it protect the porcelain, but it will also keep the fireplace from blowing away in a stiff wind.

I wouldn't have thought of the added benefit of the sand like that!
I just recently scored one also with no handles, my 2 Chicago 5th anniversary handles are headed for it
I guess its common for these handles to get lost ?
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!