Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Riddle me this, regarding your unused grill grates  (Read 1997 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Riddle me this, regarding your unused grill grates
« on: September 28, 2017, 11:06:53 AM »
If you don't use frequently use them, they rust or grow mold if there's enough grease to prevent rust. (Maybe not; see below. But in GA it was a given. For me.)

Now let's say you want to press that extra grill or two into service. You need those grates because your daily cook grate will be used on your go-to cooker.

How much effort do you perform to scrape off the rust to an acceptable level, or burn off mold?

For example I picked up 2 machines last week. Both have rusty but usable cook grates. I want to throw hot coals in, and scrape off some rust, and grease them, with or without cooking food on them.

But why bother, when the cycle will just repeat after I ignore them and cook on my regular grill grate?

a partial clue:

A third grill I just got is an AD code 26. Owner said it had just been sitting in his garage, unused, for like 2 years. The grate looks "ideal," lightly covered in grease but zero mold, zero rust. How??

Even if this is an SS grate (I don't remember when 26ers began coming stock with those) why isn't there mold? TN gets its share of humidity!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Riddle me this, regarding your unused grill grates
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 11:21:20 AM »
I know how you feel living in Ga. highly shaded back yard, mold is everywhere. I fire em up give them a good scrape and have grape seed oil in a spray bottle. If it is a grill I don't use often I try and remember to respray after the cook while it is cooling down helps a little. in the garage i don't think you get as big of a fluctuation in temps and maybe the humidity is lower due to less moisture available in the garage ?
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 11:29:42 AM »
I've just basically restarted grilling here in TN. Everything's on a shaded porch, which I value. In GA I had a grillzebo and they were also mostly kept in shade. One difference I've noticed so far is that here, we have this thing called "breeze" which frequently eluded the metro ATL. So that helps protect against mold.

I guess I'd generalize it into two categories: mold happens when neglected longer between cooks; rust just "never sleeps" and so on.

So you actually spray into a hot grill ?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »
I buy a food grade plastic spray bottle and poor the grape seed oil in it. High smoke point no accelerant. Breeze what is that? I only feel turbulence from spaghetti junction. LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 11:46:21 AM »
If you can gain enough velocity to detect turbulence at Spaghetti Junction, then you're ahead of the game there!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 11:54:16 AM »
driver 3 wood 7 iron and pitching wedge and i am there. I just can't see it

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 11:56:31 AM »
Zero.  I through the food right on the rust of the grate.  Honestly.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 12:02:28 PM »
Classic WKC logic going on here!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

steveOH

• Smokey Joe
Riddle me this, regarding your unused grill grates
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 01:39:39 PM »
I have no rust issues with mine but I plan on replacing all of my grates with stainless when the time comes. I hate rust and a stainless grate will last forever.
 I also only use a wood scraper I made and never a brush of any kind so I don't ruin the coating.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 02:24:24 PM »

What'd you say, son? You say magnets stick to the hot dogs? They've been Fortified with iron, boy!

bigredmf

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 03:15:16 PM »
If you pulverize fortified breakfast cereal and mix it with a magnetic stirring mixer you will find the magnet is covered in iron filings!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 07:22:30 PM »
Rust is a concern, with most of my cookers in storage for a while. Will probably invest in a lot of SS, when they come back out.
Still need a 22” yellow

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »
I just give mine a brushing, remember, some people BUY iron tablets, you're just adding it to your diet from the "source"....
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

1ROW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 08:42:55 PM »
I move my one stainless grate from grill to grill. One grate to clean, easy peasy.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 05:13:35 AM »

What'd you say, son? You say magnets stick to the hot dogs? They've been Fortified with iron, boy!

So far, so good... Mmmm, mmmm good!
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.