Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Riddle me this, regarding your unused grill grates  (Read 1990 times)

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
Re: Riddle me this, regarding your unused grill grates
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 11:55:17 AM »
I basically just let my grill preheat for a few minutes over the coals until I am satisfied that any (most?) combustibles have burned off, and then I scrub the bejesus out of it with one of those densely woven metal scrubbing pads before throwing the food on it. I seldom scrub the grill after I cook on it because it tends to contaminate the scrubbing pads pretty badly with mop sauce or whatever goop was on the food.  On rare occasions I will leave the vents open after I take the food off and let residual stuff burn off before I shut down after a cooking session. I never intentionally coat the grill with anything prior to storage, but in SoCal we don't have many mold issues, especially with the frequency that I use the grills. If I had concerns about mold I would probably spray it with a bleach solution before storage but I have no empirical evidence that shows that would even work.
Still searching for a food that does NOT taste better when grilled or smoked

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
Re: Riddle me this, regarding your unused grill grates
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 07:28:04 PM »
I used to clean the grate on my old 18" kettle by filling the body of the grill with balled-up sheets of newspaper, putting the grate on upside down, and lighting. When all the crud had burned down to ash and the grate was cool I would then brush it with a brass wire brush, then give it a light coating of cooking oil. That seemed to work pretty well.