Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Crate and Barrel  (Read 1392 times)

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Crate and Barrel
« on: September 12, 2017, 11:38:07 AM »
They are good folk. I went to fire up the blue Performer for its maiden voyage... yes, it is still a virgin... I took the cover off and found this:

It was fine when I put the cover on it, never been touched. Still brand new.

So anywho, they are sending me a new lid free of charge. I was prepared to BUY a replacement... didn't think they would replace it free of charge.  :) Really great  customer service, very friendly. Oh, and they told me to keep the damaged one...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Crate and Barrel
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 12:08:46 PM »
Seems like there should be gasket of sorts to protect the enamel when tightening any bolt on items.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 12:16:02 PM »
Seems like there should be gasket of sorts to protect the enamel when tightening any bolt on items.

I've got two other "taco" kettles that are fine. Not sure why this happened, Poor coating maybe...? Dunno. I know it was not over torqued.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 12:20:34 PM »
Did you or the store assemble it?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 12:20:45 PM »
Yeah I wasn't blaming you at all. Rather the design seems like it lends itself to the potential for damage.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 12:37:48 PM »
Maybe the quality of these kettles are going down?  I've worked on about 7 newer kettles in the past 2 years and it seemed like they are flimsier.  The porcelain and enamel  seems like it's much thinner compare to the older ones from the 90's that i worked on. Drilling a hole is much tougher on the older kettles.  Also the lid and bowl flexes much easier on the newer kettles.  There  are portions on the colored kettles  that's missing paint. Bubbles  among other things.  Just my observations. 

JV

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 01:05:12 PM »
I wonder if this damage has caused more replacements than the welded handle lids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 02:02:28 PM »

They are good folk. I went to fire up the blue Performer for its maiden voyage... yes, it is still a virgin... I took the cover off and found this:

It was fine when I put the cover on it, never been touched. Still brand new.

So anywho, they are sending me a new lid free of charge. I was prepared to BUY a replacement... didn't think they would replace it free of charge.  :) Really great  customer service, very friendly. Oh, and they told me to keep the damaged one...

Had the exact same thing happened on my crate and barrel performer when I purchased it new two years ago. They sent me a new lid. I think just the design of the taco handle lends itself to this issue

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 02:04:09 PM »
If you get a new one, I think Vader is looking for a blue lid.