Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: IT'S MORPHIN' TIME!!! (Red Ranger Restore)  (Read 4760 times)

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
IT'S MORPHIN' TIME!!! (Red Ranger Restore)
« on: September 05, 2017, 09:08:20 AM »
Ok, so I couldn’t resist the thread name but I feel I should clarify some things.  First, for those who understand the reference - Voltron is way better than Power Rangers, and second - it really isn’t a “red” Ranger, it is burnt orange.  Anywho, a couple of months ago, I was seemingly "one with kettle karma" and scored this Ranger for free.  It is actually a really great story that can be found here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/your-feel-good-story-of-the-day-kettle-karma-at-its-best-(lengthy-pic-heavy)/msg312401/#msg312401 .

Once I had some free time, I reached out to some of the grillfellas who I knew had Rangers with questions about restoration.  @cwestsmokin and @glrasmussen were kind enough to respond and help me out with pictures, links, and instructions with a template so I could make a new ash pan.  Also @TheDude was kind enough to send me some replacement hubcaps.  Enough talk though…on with the pictures!

I started out with the obvious scrapping.

Bowl scrapped out and off the frame.

Upon further inspection I was disappointed to see the bottom of the bowl.  LOTS of pock marks.  Ugly, but not the end of the world.  Especially since this grill is super low to the ground anyway.

After the bowl came the dismantling of the frame.

Once everything was apart, cleaned, and sanded (if need be).  The restoration process really kicked into gear starting with a fresh coat of paint for the legs (which each break down to 2 sections) and back cross beam that holds everything together and the ash pan rests on.

The lid and bowl got the Simply Green bbq cleaner with 0000 steel wool treatment and really came out nicely (LOVE that burnt orange gleam!)

The fifty + year old grates got a vinegar bath for two days with an oil drip tray from Autozone, my roti ring, and an old shower curtain combined with a huge contractor trash bag to act as the “pool liner.’

Soon it was time to start reassembly.  I purchased sheet aluminum from Home Depot and got some help with my father in law cutting it and hemming/bending it with a press brake using the measurements and template I got from @glrasmussen.  I did the bowing myself, which could have been better but after a coat of paint, it still looks awesome!  I even had enough metal for a second pan!

The frame went together nicely and thanks to @cwestsmokin’s detective work with his restore, I was able to purchase some NOS bicycle grips that nearly MATCHED the old grips.  (Side note, getting these dudes on was the HARDEST part of the restore.)  The grips are 7/8” diameter while the Ranger legs are 1” diameter.  Thanks to CWest’s suggestion of boiling water to soften the rubber and soap, I was eventually able to get the grips on the Ranger handles.

The last touch was something I came up with.  The bottom of the Ranger legs, the part that rests on the ground had two elongated holes from years of being set down/scrapped across concrete.  I didn’t want to make them worse so I found some coved patio furniture bumpers thinking I would either have to drill the holes a little bigger for the bumper stems, or glue the stems on if the holes were already too big.  As it turned out, they were a perfect match.  No more wearing down the metal!

The fifty year old grates came out of the vinegar bath and got cleaned up additionally with a steel wire brush attachment for my cordless drill and now look silver again.  I WILL be using these grates, they cleaned up better than I hoped!

At last the restoration is finished and I couldn’t be more excited with the outcome!  This Ranger looks great and I can’t wait to have the inaugural cook on it!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 09:15:04 AM by Lowbrass »
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: IT'S MORPHIN' TIME!!! (Red Ranger Restore)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 09:15:39 AM »
S L O W  C L A P! Nicely done man!
Still need a 22” yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 09:19:01 AM »
Damn. I'm done for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 09:21:14 AM »
Wow, nice work Lowbrass! Looking forward to seeing the first cook.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 09:21:38 AM »
Holy. Schnickies!  GREAT cleanup. Thanks for documenting this resto and sharing with us. Perfect RRR post, bud. [emoji106][emoji106]

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »
Wow! What an amazing restore. Great job! That ranger is ready to be cooked on for many years to come. Love that orange tint as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 09:40:29 AM »
WOW is all I got
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 09:44:22 AM »
Cool color, grand slam on the resto, and a whole new life for the Red Ranger. Man you nailed it! Well done and congrats!

In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 09:58:13 AM »
 Very nice restore. Looks awesome!!!

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 10:13:30 AM »
beautiful restoration!!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 10:28:49 AM »
Wow, that is BEAUTIFUL.  I think this is one of the first Rangers that I've seen where I can clearly tell the "Burnt Orange" rather than Red.  Fantastic job!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 10:32:36 AM »
Very nice job on the restoration.
Looks great.👍
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 10:42:41 AM »
Excellent work man!!! That thing looks badass!!! [emoji1303]

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 10:47:28 AM »
You are very lucky!  Grate restoration.   

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 11:01:39 AM »
Excellent job on the restoration!! It looks grate!
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner