Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vent position indicator  (Read 3549 times)

Jaronimo

• WKC Brave
    • Cooking in my Yard
Vent position indicator
« on: May 01, 2013, 01:47:44 PM »

I will clean that off and do a nicer job, but has anyone else come up with a way to know exactly how far open the lower vents are?
Copper colored Weber OTG, Black Weber OTS, Copper colored Weber E310, UDS, and a wood burning pizza oven.

Cooking in my Yard

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Vent position indicator
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 01:52:29 PM »
On my old (newer) performer, I had used blue touch up paint (to match the kettle) to mark the ring.

I thought about using some red paint to do the same to my current performer, but don't need it. For me it's either all the way open, or all the way closed.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 02:26:20 PM »
Here's a bomb idea! We make a wkc sticker with the vent settings! :o Ha Ha! Weber never thought of that! 8)

Marty!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 03:05:23 PM »
Anything is possible. I'll mock one up...

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »
Anything is possible. I'll mock one up...
That's Marty!

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »
Grate idea💡
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »
I can't wait to see it!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 04:35:41 PM »
I love the sticker idea. 

And Jaronimo, I just use a sharpie to make little hash marks with three circles-- a full circle for 'closed', a half-black circle for 'half', and an open circle for 'open'.   But like Troy, I don't actually use them that frequently, as most of my cooking is cone wide open.  But when I'm smoking something or trying to reduce the heat, it's pretty nice to be able to know where the vents are (If I'm maintaining temperature at, say 3/8ths and I need to turn the food or add coals or something, I'll choke the grill down completely for a few minutes before opening back up to 3/8). 
One of the charcoal people.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 04:47:38 PM »
Here's a bomb idea! We make a wkc sticker with the vent settings! :o Ha Ha! Weber never thought of that! 8)

Marty!

Nice, like the Walleye tape rulers they have here for the boat.(Slot sizes apply here)

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 03:07:55 PM »
I used a Sharpie to make three simple vertical lines on the ring, above the o.t. handle at barely fully open, half & barely fully closed. The result looks clean & simple. I don't feel it is necessary to label the marks because both extremes are labeled on the ring by the factory. I do a great deal of my cooking at 1/2 or 1/4 so having the marks is helpful, but I didn't want it to look sloppy.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 07:47:20 PM »
I made marks using a sharpie with circles with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and fully black on one of my grills.
kettles, smokers...