Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first freebie.  (Read 1526 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
My first freebie.
« on: August 04, 2017, 04:24:16 AM »
I posted to the topic below about a redhead I saw on a deck of a house for sale in the Realtor app. After I posted the grill in the wild I thought what the hell, lets ask about it. I contacted the listing agent via the Realtor app and told her I'm part of a club that collects, restores, and loves all things Weber Kettle related. I asked her if she would ask the home owners of they planned to take the red grill with them or if they planned to leave it with the house or sell at a garage sale. She passed my inquiry along and sure enough the owners got back to me and said I could have it when they closed on the house. I was SHOCKED!  Today is pickup day and here she is. Rough indeed but a nice red cooker and free to boot.  She's a EE (1999) OTS with a small fade line. The older couple bought it new and cooked on it all this time. They are moving to Arizona and are trying to downsize. I assured them I'll clean it up and respect it for many years to come. Kettle Karma is a real thing. I've given grills to friends and tried to be kind and helpful in the club because it's full of helpful and kind grillfellas.

Lime spotted in the wild!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=63141&share_tid=31229&url=http%3A%2F%2Fweberkettleclub%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D31229&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My first freebie.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 04:29:43 AM »
cool story, you never know unless you ask. She should clean up real nice grate score and a decent price !
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 04:50:11 AM »
Nice score! Goes to show it never hurts to ask, you may be surprised. Love the handle mods too!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 05:11:37 AM »
The foil on the handles is a great way to keep them clean and prevent the martians from stealing your grill.

The hunt & pick up was a little strange...but strange isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If you want more FREE grills just hit the FREE button on CL, the vultures dont usually see the free stuff as they're too busy jacking $ grills.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 02:41:34 PM »
Nice score. Next time it will be your E code.
Congrats

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 02:55:32 PM »
I agree HFG it was a bit out of my character but I figured what the hell. If I don't ask it will end up in the garage sale pile and I'd never know. Any worse than cold calling or knocking a door of a stranger? Don't think so.

The grates are in really awesome shape. The handles are all shit. It was foil tape and the adhesive gummed them up really good and I think it helped keep moisture in. They are rotted pretty good. Some battle scars but that makes it fun to look at.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 03:06:46 PM »
Congrats, that's a hell of a grill

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 07:41:37 PM »
Nice score!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 10:06:05 AM »
I don't do a detail clean of a grill I'm gonna cook on. I scraped the bowl and lid. Leg sockets are in great shape. Grates are great! Dawn and some 0000 and hit the exterior for a quick shine. Ready to cook.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 11:16:54 AM »
That cleaned up well! That will be a good cooker.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 02:17:03 PM »
Nice!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 02:19:17 PM »
She's a beaut! Love to see them get all hot and bothered.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 03:44:37 PM »
Free. Color. Nice shape, but banged up enough to fully enjoy cooking on. Great score!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers