Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beef Short ribs / Weber charcoal.  (Read 2731 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Beef Short ribs / Weber charcoal.
« on: August 01, 2017, 02:45:29 PM »
Cooked up some beef short ribs yesterday while working from home.

Seasoned with salt, pepper and onion powder. 

I used Weber charcoal and one charcoal basket.  I dropped two lighter cubes in the basket, lit them then filled the basket up with Weber Briquettes.  I have that about 20-25 minutes to let that get going with the lid off.  I added some 200 degree water to the drip pan.  Sous vide worked great for getting my water up to temp quickly.  Filled a pitcher part way with hot tap water then dropped in my sous vide to do the rest.  It might have taken 10 minutes to get that little amount of water from 120ish to 200.  I'll definitely do that again. 

Short ribs went on the grill and I added a few chunks of pecan and a few more Briquettes.  He grill settled in at 220-225. Once I got the vents adjusted I didn't have to touch them the rest of the cook.  The Weber charcoal burns very consistently. 

Ribs cooked almost 5 hours.  At 195 they were not probe tender yet.  When I pulled them around 201 the probe slide in like a hot knife in butter. 

I was still right at cook temp when I was done and probably had enough coals left for another hour.  I'm really liking the Weber coals. 

Ribs rested for a bit then got vacuumed sealed and then warmed up in my sous vide at dinner time for an appetizer while the main course was on the grill and I already had the sous vide going for two veggie sides.  The ribs tasted like they came right off the grill after a 15 minute sous vide at 175. 

What was left about 6 hours first lighting the charcoal.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:50:44 PM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
Re: Beef Short ribs / Weber charcoal.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 04:01:48 PM »
Nice cook

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 04:09:02 PM »
Those look incredible. I really liked the sample of weber coal that I used. I also noticed that they stretch really far. Great stuff.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Beef Short ribs / Weber charcoal.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 04:28:10 PM »
I have never lit a starter cube and put coals on top. Always use my chimney. Do you use that method often?
Oh yeah, those ribs look amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 04:40:11 PM »
I have never lit a starter cube and put coals on top. Always use my chimney. Do you use that method often?

I do all the time... in baskets and my slow n sear. Never had a problem with it. Mike mentioned using two... I have success with a single cube.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 05:16:55 PM »
Looks amazing! Great color.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 05:24:05 PM »
Sorry for my adult language here but Mike, you knocked it out of the fucking park! I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 05:31:07 AM »

When I am not in a hurry I'll just stick the cubes in the basket.  Like @inkaddictedchef1 this is a technique that works well with the slow-n-sear.  I've found with baskets since coals aren't piled as high two cubes works better than one.  I usually have to wait a little longer for the grill to get to temp this way vs using my chimney.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 05:32:14 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I forgot to get a pic of the ribs with a bite or cut out of them, but they were awesome. I love that beef is so simple as far as seasoning is concerned!

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 06:22:51 AM »
Awesome. Gotta try that out sometime.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 09:24:44 AM »
Thanks, Mike.  Thawed out some boneless short ribs that I'll be doing on Friday to celebrate the last of the 4 day work weeks this summer.   Hope that mine come close to yours ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 02:36:09 PM »

Thanks, Mike.  Thawed out some boneless short ribs that I'll be doing on Friday to celebrate the last of the 4 day work weeks this summer.   Hope that mine come close to yours ! ! !

BD

You're welcome!  They are so easy.  Salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoke.   

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 03:22:08 PM »
Great cook Mike!  Got to try that style ribs.  I start the coals that way sometimes.  It will start slower and more controlled for low and slow cooks. 
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 08:48:43 AM »

BD

Mine just went on the 26er.  Dusted with Montreal Steak.  Cherry chunks in the SnS . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 09:04:34 AM »

BD

Mine just went on the 26er.  Dusted with Montreal Steak.  Cherry chunks in the SnS . . .

BD

Happy cooking.  I hope you like them.