Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: PICKLES  (Read 1169 times)

fedex

• WKC Ranger
PICKLES
« on: July 31, 2017, 04:26:26 AM »
@Troy  here you go.  Give these a try who ever likes pickles (like everyone).  Very easy and really good.

Pickles

Ok, just because the brethren are so damn awesome, here's my pickle recipe. This is my home sized recipe that makes two quart jars or so.

Ingredients
• 4-6 medium cucumbers, or 8-10 small pickling cucumbers
• 4 cups water
• 2 cups white vinegar
• 8-12 cloves of garlic
• 4 tablespoons Sea Salt (Fine)
• A few sprigs of fresh dill, or substitute with 2 tablespoons of dill seed
• 1 teaspoon coriander seed
• 1 teaspoon celery seed
• 1 teaspoon mustard seed
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 2 Habaneros (optional)

Directions

Start by bringing the water to a simmer in a saucepan. While the water is heating, peel the garlic. For a subtle garlic flavor, use 8 cloves (4 in each jar). Use more for a stronger garlic flavor. Leave the cloves whole. Once the water is up to a simmer you can add the garlic and cook for about five minutes. While the garlic is cooking, prepare your cucumbers by slicing into quarters lengthwise for spears, or cut thin chips. After the garlic has cooked for five minutes, add the vinegar and salt and bring to a boil until the salt is dissolved and then remove from the heat.

In two one-quart canning jars (wide-mouth jars work best for this) add the fresh sprigs of dill and remove the garlic from the pan and distribute equally in both jars. Then divide the remaining spices between the two jars. If you want a touch of heat, add one Habanero, halved lengthwise, to each jar. Next, take the cucumbers and pack them tightly into each jar. Bring the brine back up to a boil and pour immediately into both jars, filling very close to the very top so that the cucumbers are completely covered.

Let cool to room temp and then refrigerate overnight. They are really good after sitting overnight, but amazing after another day or two.

(Originally at BBQ Brethren)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 04:28:02 AM by fedex »
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: PICKLES
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 05:12:26 AM »
Thanks for the recipe @fedex My wife loves pickles I will have to try this. It sounds really easy and quick too. I remember seeing a pickle recipe from Alton Brown that was much more intense and time consuming.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 04:42:53 AM »
This recipe looks great! My mother-in-law has her own recipe that's good too, but she ages the pickles in the jars for weeks, if not longer. Do you find that by "aging" them more than a couple of days they get better? Or do they taste about the same whether its a couple of days or a couple of weeks?
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 05:36:45 AM »
This recipe looks great! My mother-in-law has her own recipe that's good too, but she ages the pickles in the jars for weeks, if not longer. Do you find that by "aging" them more than a couple of days they get better? Or do they taste about the same whether its a couple of days or a couple of weeks?
They are awesome the next day and get better every day after.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 08:28:41 AM »
Do you use old picked jars or mason jars?  Just wash and rinse before filling?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 01:39:13 PM »
Do you use old picked jars or mason jars?  Just wash and rinse before filling?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I've reused pickle jars with no problems.  I actually save my Famous Dave's jars for that purpose.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 04:01:54 PM »
I found a recipe where you reuse the pickle juice from a jar of store bought pickles and just add more vinegar and salt. Cut up the pickling cucmbers and put them in the jar and let them sit for 6 or 7 days. I tried it and it was actually pretty darn good. However you can only do it twice before the juice is too weak to do it again. I love your recipe, i'm gonna give it a shot.