Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First impressions on the Slow 'N Sear Low Profile for the Summit Charcoal Grill  (Read 4768 times)

SixZeroFour

I have a confession to make: I'm a coal banker. :o

On most cooks I like to push the coals to the back as a quick and easy 2-zone setup. This was actually the initial reason I decided to take a closer look at the SnS - to protect the inner sidewall of the grill. It would provide a heavy stainless steel shield to protect that inner wall from the extreme heat of the charcoal and above average use that it will see in my backyard. I did have the luxury of checking out a 22" version at @Troy's place a few months ago and was impressed by the heavy construction so that made biting the bullet and ordering a bit easier...

Construction:

The SnS is very solid... 7lbs worth of 16ga 304 Stainless. It's one of those items that as soon as you pick it up you realize you are holding something of quality. It's not a cheap, mass produced tin accessory - this thing is hand made and means business!

Fitment:

The fitment against the sidewall of the grill is perfect, but I found that the heavy rods of the charcoal grate caused the SnS to high center slightly so it didn't quite sit flat or feel stable. A super easy fix yo this is to simply flip the center section upside down (See below). The lower support wire is not as heavy gauge so the SnS now sits flush and is sturdy in place.

Initial Impressions:

This thing really works. I had seen photo's so I knew it was capable of high heat searing... what I did not realize was how fast it accomplishes the task! The steaks below were placed over the heat zone (lid closed) for about 45seconde to a minute and it created some deep sear marks that I was previously unable to obtain:

Final Note:

After a few more uses and some dialed in technique the Slow 'N Sear will have a permanent home in my grill. At this point I've only had the chance to cook steaks so I will report back down the road once I try out some of the other uses.

[emoji106]
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Very nice. I had the opportunity to see the low profile CSummit SNS, as well as the Ranch SNS at @ramsfan's house last week. Excellent product that @ABCbarbecue is rolling out!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:28:51 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Good set of pics to show the set & setting.....maybe put a tag to this in "Product Reviews" ?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Troy

• Statesman
Nice review Matt! I also have the 26" SNS, did I refuse to show that one to you or something?

Also, if anyone plans to purchase a Slow N Sear, you can do so through one of these links and it will help support the club.
It won't cost you anything extra.
- available at amazon
- or through the ABC store

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Very nice. I had the opportunity to see the low profile CSummit SNS, as well as the Ranch SNS at @ramsfan's house last week. Excellent product that @ABCbarbecue is rolling out!

A Ranch Kettle SNS? I had no idea they made that! Wow! I never thought I needed one for the RK...but....man. May just have to put that on the wish list!

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer

A Ranch Kettle SNS? I had no idea they made that! Wow! I never thought I needed one for the RK...but....man. May just have to put that on the wish list!

https://abcbarbecue.com/product/slow-n-sear-rke/

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Great review and now I really need a SNS

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
Omg, between this and the thread I started I want one!  Damn my kids for needing frivolities like school supplies and electricity!! I'm going to have to wait until "Write-a-Check September" has come to an end.

(For those of you without children, Write-a-check September is a month celebrated by the school and associated activities asking for a friggin check for one thing or another every fifteen seconds (or it feels that way). This can also be celebrated by having to go to the office supply store, Target or Walmart damn near every night for some elusive supply, without which the entire human population will simply die, or at least that's what your kids are saying. I recommend the liberal application of mojitos. Smarter people than me skip kids altogether and go straight for grandchildren, where I'm told it is much more fun)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
I want a Sn'S Plus for my MT so bad !
I'm past the kids and checks problems.. my only problem is I can't get my hands on one here in The Netherlands :-(
You guys and gals are so lucky to be able to order stuff and get it. I can't even order 98% of the items on amazon here :-(

Someone please tell me again why I moved from Michigan to here. I forgot it again.

Maybe one day the Kettle Karma Gods will look down on my sorry ass and bless me with the chance to get my little hands on one.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Thanks for the review.  Any chance that you have tried the SnS low profile in a vintage 26er?  I'm wondering if it's a better fit then the standard SnS XL.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod

Thanks for the review.  Any chance that you have tried the SnS low profile in a vintage 26er?  I'm wondering if it's a better fit then the standard SnS XL.
+1

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador

+1

+2
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
If a sns turns a kettle into a smoker, what does it turn a smoker into? 

SixZeroFour

@Neil_VT00 @JEBIV @Mr.CPHo

Here are a few shots of the Low Profile SnS in an old style 26r. I'm not sure how well the XL matches up but this fitment is not too shabby at all. There is about 1-1/4" of gap at either side right to left, 5/8" gap at the back or "top" in photo 1, and the space between bottom of grate and the top of the SnS is roughly 1"

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Craig

• WKC Mod

Omg, between this and the thread I started I want one!  Damn my kids for needing frivolities like school supplies and electricity!! I'm going to have to wait until "Write-a-Check September" has come to an end.

(For those of you without children, Write-a-check September is a month celebrated by the school and associated activities asking for a friggin check for one thing or another every fifteen seconds (or it feels that way). This can also be celebrated by having to go to the office supply store, Target or Walmart damn near every night for some elusive supply, without which the entire human population will simply die, or at least that's what your kids are saying. I recommend the liberal application of mojitos. Smarter people than me skip kids altogether and go straight for grandchildren, where I'm told it is much more fun)

As a fellow parent I couldn't agree more! [emoji106]🏻

HOLY GRAIL: 1960s Glen Blue aka The Imperial