Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow n sear vs charcoal baskets  (Read 6774 times)

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
Slow n sear vs charcoal baskets
« on: July 21, 2017, 01:57:52 PM »
I'm not going to need too big a push to get over the line for a slow n sear.  I'm just wondering, what is the difference between this unit and using your charcoal baskets to create a two zone cooking setup?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Slow n sear vs charcoal baskets
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 03:45:25 PM »
SNS holds more charcoal so you will get longer burn time. The water reservoir also creates a great buffer to give you 2 zone cooking.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 03:49:57 PM »
Fuel efficiency, SnS has a water trough, turns kettle into a super easy smoker as far as temp control , and the SnS will last a life time . Best kettle accessory out there in my opinion

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 04:06:01 PM »
I will piggy back this thread with an additional question. Does it make sense to get a 22 sns to use in both the 26 and 22 kettles or does the 26 need the bigger size?

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 04:20:33 PM »
@HoosierKettle , all of the early reviews said that the 22 SnS worked great in a 26" kettle. I would love to have an actual user chime in, because I am getting ready to pull the trigger myself!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 04:36:07 PM »
  If you feel like playing around before grabbing a Slow N Sear, @56MPG came up with this large charcoal basket idea: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/a-bigger-better-basket-case/

I don't own a Slow N Sear, so I can't help with the original question.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 05:31:06 PM »
I questioned the need for a SNS but finally picked one up. I am amazed at the simplicity and how well it held temps for s long period of time.

You can absolutely smoke or grill just using the charcoal baskets.  The SNS just makes it easier.

Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
Slow n sear vs charcoal baskets
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 06:41:03 PM »
The Slow N'Sear XL must be AWESOME.  I made the extra large charcoal basket and used them in my 26 for ribs on the July 4th.  I set up the coal just as described in the Slow N'Sear instructions with two half pans filled with boiling water replacing the resevoir.  The kettle held 250 as if I'd set an oven; only time it dipped below was when I had to clear the ash.  It was my first time using my 26, but after a couple more cooks, I think I may even feel comfortable letting it go all night for butts or brisket.   Eventually I'll run it side-by-side with my KJ and compare results. 

I used an extra non-flip grate to add a second cooking level.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 06:42:38 PM by WhaleinaTeardrop »

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 06:54:43 PM »
When I flip the WSM I just picked up for 50 bucks I might feel flush and buy a slow-n-sear.  In the meantime, the @56MPG charcoal basket hack has completely transformed my cooking.  A full chimney of KBB runs my kettle right at 400, for over an hour.  And I finally got my Kettle Pizza setup north of 650 tonight-- cooked four pizzas in about 12 minutes. 
One of the charcoal people.

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 06:58:32 PM »
When I flip the WSM I just picked up for 50 bucks I might feel flush and buy a slow-n-sear.  In the meantime, the @56MPG charcoal basket hack has completely transformed my cooking.  A full chimney of KBB runs my kettle right at 400, for over an hour.  And I finally got my Kettle Pizza setup north of 650 tonight-- cooked four pizzas in about 12 minutes.

You are SO right.  I was legitimately SHOCKED at how well it holds temp now.  In hindsight, I really could have walked away/stayed inside/gone to the store or anything.  It'll take me a couple of more cooks to fully trust it, but man; with a few kettles and with SnS's inside, I could open a little rib shack on the side of the road....

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 06:07:34 AM »
Now I need a SNSXL too....

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 06:26:23 AM »
I'm not going to need too big a push to get over the line for a slow n sear.  I'm just wondering, what is the difference between this unit and using your charcoal baskets to create a two zone cooking setup?

Thanks!!

so far I have used the SnS for low & slow.....ribs & pork but....and hot & fast.....rotisserie chicken, burgers, steaks, kettle fried chicken & salmon.  you will not be disappointed.  holds temps well for low n slow 8+ hrs......excellent for searing steaks and for direct cooks, such as burgers....also excels as indirect cooking tool.  i have made great chicken before on my rotisserie....but my vacationing & visiting family (one of whom bbqs competitively) raved about the chicken with SnS/rotisserie combo ....."i can't make chicken like this....restaurant quality"  etc.  the SnS makes the kettle even easier to achieve great results because the temps are consistent  and steady.  i have done many cooks with my baskets and they work well, but the SnS is a clear upgrade.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

FrugalQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 06:50:07 AM »
I have to agree about the SNS+ being the best accessory for a kettle out there. Love my vortex too but SNS is just out of bounds. Slow smoke for a reverse sear on one side and grill fruits and veggies for a salad over the hot side at same time?  Yep, easy peazy.  It's like having a trailer smoker (not a large one)with a sear box too, all in a 22" kettle.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 07:48:16 AM »

If you feel like playing around before grabbing a Slow N Sear, @56MPG came up with this large charcoal basket idea: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/a-bigger-better-basket-case/

I don't own a Slow N Sear, so I can't help with the original question.

This basket mod is fantastic. It really makes me want the sns more not less. It confirms that I would like cooking with an sns but the sns would add the built in water reservoir and create a better 2 zone.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 07:54:30 AM »
However, I'm still too cheap to buy one. Rock solid temps and great searing are still very easy to achieve with baskets or big basket and a water pan.