Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Which Size Kettle for the two of us?  (Read 2739 times)

Chilliwacked

• Happy Cooker
Which Size Kettle for the two of us?
« on: June 29, 2017, 01:26:44 PM »
I have owned the regular 22" size for years.  Now it's just my wife and I and it seems like it may be a little big if we're not having company so I'm considering the 18" as we rarely cook more than a couple of steaks or chops, and a baked potato or two.   Would the 18" or even the Smokey Joe 14"  cut down on the briquettes?  The 22" doesn't like too few or it wimps out if the lid is on.  So what's an appropriate size for my needs?

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Which Size Kettle for the two of us?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 01:28:33 PM »
An 18” would suffice for 2 people and would require less briquettes. A lot of people here love the 18’s for that exact reason. But a Smokey joe would also work if you were just doing a couple steaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 01:36:41 PM »
I recently started using a red 18" with the three daisy wheels for those meals for two. I'm liking this smaller sized kettle.
Yes the smaller 18" saves on fuel. Are you using charcoal baskets in your 22"? 

Chilliwacked

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 01:53:47 PM »
Thank you for the quick replies.  I'm not sure what baskets are,  I've just always used the bottom rack.  The photo of the 18" looks like a nice size.  I'll have to actually go and look at them at a Canadian Tire or Home Depot or something to get a real idea.  Basically, two steaks or three chops and a couple of baked potatoes is all the room we need and I can always use my old 22" when needed for company.  So is the Smokey Joe 14" a better choice if the 18 is already close to the 22?  I mean, if I didn't already have the 22, I'd get an 18, but maybe the little guy would do the trick.  Also thought about the  "Go Anywhere" rectangular but the kettle shapes probably offer the best convection properties for an even cook. 

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 01:58:18 PM »
18's are handy grills. Not the best for indirect cooks but it can be done. They really shine for hot, fast, and direct cooks. The distance from the coal grate and cooking grate is small so that helps a bunch.
I'm a huge fan of the 18otg. Good luck finding one. You can just pick up an ots and add an ash bucket.

I personally am not a fan of 14 sjs. Too small for residential use. Camping or traveling..ok. have you considered an 18sj? It's smaller than a 22 and it's portable.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 02:00:04 PM »
I'd get a 18" Jumbo Joe.  Small footprint, a miser on charcoal and cooks like a dream.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 02:02:10 PM »
Once you start cooking more and cooking more than one thing at a time you will appreciate the extra size.  This is especially true when you cook indirect or use minion methods.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Chilliwacked

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 02:14:56 PM »
18otg?  Never mind.....figured that out.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 02:20:22 PM by Chilliwacked »

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 03:13:44 PM »
I bought my then 5-year old son an 18" to teach him to grill sausages and then use it for corn and potatoes when he's done.  Funny how it seems small to me, but my Joe Classic seems big....to the point that while I want one, a Big Joe seems like overkill.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 03:31:37 PM »

Using a 18" vs a 22" will reduce your charcoal usage. Here is Weber's recommended charcoal use for their 18", 22" and 26" for indirect cooking (1980's owners manual).  For indirect cooking, a 22" uses 50 briquettes, whereas a 18" uses only 32 briquettes (18 less briquettes every time you BBQ).

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 04:39:24 PM »
I traded my red MT for a red 18 with @indy82z and liked it so much I got a black 18 DO code for $15. I did burgers tonight on 22 briquettes. I think they are very underrated. Next cook will be the package of chicken thighs in the fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 06:55:59 PM »
I recently started using a red 18" with the three daisy wheels for those meals for two. I'm liking this smaller sized kettle.
Yes the smaller 18" saves on fuel. Are you using charcoal baskets in your 22"? 

Oh, nice, I want those skewers!!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Which Size Kettle for the two of us?
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 07:33:34 PM »
For just a couple pieces of quickly cooked meat, the smokey joe is adequate and a huge coal saver. I used mine tonight for the first time in 10 years. This thread is what prompted me to use it. Great little cooker. Keep the 22 for capacity when needed.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 07:37:29 PM by HoosierKettle »

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 08:04:25 PM »
I regularly break out multiple 22's. I will say, I don't use a lot of direct heat (aside from searing). I also use the kettles more than the stove, or oven. I also stockpile charcoal when it's on sale, so I don't fret over fuel consumption.
Still need a 22” yellow