Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SSP Ash Sweeps  (Read 3122 times)

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
SSP Ash Sweeps
« on: June 25, 2017, 09:50:04 AM »
Can I put the newer style as sweeps (part 7444) on an older SSP that had the older style on it?   I have a newer ash catcher to use that also assume will fit it.

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
Re: SSP Ash Sweeps
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 11:42:31 AM »
They worked for me.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 05:17:02 PM »
The 7444s will definitely work.  The newer ash catcher *might*, depending on the exact alignment of your leg sockets.  Before the modern ash catcher, Weber never worried about their exact alignment.  So you might get lucky, or you might need to make some minor mods to get it to fit.  There are plenty of options that we can help you with. 
One of the charcoal people.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 05:56:38 PM »
Has anyone ever came across an older bowl where the newer ash pan just fit with no mod needed?
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 01:14:03 AM »
Has anyone ever came across an older bowl where the newer ash pan just fit with no mod needed?

Yep, I actually have several times.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 10:37:25 AM »
I replaced the ash sweeps on my EE SSP's with much success.  However, like @mike.stavlund stated.  Leg sockets don't match up correctly for the new ash catcher.  It will take some convincing but they will fit.  Some use Hose clamps, some do some magic bending of the tabs.  I just snipped off the tabs, predrilled into the leg sockets and mounting tabs and dabbed a little HR paint and attached with SS Self Tapping screws on one.  I did the same pre-drilling and used SS Pop Rivets   No issues to note... Yet...   

Works as designed!

Good Luck!

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 10:59:08 AM »
I did not realize the leg sockets were different, thanks for the heads up.  I am sure I can make it work via one of the methods mentioned here.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 11:41:46 AM »
I did not realize the leg sockets were different, thanks for the heads up.  I am sure I can make it work via one of the methods mentioned here.

If I remember correctly from when I did my SSP, the tabs line up with the leg sockets, but the space for the tabs to stick into the leg sockets was either not there or narrower than the tabs.  I screwed and pop riveted mine in place.

Here is the mod I did.  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/2015-ash-catcher-on-ss-performer-mod/msg189283/#msg189283
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 11:43:32 AM »

If I remember correctly from when I did my SSP, the tabs line up with the leg sockets, but the space for the tabs to stick into the leg sockets was either not there or narrower than the tabs.  I screwed and pop riveted mine in place.

Here is the mod I did.  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/2015-ash-catcher-on-ss-performer-mod/msg189283/#msg189283

Up until the ash ring mounting changed to the socket-tab system, the leg sockets were welded onto the bowl at random orientation.
Some grills line up, some do not.

After they changed the mouht, all sockets are welded on with the appropriate orientation.

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 08:00:09 PM »
Sounds like i just need to pick up a ring and catcher and see how it does or does not line up and take it from there.   Anyone have an extra catcher and ring they would be willing to part with? 

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 04:26:42 AM »
Reviving this old thread to seek some guidance.  On the old ash catcher assembly with the thumb screw, there is a steel cross bar that fit between the sweep arm and the bowl which held the assembly onto the bowl.  The new 7444 doesn't look like it will accommodate the thickness of that bar, so I don't think it is possible to reattach the old style assembly using that cross bar.  Am I wrong?  Is this a case where it's necessary to use clamps of some kind to attach the catcher frame to the legs?

ABROB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 04:56:42 AM »
You are correct.  I believe some have found a way to drill or file out the new sweeps to accommodate the bar, but most simply find a different way to fasten the old assembly (usually wire or hose clamps).

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 06:12:55 AM »
Actually, I see from the restore @greenweb (with reinforcement from @MikeRocksTheRed ) that you can omit the washer in the 7444 and use the new sweeps.  I'll try that this afternoon.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/redhead-ssp-restore-underway/45/

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 06:16:52 PM »
Actually, I see from the restore @greenweb (with reinforcement from @MikeRocksTheRed ) that you can omit the washer in the 7444 and use the new sweeps.  I'll try that this afternoon.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/redhead-ssp-restore-underway/45/

How did it go? Yes, just take the H washer off. I added a small washer in the center to lock in the sweep rod.

Another option is to used the H plate in place as you would install it on any other kettles, but reverse the cross bar so it is not in contact with the ash sweep assy. Now you use wires to go thru. the inner leg sockets and around the cross bar to secure. Another clean install as no wires looping around the ash ring is visible from outside the ash ring/bucket assy.

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 03:25:05 AM »
I can say that this method seems to be possible to work with relative ease if you didn't bend the cross bar like crazy getting the thumbscrew out.  I had to use a hacksaw to cut off the old sweep arm, so my bar is bent up which made it super challenging to thread into the new receiver for the sweeps.  I got it through one side with some good old fashioned cussing, but can only get it partly through the other side.  I'll continue to work on that.  I think I can make it work, but if it gets too challenging, I'll use the method where you lash the basket assembly to the leg sockets.  From what I was doing yesterday, the flexing of the bowl must have caused a porcelain pop which was pretty frustrating.  It is great though to have fully functional sweeps in this grill!

Any particular wire you'd use to attach it to the leg sockets?