Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: El Diablo lump charcoal  (Read 4652 times)

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
El Diablo lump charcoal
« on: June 19, 2017, 06:42:06 AM »
Was at Food City the other day.  Food City is a grocery store catered to the Hispanics in our area.  The have been selling this Diablo lump and I have been always curious about it.  They make these whole spatchcocked chickens on a Santa Maria grill using this very charcoal.  Found a small 7lb bag so I can try it.  Cost was about $4 and change.  It's made in Sonora Mexico out of 100% Mesquite wood.  Their website shows how they make it.  The bag was super reinforced with fibers and was a challenge to open.  Once opened and poured into a chimney I found nice big chunks. I Like that.  Started easily with little sparking and spitting.  Made some chicken quarters and kept the temp around the 350 range.  You can detect some Mesquite flavor in the food.  Decent quality, nice big chunks and cheap.  You can get a 20lb bag at Sam's Club in my area for $7.78.  Not bad.  I would get it again and use it for short cooks.

OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
Re: El Diablo lump charcoal
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 08:49:02 PM »
Mexican BBQ flavor seems to be based on the use of Mesquite Charcoal.   Fajitas, cabra, etc.  were all based on the Mesquite fire-pit.   Gives a very unique flavor to the food.   I use it for chicken and some seafood from time to time.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 09:06:06 AM »
Hey thanks for the review, Dave. I wonder if the sell it in the Midwest? I'll have to check.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 07:36:10 PM »
I've been wondering about this. I always see the big bags at Basha's and Smart & Final. Thanks for the review.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 07:29:03 AM »
It is definitely cheap and readily available in AZ!  I have friend who uses it all of the time and seems very happy with it.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Yuminator

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 10:07:26 PM »
Thanks for the pic - Looks like nice sized chunks. Last week I saw 40 lb bags of El Diablo Mesquite lump at a Costco Business Center in So Cal for $12.99!