Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Which would you trust?  (Read 3202 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Which would you trust?
« on: June 11, 2017, 01:48:27 PM »
I'm breaking in a new WSM 22. I have the stock Weber thermometer on the lid and I have added a second smaller Weber factory thermometer just above the front access door to gauge the temperature closer to the food grate. Clipped on to the actual cook grate, I have my Maverick ET - 732 wireless thermometer.

The stock Weber thermometer on the lid reads 275. The stock Weber thermometer above the front access door reads 265. These two Weber thermometers consistently parallel each other up and down with the dome thermometer always reading about 10 degrees higher than the Weber thermometer located above the access door.

The problem is that the Maverick ET - 732 that is clipped on to the cook grate consistently reads 50 degrees hotter than the two Weber thermometers. The fact that the two Weber thermometers consistently parallel each other up and down would lead me to think they are more accurate than the Maverick? The two Weber thermometers are brand new. They have never seen heat before. The Maverick is well used. I don't know if that figures into anything?

Which thermometer would you think is accurate? The two stock Weber thermometers or the Maverick?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:48:10 PM by ramsfan »
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

bigssa

• WKC Brave
Re: Which would you trust?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 03:21:17 PM »
I would not expect the temp in all three locations to be the same as heat rises and therefore the temperature at the dome ought to be higher than the grate. Having said that, I generally trust a digital thermometer that I have tested with ice water to read 32 degrees and boiling water (at sea level) to read 212 degrees.

I think you should do the ice water test with the digital thermometer and the boiling water test with all three thermometers and see what each one reads. This ought to tell you which one is the most accurate. I would bet that the digital thermometer is the most accurate and if it is not then try to calibrate it or exchange it for a new one.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 04:49:49 PM »
What he said ^^^^^ .

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 05:54:37 PM »
UPDATE: My Maverick ET-732 has gone to that big Weber grill in the sky. It lives no more. Now I have to replace it. Does anyone have the newer Maverick ET-733 or the even newer Maverick ET-735? Any thoughts on these thermometers or is there another model or brand anyone can endorse? Thanks.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 10:47:27 PM »
UPDATE: My Maverick ET-732 has gone to that big Weber grill in the sky. It lives no more. Now I have to replace it. Does anyone have the newer Maverick ET-733 or the even newer Maverick ET-735? Any thoughts on these thermometers or is there another model or brand anyone can endorse? Thanks.

Gone to the grill in the sky  ...   they're pretty hard to bring down so, maybe batteries ???    Regardless, the ET-732 is, IMHO, the easier to use over the ET-733 and the ET-735.   I've read reports that the ET-735 has not been as well received as it older siblings.   You may want to look into the "Smoke" by ThermoWorks, many find it quite easy and reliable (and costlier) than the Maverick.

I price is a constraint, then go with the ET-732 ...

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 04:48:06 AM »
I love my 733. Once you use it a few times it's super easy to setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 08:35:08 AM »
I have a WSM 18.5" "Classic" that does not have the thermometer on the lid;so, for many years I have relied on my "Maverick" ET-732 and then the ET-733 which have never failed me. Also, within the last year I have bought some "backups" from Thermoworks.Com., i.e. "Chef Alarm", "ThermoPop", "Super-Fast ThermaPen,"Thermoworks RT301WA,"IR-GUN-S" which have proven very reliable.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 08:36:39 AM by tibas92017 »

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 11:02:14 AM »

Gone to the grill in the sky  ...   they're pretty hard to bring down so, maybe batteries ???    Regardless, the ET-732 is, IMHO, the easier to use over the ET-733 and the ET-735.   I've read reports that the ET-735 has not been as well received as it older siblings.   You may want to look into the "Smoke" by ThermoWorks, many find it quite easy and reliable (and costlier) than the Maverick.

I price is a constraint, then go with the ET-732 ...

SJ

I have tried new batteries in both the base and handset units. It keeps dropping the signal even when I'm only 10 -15 feet away. I can't get a reading from the base over to the handset. Plus, as noted earlier, I don't think it is giving me accurate readings of the temperature.

I have two brand new Weber factory thermometers mounted on the smoker that are both consistent with each other. I have the Maverick thermometer placed right between them (one below and the other above) and the Maverick is giving me temperature readings that are 50 degrees higher than the other two Weber thermometers.

I know everyone says that Weber thermometers aren't good, but I can't believe that I have two brand new Weber thermometers and both are bad units fresh out of the box?

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 11:10:38 AM »
1) Maybe give Maverick Customer Service a call ??

2) Weber thermo's are as good as their quality/price allows.   It's not a problem with Weber thermos so much as where it is located during the cooking process.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 01:43:38 PM »
2nd UPDATE:

Just tested all three probes in a pot of boing water. The probe on the base unit of the Maverick read precisely 212. Tested the big Weber thermometer up on the dome of the WSM lid. It read 200 degrees in boiling water. Tested the smaller Weber thermometer that sits just below the food grate. It read 195 degrees. I guess that confirms that the stock Weber thermometers aren't precisely accurate, only approximately accurate? You'd think that the folks at Weber would test these things as I did to make sure they are accurate?

Although both Weber thermometers were off by a little bit, I still can't figure how the Maverick thermometer was reading more than 50 degrees higher in the pit? The Maverick probe clipped to the cook grate was less than 3 inches away from the Weber probe sitting just underneath it? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

rjmitch89

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 07:21:23 AM »
Thermoworks Smoke is worth the price for a simple, reliable setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 04:25:39 PM »
I think the issue is that the bimetal therms are innately not 100% accurate...less about testing the thern
Grills

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 04:28:55 AM »
BBQ Guru or nothing
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 10:33:07 AM »
I have 2 mavericks the 73,and 733 I have not used the 733 yet got it real cheap so bought it.
I do not use the maverick for all cooks like say Pork butt I know it is going to be slow I can probe it after say 5 - 6 hours and watch the lid thermo for big temp drops but that hardly ever happens.
Temp is only a big deal when you get up around 195 to 200 then it is probe for tender and loose bone your done. I am different as only do these cooks when I have the time being rushed causes more issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 10:52:19 AM »
I got a Thermoworks  Smoke for Father's Day...and I love it! Grate and food probe with quick updates has really helped me dial in my snake burn configuration for 26 and my WSM for bigger cuts. Can't recommend it enough!