Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Food for a friend's family  (Read 940 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Food for a friend's family
« on: May 29, 2017, 06:17:25 PM »
A friend of mine's father has been in the hospital for some time and they all went down for a visit today. I said I'd make some food and bring it over for them after they got back home.  So, after a rain delay, it's finally cooking.

I mentioned the possibility of doing roast potatoes under the chicken and that was a popular idea. The herbed roast potatoes are a favourite of that family.

Royal Oak lump just starting to light up...

The food's on. I'm hanging out in the driest lawn chair I could find keeping him an eye on the food and listening to 80s music faintly drift over from another back yard wondering if the local skunk is going to wander through while I'm cooking again (this has happened the last few times I've barbecues at night - a skunk has wandered from one neighbours yard across mine and into the one next door. Fortunately it hasn't been spooked or paid any attention to me at all, just passing through...)

I'll be running the food over when it's ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Food for a friend's family
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 06:23:30 PM »
Great cause brother. Never did potatoes under chicken before. Sounds good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 07:29:30 PM »
YAY @Lightning ....  you are doing an Excellent job at being a good human!!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 07:37:41 PM »
Good job. Very nice.

vverewolf

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 07:48:35 PM »
Eagerly watching for the final result

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 04:26:04 AM »
That's a sweet gesture and a great idea with the potatoes. When mashing I boil them in 50/50 water and chicken stock. This will be a tasty meal. Pretty cool how the lid caught the fence lighting reflection. Like a ring of fire on the lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »
The rain came back partway through cooking last night so I ended up standing next to the barbecue holding up a tattered beach umbrella for about 20 minutes until it ended.  I only got a finished picture of the chicken before I carved it up. The potatoes got blasted in the oven to finish them off while the chicken rested and I carved it. They took longer than I expected.

The food was well received and everyone enjoyed it.  Apparently one of the family members kept pestering my friend to find out if it was ready yet and if I was on my way.

Canadian Bacon

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 11:59:22 AM »
Very nice of you to cook for friends when going through rough times.....It all looks good.....Im glad you blasted your potatoes in the oven...just because of the fact you have chicken drippings hitting those taters....I have seen people get sick from doing just that.I never cook chicken over top of any other meats just because of that....better to be safe than sorry.
Horizon Marshall RD Special Offset/Large BGE/Napoleon Gasser
22" Master Touch(Smoke) 2 Discada Cookers
Worlds Fastest Thermapens...Black and Blue