Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Memorial Day get together....  (Read 2050 times)

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Memorial Day get together....
« on: May 29, 2017, 05:05:04 PM »
Had a few people over today and life got a little bit busy.  Did 10 racks of Baby Backs in my Smoke Hollow and fired the RK up for some serious grilling.     @1buckie, remember when I said still used gassers because I couldn't imagine handling the volume on a kettle ? ;D

My numbers might be off, but I believe it's 15 pork loin chops, 22 bone in chx breasts, 10 boneless chx breasts, 14 NY Strips and 5 hamburgers.    Ended up finishing the BBs on my MiniRk, some sauced, some naked, but didn't manage to get any pics of that either. 

I have to say, I LOVE my RK!!!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 05:06:51 PM by demosthenes9 »

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: Memorial Day get together....
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 05:10:13 PM »
Outstanding!
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 05:24:34 PM »
Wow. That's a lot of work. Bet it was a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 05:30:36 PM »
Outstanding!

^^^^^  Yep....what he said !!!

I DO remember you saying that.....just love when people prove themselves wrong in spectacular fashion....no shame at all right there!!!!

PS: That pic is likely gonna end up somehow famous on the Internet !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 05:36:22 PM »
Looks great, nice work!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 05:58:18 PM »
[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 05:58:58 PM »
Thanks all.   yes, it was a great time and a stupid amount of work.  I decided to try out some of the Stubbs that I just bought.   Dumped a full chimney on each side of the RK pretty much corresponding to the flip up grates.    Bone in chx went on skin down first for some direct cook action covering both sides of the grill.  Flipped them all for some direct cooking on the bone side as well, then moved to indirect down the center of the Rk.  As the bone in chx started to be moved to the center, boneless breasts went down on the right hand side.   I saw that the coals were dying down at this point so I fired up another chimney.   While it was ashing over, the chops went down on the left.     Boneless chx got moved to the center also, grate got flipped up, chimney got dumped, then the NY Strips and the 5 burgers went on the right hand side for some direct action as well. 

I should point out that this all didn't go like clockwork, or "all this, then all that".   It was more fluid.  I started the bone in on the right hand side and after it filled up, then I went to the left.   Add in that the heat on either side wasn't exactly uniform, as it never is.   So, some of the chix on the right were the first to be flipped, then some on the left, then back to the stuff on the cooler part of the right, etc, etc, etc.   Rinse and repeat for everything that went on after that.    Man, stuff was flying everywhere.       "It's done, move it to indirect", "oh, wait, maybe it needs a bit more time, move it back".   "It's hotter there, so swap those two around", "Well hell, you only have 2 chops left, squeeze them in there"...

Basically, same kind of stuff you would run into during a cook on a normal kettle, times twenty bazillion it seems because there's sooooo damned much on there.    I was absolutely spent after bringing everything off the grill and sending it to the table.   

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 06:04:29 PM »
"Basically, same kind of stuff you would run into during a cook on a normal kettle, times twenty bazillion it seems because there's sooooo damned much on there.    I was absolutely spent after bringing everything off the grill and sending it to the table.  "

....know the feeling !!!!

Again, good show!!!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 06:07:06 PM »
Holy cow! pigs and chickens. That is a lot of protein right there. Hope you had enough people over to finish all that.  Great work!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 06:18:40 PM »
"Basically, same kind of stuff you would run into during a cook on a normal kettle, times twenty bazillion it seems because there's sooooo damned much on there.    I was absolutely spent after bringing everything off the grill and sending it to the table.  "

....know the feeling !!!!

Again, good show!!!

Buckie, even with all that, i can just barely imagine what you must go through when firing up 19 kettles or however many on some of your big cooks   ;D

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 06:22:18 PM »
It's actually probably easier as you can set different heats & coal areas / setups for different foods on different Kettles & then relax for a few moments while stuff cooks....what you're doing there is
"all in" !!!!!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 06:24:08 PM »
Holy cow! pigs and chickens. That is a lot of protein right there. Hope you had enough people over to finish all that.  Great work!

Had about 65 or so people over, but had expected more.  Believe it or not, there's not that much left.  3 racks of ribs, 7 pieces of bone in chx, 8 chops and a couple of pieces of Strip (someone inside had cut them all in half before putting them out on the table).   I'm par freezing stuff right now to be vac packed.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 06:26:23 PM »
It's actually probably easier as you can set different heats & coal areas / setups for different foods on different Kettles & then relax for a few moments while stuff cooks....what you're doing there is
"all in" !!!!!

Good point!  Damn, guess I'm either going to have tell my brother and sil that I want the RK I gave them back, or find a third  one   ;D

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 07:37:38 PM »
Wow!  That's quite the cook.  I've cooked for 60 before, but never such variety as you did!  Great job!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 08:46:03 PM »
You just gotta love the Ranch Kettle and a talented cook!!!